• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Eckerle is a lawyer.

ANP0002C.jpg

Paul Eckerle, MD, is a board-certified pulmonologist, specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of respiratory system disorders. Dr. Eckerle earned his medical degree from Saint Louis University School of Medicine. 

Maybe he got his law degree to represent himself in case of a malpractice suit.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Crawford got his MBA in Accounting in 4 years.

Welmer got two Bachelor Degrees, in Marketing and in Sports Business in his time at SLU

I believe Matt Baniak is a MD too.

One thing I don't want to get lost in any of this: Graduating from college with any degree while playing a D-I sport is a significant accomplishment. The sport is a full-time job with often insane hours in season and demanding part-time job in the offseason. Then they have a full-time college course load on top of it. It's a lot. The people who manage to get extra degrees are going above and beyond, and anyone who doesn't attempt to do this is not a slacker by any stretch.

CBFan and rgbilliken like this

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

One thing I don't want to get lost in any of this: Graduating from college with any degree while playing a D-I sport is a significant accomplishment. The sport is a full-time job with often insane hours in season and demanding part-time job in the offseason. Then they have a full-time college course load on top of it. It's a lot. The people who manage to get extra degrees are going above and beyond, and anyone who doesn't attempt to do this is not a slacker by any stretch.

This is 100% true.  For many of these student-athletes, it starts in high school when they take college level courses.  They enter college with numerous credits already in hand, making the two to three year degree feasible.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Actually getting his PhD will be less class time then he has now.  If he has to do research then he can pretty much control when that happens.  It clearly is doable if he really wants to do it.

During course work in the PhD, it could be tougher.  For example, doctoral classes are often once a week, so one road game could mean missing a week of classes.  But after coursework, it probably would be easier because Thatch could control his time more.

Echoing what @Pistol said, I have no idea how student-athletes do it.

I have been out on vacation last week and heading home now. I just wanted to say a couple of things about Thatch and Perkins. It seems to me that Thatch has a well developed plan for his life, and that he will carry it out. I believe getting advanced academic degrees is a major factor in this plan, and that he will remain at SLU for as long as he can or needs to complete these degrees. Playing basketball will make these plans affordable to him. I think highly of Thatch and hope he reaches his goals.

I think Perkins is trying to decide what is best for him, another year at SLU or to try to go professional, not necessarily at the NBA. I think he is currently looking for some kind of feedback regarding his current prospects before he decides which way he is going to go. I wish his him all the best, whichever way he decides to go.

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, almaman said:

graduating class in 2 years will shatter any records for career games played

Records on various Career Totals won't mean as much in the future as they do now.  We already have 3 year players (played before freshmen were eligible), 4 year, 5 year and and maybe 6 year players.  Per game records will be more meaningful.  

3star_recruit likes this

Interesting comments today from Frank C.  He has been right before, correct?  Once or twice?

First, and BEST NEWS, Perkins will graduate with his BA in May.  Congratulations Javonte.  He had to go JUCO due to grades.  Billiken Nation is proud of you.

Frank mentioned a program at SLU where if you have graduated, you can take 6 hours and remain eligible.  Frank said Javonte isn't wild about going to class.  He doesn't want to take 15 hours anymore.  Frank said Javonte won't be ready to go until September.  (Javonte said October in his interview.)

He also said Coach G has been to Europe recently and the Bills are on someone over there.

Frank C has Parker penciled in as a starter.

CBFan likes this

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting comments today from Frank C.  He has been right before, correct?  Once or twice?

First, and BEST NEWS, Perkins will graduate with his BA in May.  Congratulations Javonte.  He had to go JUCO due to grades.  Billiken Nation is proud of you.

Frank mentioned a program at SLU where if you have graduated, you can take 6 hours and remain eligible.  Frank said Javonte isn't wild about going to class.  He doesn't want to take 15 hours anymore.  Frank said Javonte won't be ready to go until September.  (Javonte said October in his interview.)

He also said Coach G has been to Europe recently and the Bills are on someone over there.

Frank C has Parker penciled in as a starter.

A starting lineup that includes Parker, Jimerson and Perkins would be interesting.  We'd have to score 80+ to win because we wouldn't stop anybody.

Just now, DirtyRican said:

My boys and I welcomed the team home Sunday and as they came off the bus my oldest (11) said to JP, "one more year Javonte".  He laughed as he was fist bumping my boys and my oldest said he winked at him as he was walking away.  I told him it was nothing but he is convinced he will be back.  

or watch your back with man/boy winks   :)

Already have him pencilled in to play next season in midtown. Let’s roll. All signs (maybe my delusion) point towards him staying. In all seriousness, congratulations on the degree. That’ll serve him well in life and it’s well deserved.