Travis Ford is not a good coach

Bonner89

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

What this team needs is for a couple of next years recruits/any transfers to be better than our current rotation and get major minutes. Guys will only get so much better, you need better talent. I think Ford can bring that in, but running it back with just adding Perkins is not enough.

losing linssen hurts more than gaining Perkins imo. 

I think the average fan of this team is finally adjusting to who this team is. A very talented team, that is still trying to find an answer against tough defenses. We are hit and miss in those games, really good until the defense hits a groove and then we get stuck. Nesbitt has shown flashes of greatness, he will be there next year.

Perkins would have solved that problem. He is instant offense when things break down. He doesn’t need a set up. Ball on the wing or the top or even the inside, and he takes 2 seconds to score. No one can really stop him.

I did not expect us to beat Richmond. We are in a tough position, because we need to bounce back against URI on the road. This game is the one that matters for posterity. Home against VCU is tough as well. At this point, I just want 20 wins in the season for the record books. After that, I want this team and the coaches to align mentally for the tournament. 

I have mentally given up on us winning the A10 tourney, but I also gave up on that dream in 2018-19. I wish the coaching staff could find an answer for these dry spells in tough games, but some times there just isn’t an answer that will work out today.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I think the average fan of this team is finally adjusting to who this team is. A very talented team, that is still trying to find an answer against tough defenses. We are hit and miss in those games, really good until the defense hits a groove and then we get stuck. Nesbitt has shown flashes of greatness, he will be there next year.

Perkins would have solved that problem. He is instant offense when things break down. He doesn’t need a set up. Ball on the wing or the top or even the inside, and he takes 2 seconds to score. No one can really stop him.

I did not expect us to beat Richmond. We are in a tough position, because we need to bounce back against URI on the road. This game is the one that matters for posterity. Home against VCU is tough as well. At this point, I just want 20 wins in the season for the record books. After that, I want this team and the coaches to align mentally for the tournament. 

I have mentally given up on us winning the A10 tourney, but I also gave up on that dream in 2018-19. I wish the coaching staff could find an answer for these dry spells in tough games, but some times there just isn’t an answer that will work out today.

Here is a good way to think about, let’s say that at the start of the 2011-12 season, Kwamain Mitchell goes down. He was the expected leading scorer. Lots of talent on the team. Is Jett ready to fill that void? Can the rest of the team step to fill the void and make the Tournament? Maybe, but I doubt it. That said, tournaments are tournaments, talent, luck, and defense can go a long way.

3 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

What this team needs is for a couple of next years recruits/any transfers to be better than our current rotation and get major minutes. Guys will only get so much better, you need better talent. I think Ford can bring that in, but running it back with just adding Perkins is not enough.

Agree.

When I look at this roster I don’t see a lot of guys who would get a lot of minutes on a top 25 team. 

5 minutes ago, willie said:

This is crazy. 

Why? 

we have 4 other players at the wing position. Perkins is better than all, yes, but the gap isn’t as great as the loss of linssen. 

do you think we’re a better team with 11 more minutes of traore?  

better yet, which gap is closer.

fred/GJ/Nesbitt to Perkins 

or

traore to linssen 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Why? 

we have 4 other players at the wing position. Perkins is better than all, yes, but the gap isn’t as great as the loss of linssen. 

In this scenario you would be adding Javonte + the new incoming players.  Yes...they would be better next year.

1 minute ago, Coach314 said:

In this scenario you would be adding Javonte + the new incoming players.  Yes...they would be better next year.

That has nothing to do with what I said or asked.

I said that gaining Perkins does not out weigh losing linssen. Has nothing to do with other recruits. Also did not say we would not be better next year. 

this has to do with being stacked at one position, and being very thin and inexperienced at another 

5 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

dont worry coach like every other year.  we will take five potentially good players, let 3 of them rot on the bench to the point that when we get to march we all consider them 3 we loved in October as horrible players that need to be recruited over.    

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Why? 

better yet, which gap is closer.

fred/GJ/Nesbitt to Perkins 

or

traore to linssen 

Perkins was the favorite to be A10 player of the year. He is what this team desperately needs. Someone who can create his own shoot. Linssen ,while a good offensive player is a liability on defense. His minutes are decreasing. Yes your statement is crazy. 

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I said that gaining Perkins does not out weigh losing linssen. Has nothing to do with other recruits. Also did not say we would not be better next year. 

this has to do with being stacked at one position, and being very thin and inexperienced at another 

Traore is more of an athlete than Linsson, also a better shot blocker and rebounder.  Linsson is far better in all offensive and team play aspects.  Can Traore make a giant leap over the off-season? ..... maybe.  But my guess, Ford brings in a transfer to fill the gap. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, willie said:

Perkins was the favorite to be A10 player of the year. He is what this team desperately needs. Someone who can create his own shoot. Linssen ,while a good offensive player is a liability on defense. His minutes are decreasing. Yes your statement is crazy. 

Let’s get another PG too and drop okoro, apparently you don’t need bigs. 

Just now, WVBilliken said:

Traore is more of an athlete than Linsson, also a better shot blocker and rebounder.  Linsson is far better is all offensive and team play aspects.  Can Traore make a giant leap over the off-season? ..... maybe.  But my guess, Ford brings in a transfer to fill the gap. 

Correct if ford gets another big that has quality then good, I’m saying if we go into next season with just okoro and traore, I don’t think adding Perkins gives us the next big step into the tournament. 

26 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Here is a good way to think about, let’s say that at the start of the 2011-12 season, Kwamain Mitchell goes down. He was the expected leading scorer. Lots of talent on the team. Is Jett ready to fill that void? Can the rest of the team step to fill the void and make the Tournament? Maybe, but I doubt it. That said, tournaments are tournaments, talent, luck, and defense can go a long way.

If I am not mistaken - if so please correct - the year KM was suspended wasn't that the only  losing season RM ever had?  I know that Reed also was not there so losing 2 was a bigger deal.

Coaching involves recruiting, getting the most effort from your players, X & O's (including in-game adjustments, scouting, etc) and luck.  Dating back to John Benington (the first Billiken coach I can really remember) we have had 4 coaches (out of 13 total)that I felt confident could outcoach their opponent.  Benington, Polk, Spoonhour, and  number 1: Majerus.  I was told  that he was meticulous in scouting, preparation, and every detail of the game.  He prized every possession.  No knock on Ford-he recruits well, gets a lot of intensity out of his players, but we are often too careless with the ball.

billiken_roy likes this

47 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Lol if Javonte decided to return (which I don't think he will)...one of those players at that stacked position would "decide" to transfer to free up room for a big.

49 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

dont worry coach like every other year.  we will take five potentially good players, let 3 of them rot on the bench to the point that when we get to march we all consider them 3 we loved in October as horrible players that need to be recruited over.    

I hate when teams do that

11 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

We simply need a coach who doesn’t put 5 guys on the floor who will go 0 for 10 in crunch time.

Agree, more games have been lost by players not making the shot, or from a lamebrain turnover, than from coaching.  Yes, sometimes the coach screws up, and Ford has ...... but more often the players fail to execute the plan.  IMO.

AGB91 and majerus mojo like this

2 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Agree, more games have been lost by players not making the shot, or from a lamebrain turnover, than from coaching.  Yes, sometimes the coach screws up, and Ford has ...... but more often the players fail to execute the plan.  IMO.

fair so you’re arguing Ford isn’t a good enough recruiter. Definitely fair take

39 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

fair so you’re arguing Ford isn’t a good enough recruiter. Definitely fair take

Ford is a good recruiter.  Among the best in the A10, but given the facilities and resources he has, good recruiting should be expected.  Dayton is probably consistently the best in the A10, but SLU, Davidson, St. Bonaventure, Richmond and maybe one or two others are consistently mid-major good.  

Now the class he has coming in may end up being great, but I for one, am in the wait to see mode.  Seems like he is missing some critical needs.  I think a shooting big is needed, a point guard, and of course a Linssen replacement (really don't see Lorentsson ever panning out).  Of course, what do I know!  If certain bench players transfer out, he may yet fill those needs.

3 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Lol if Javonte decided to return (which I don't think he will)...one of those players at that stacked position would "decide" to transfer to free up room for a big.

I hate when teams do that

I heard an interview with Javonte from this week where he said he will be cleared to resume basketball activities in June and will be back to 100% in October. It will be interesting to see when he makes a decision on his return. I would like to see him return and have a shot at the NBA summer league the following year, but I don't know enough about the European free agent process to truly know what is best for him. 

Watching the Kansas/Baylor game and #10 Baylor has run the weave on many of its offensive possession.  I’m very confused.  I thought they were a good team and had a good coach, but that can’t be possible if they run the weave, right?

[can’t figure out how to do blue ink from my phone]

Billikenbooster likes this

14 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Watching the Kansas/Baylor game and #10 Baylor has run the weave on many of its offensive possession.  I’m very confused.  I thought they were a good team and had a good coach, but that can’t be possible if they run the weave, right?

[can’t figure out how to do blue ink from my phone]

Be sure to mention that the losing team lost because the head coach got out coached.

cgeldmacher likes this