Travis Ford is not a good coach

Bonner89

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

In Fords 6 years here we have twice finished top 4 of the conference and never top 3. So 2/6 on your scale

The NET hasn't been around all 6 year but let's look at kenpom as a comparable. Admittedly not exactly the same. We have done that 3/6

We have made 1 NCAA Tournament. 1/6

So we are 6/18 (33%) on your success scale. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for your lord and savior Travis Ford.

As Brian said, we were not particularly close to the most affected by it in 2021.

And one of the hottest teams in the country in 2020? That may be the biggest revisionist history I've ever read. We finished the year with 5 straight wins beating the 3rd, 5th, 8th, 13th, and 12th place teams in the conference. At a quick glance of 40 schools, 17 had a winning streak of at least 5 games including our own conference mate in Dayton who had won 20 straight including 2 over us. This board has completely rewritten history for that season. I'm surprised you guys haven't asked Chris May to hang a banner for that season yet.

This board points to a lot of excuses/reasons for Fords lack of success which is fine but eventually results matter. Some people have such low expectations that 1 NCAA Tournament in 6 years is acceptable so I can't help those who think 20 wins and no postseason wins is a success but i have my sights set on actual success. 

Just to save time, I prepared next year's excuses

1) Perkins came back but wasn't 100% but we revolved our offense around a 6th year senior coming off ACL surgery. Can't blame Ford for that

2) Perkins came back and was an All American but Ford started him slow to build him up and we lost early games. Can't blame Ford for that.

3) Perkins left and we didn't have a backup plan for a 6th year player. Can't blame Ford for that.

4) Jimerson. This board loves to blame Jimerson because he doesn't show emotion like Hargrove

5) Not enough depth. Can't blame Ford for that

6) The players Ford recruited aren't good enough. Can't blame Ford for that.

7) There was a pandemic 3 years ago. Not Ford's fault.

8 ) The refs don't like crossing the Mississippi River. Can't blame Ford for that.

9) The sun was in Ford's eyes

10) Winters are cold in St. Louis

I had taken a month long break from this board because of the stupidty, the conspiracy theories, and the Travis Ford cok sucking. Turns out it really needed to be a much longer break. See you guys in December.

Ford is not  1 in 6 for the NCAA at SLU.  THERE WAS NO TOURNAMENT IN 2020.  So 1 in 5.  You going to count his first year?  He came in late and had a Crews roster.  1 in 4.  Give a coach at least 2 recruiting seasons to get his system and players in.  Now 1 in 3.  That is more close to reality.  Ford is one of the best 3 coaches SLU has had in the 4 plus decades I have followed them. Continuity will bred longterm success.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Is it delusional expectations to want to beat a top 25 team at some point? It has only been over nine years since we last did that.  Is it delusional to think the program should finish in the top three in the conference was in a while?

I thought you said above SLU was top 25 in all the computer rankings when they were shut down. Was it 9 + yeas? Wasn’t it 9 + years? 

Im done here Brian have a nice evening. 

Just now, slufanskip said:

Lol. You’re ridiculous. I didn’t move the goal post at all you did. I said SLU was hit the hardest with a 30 day break.

You said the weren’t. They weren’t even close to being hit the hardest. Then you claim Baylor was, well in fact Baylor wasn’t. Not in practice pause or time between games. Now you are saying they were comparable pause in basketball activities. Who’s moving the goal post? I didn’t say no one else was comparable.

You said SLU wasn’t close to being hit the hardest. I’m still waiting for the list. 

Again we weren’t the hardest hit team in the country in any way when it comes to COVID as was originally claimed and is the post I responded to.  Then you came in wanting to limit to tournament teams were shutdown for 30 days and I gave you a comparable team when it came to the shutdown the program actually had.  Then you moved it to days between games.  

Hell, I believe every player on Loyola had it last season. The had to shut down preseason practices and delayed the start of their season by a month.  We weren’t some unicorn out there alone with what we want through.

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I thought you said above SLU was top 25 in all the computer rankings when they were shut down. Was it 9 + yeas? Wasn’t it 9 + years? 

Im done here Brian have a nice evening. 

Your problem is reading comprehension. We did not beat a top 25 team last season which is what I said we haven’t done in 9 years.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Again we weren’t the hardest hit team in the country in any way when it comes to COVID as was originally claimed and is the post I responded to.  Then you came in wanting to limit to tournament teams were shutdown for 30 days and I gave you a comparable team when it came to the shutdown the program actually had.  Then you moved it to days between games.  

Hell, I believe every player on Loyola had it last season. The had to shut down preseason practices and delayed the start of their season by a month.  We weren’t some unicorn out there alone with what we want through.

The season started on 11-25, Loyola played their first game 12-5. 

I didn’t limit it to tournament teams. I said we were hit the hardest. You said no we weren’t. We weren’t even close to hit the hardest. I then asked who was hit harder and how many of those made the tournament. You responded Baylor. Baylor and they won the National Championship. Had you said Baylor was close to the same and they won the National Championship, I would have acknowledged that as correct. And that’s 1 team, you stated we weren’t even close to being hit the hardest? 

The reason I brought the tournament into it was to make the point that even if you could find a few they probably weren’t successful either. You found 1 Baylor who using the old math that I still use wasn’t hit as hard, but yes was hit very hard and in fact still had a successful season and won the tournament. 

11 hours ago, A10Ref said:

Also, given McKillop has only won a tournament game with arguably the greatest guard to ever dribble a basketball, do we over emphasize the need to win games in the tourney (he’s 0-9 without Curry)? If not, Mckillop should be fired to MBM standards. 

There were multiple metrics discussed NCAA/post season wins, conference place, NET etc they are up for debate.

McKillop took a team from independent and upgraded conferences 3x, had a deep tournament run in his past and won the conference this season taking Tom Izzo Michigan State to the wire.

So no one would advocate firing him and your sensationalism detracts from civil discussions about what are reasonable expectations for a Head Coach at SLU.

Schasz likes this

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I have a source. Don't believe it if you don't want to. Why else would he leave with JP coming back. Could've at least made one more run then left for the final year. He was tired of Ford's crap..

You don’t have a source. I don’t believe you. You have consistently bashed Ford, and it is clear that this ‘inside information’ is too convenient. 

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

This guy is the definition of troll. Please get rid of him

Trollers got to troll.

He’s lonely and getting the bad attention he craves.

The troll has never had a source but today he does, shocker.