Travis Ford is not a good coach

Bonner89

8 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Then he needs help with player evaluation and player development.

When I look at the roster that played this year I don’t see an NCAA tourney team.

Remember, for each of the past three seasons, this board proclaimed "this is the deepest team on record". 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Remember, for each of the past three seasons, this board proclaimed "this is the deepest team on record". 

I've learned this over the last few years. 

I know longer care about being deep, I want a good 6 +1

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I mean, sure.  Most teams who lose their best player, and then have a player like Linssen disappear after injury wont make it to march. Okoro played for the first time in a year and a half, and it showed early on. 

Nesbitt is a freshman, and Fred didn't get going till way later.  I think we had to much stock in them. 

Injuries are part of the game, sure.  If Perkins and Linssen don't get insured, are we 4 seed or 5 seed?

Also I could be wrong but isn't player development supposed to be a Corey Tate thing?

We’ve never had a team that could have lost their best player ( preseason 1st team all conference)  in the exhibition game and made the tournament.

We’ve never had a team that could have lost their best player in the exhibition game and then their next best player ( 1st team all conference ) and then win an NIT game. 

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

In fairness, I still think last years team was maybe the “deepest team on record.”

50 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I sadly remember thinking this team was the deepest ever, fail.

I thought Hargrove would be a double digit scoring machine, fail

Nesbitt did not make up for Perkins loss I thought he could be like Kurt Warner replacing Trent Green, fail.

I thought Williams could score like Isabell, fail.

I thought Strickland would make a big jump offensively and be a great defender, fail.

I thought Lorentsson would get some meaningful minutes on the court, fail.

Thatch, Collins, Okoro, and Jimerson improved but that does not make the team deep.

Jones and Linssen were good backups.

Next season I am tempering my enthusiasm because this season after the Perkins loss I could not have been more wrong.

7 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Nesbitt did not make up for Perkins loss I thought he could be like Kurt Warner replacing Trent Green, fail.

I thought Strickland would make a big jump offensively and be a great defender, fail.

Thatch, Collins, Okoro, and Jimerson improved but that does not make the team deep.

Next season I am tempering my enthusiasm because this season after the Perkins loss I could not have been more wrong.

Did you have these kinds of expectations with Soderberg or Crews?

Just a little perspective. Maybe it was the 3 straight 20+ win (or .600+ win) seasons that gave you this impression.

slufanskip likes this

1 minute ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Just a little perspective. Maybe it was the 3 straight 20+ win (or .600+ win) seasons that gave you this impression.

Yes, I have those expectations for every Billikens coach.  Soderberg and Crews failed but the expectation for SLU to win is important to me.

I wrote Chris May asking him to fire Crews I was so disappointed.

Coach Ford has built a consistent winning program.  Coach Ford has ran into some horrible luck that has also kept his teams out of the big dance such as Situation 2, COVID, and losing Perkins.  The incredible run in the A10 tournament will always be one of my favorite memories of the team and I still have all 4 games on my DVR.

What is tempering my expectations is how the season ended and the players mentioned did not play like I thought they would.

I am a season ticket holder I will be back next season and beyond but I can be disappointed and its okay to have lower expectations.

The season ended horribly, period.

billiken_roy and drkelsey55 like this

25 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

15 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Yes, I have those expectations for every Billikens coach.  Soderberg and Crews failed but the expectation for SLU to win is important to me.

I wrote Chris May asking him to fire Crews I was so disappointed.

Coach Ford has built a consistent winning program.  Coach Ford has ran into some horrible luck that has also kept his teams out of the big dance such as Situation 2, COVID, and losing Perkins.  The incredible run in the A10 tournament will always be one of my favorite memories of the team and I still have all 4 games on my DVR.

What is tempering my expectations is how the season ended and the players mentioned did not play like I thought they would.

I am a season ticket holder I will be back next season and beyond but I can be disappointed and its okay to have lower expectations.

The season ended horribly, period.

These are both good posts. I'm right around here, and think next season is when people can piss and moan all they want if we don't make the NCAAs. 

dlarry likes this

58 minutes ago, CBFan said:

yep u said it  yourself  your a failure :) I thought we had  2 starting lineups with our first 10. did not happen.

@Soderball:  what I'm advocating is keeping Ford.  Period.  Satisfied?  I don' want to start over.  

But there are contingencies in that keeping him.  They have been stated numerous times here over the last year ---- better than a fifth or sixth place finish in the A10.  Getting into the tournament on a consistent basis.  Beating some top 25 - 50 teams.  Winning in the tournament.  I personally don't know how he does that ---- is it hiring a better staff?  Is it hiring a player developer?  Is it recruiting more complete players?  Is it getting basketball religion and changing your offensive and defensive schemes?  I don't know.  But it is Ford forward.

I will also say this:  if this kind of conversation occurs this time next year, the Ford fiesta is over.  Next year's head coach's seat starts out lukewarm.  It won't likely get hot until conference play, if it gets hot at all.  Let's go from there.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

most of the above is a fail imo because they were not afforded opportunities to become such.   at some point they will lose confidence and rot or give up. 

33 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Soderball:  what I'm advocating is keeping Ford.  Period.  Satisfied?  I don' want to start over.  

But there are contingencies in that keeping him.  They have been stated numerous times here over the last year ---- better than a fifth or sixth place finish in the A10.  Getting into the tournament on a consistent basis.  Beating some top 25 - 50 teams.  Winning in the tournament.  I personally don't know how he does that ---- is it hiring a better staff?  Is it hiring a player developer?  Is it recruiting more complete players?  Is it getting basketball religion and changing your offensive and defensive schemes?  I don't know.  But it is Ford forward.

I will also say this:  if this kind of conversation occurs this time next year, the Ford fiesta is over.  Next year's head coach's seat starts out lukewarm.  It won't likely get hot until conference play, if it gets hot at all.  Let's go from there.

I agree that if he does not leave this year then his seat should be getting warm going into next year. Their defense especially is BAD. They need another big which I'd guess through transfer portal.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:49 PM, cgeldmacher said:

I say that his ceiling is higher, because Ford has never had a chance to showcase a fully intact team in a fully intact season.  Whether it is one of the Situations, to Covid, to Perkin's injury, it seem like he's never got the opportunity to put together the season that, I believe, could propel the program to the next level.  When you can recruit like Ford and motivate your players to play hard like Ford, I think that this is within his reach to get the program to a regular spot at the top of the A-10.  The next step after that is regular success in the tournament.

Agree 100%

3 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Take a couple days to let the disappointment of these last two games dissipate a bit, then look at the state of the team and program. 

I don’t need two days.

I’m not disappointed about last nights game. I was extremely disappointed about the Davidson game(s) but that has faded.

Ill admit Ford has gotten the Bills to a sustained level of success. He has shown he will consistently win 20 games, be a top 100 team, and play in the NIT. 
I may be greedy but that’s not enough for me. I want the top 50 program we were told about when Chaifetz was built. I want NCAA tourneys and I want to sniff the second weekend.

I’m not saying Ford should be fired but I think his seat should be getting warm. 
Every year has had some type of excuse and I’m tired of it. We need to start seeing results! 

Bizziken likes this

31 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I don’t need two days.

I’m not disappointed about last nights game. I was extremely disappointed about the Davidson game(s) but that has faded.

Ill admit Ford has gotten the Bills to a sustained level of success. He has shown he will consistently win 20 games, be a top 100 team, and play in the NIT. 
I may be greedy but that’s not enough for me. I want the top 50 program we were told about when Chaifetz was built. I want NCAA tourneys and I want to sniff the second weekend.

I’m not saying Ford should be fired but I think his seat should be getting warm. 
Every year has had some type of excuse and I’m tired of it. We need to start seeing results! 

Absolutely on the bolded part. Top 100 team that plays in the NIT does not interest me in the least. This program has the facilities and everything to be a top level A-10 team. Can Ford do it? The clock is running. 

dlarry and brianstl like this

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There's no such thing as a coach that makes the NIT evey year that doesn't eventually make the tournament.  It's just a matter of time.

It would seem you'd be right because one of two things are going to happen:

1--As you said, that coach eventually figures it out and makes some NCAA noise

OR

2--The school involved gets tired of waiting and fires the coach.

Just now, JettFlight5 said:

It would seem you'd be right because one of two things are going to happen:

1--As you said, that coach eventually figures it out and makes some NCAA noise

OR

2--The school involved gets tired of waiting and fires the coach.

Using the MBM standard, the coaches at Boise St. and Richmond would have been fired years ago.

cgeldmacher likes this

18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Using the MBM standard, the coaches at Boise St. and Richmond would have been fired years ago.

I am really happy for Richmond and coach Mooney.

Richmond stayed patient and were rewarded with a win in the big dance against a B10 team.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I don’t need two days.

If you remember it wasn’t enough for even Biondi. Remember when he dumped being a top 50 on Grawer.

7 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

While we’re on this topic, can anyone explain where the SVU nickname came from when discussing Dayton?

They still wear those things. Multiple sightings in their gym every time I've been there, and there's always some SVU fan defacing our building by going sans sleeves in the 'Fetz.