Jump to content

Travis Ford is not a good coach


Bonner89
 Share

Recommended Posts

Are we seriously doing this? Seriously? I’ve been as critical of Ford’s in-game coaching as much as anyone. I still think it leaves a lot to be desired. But if you honestly asked me if I’d rather have a great recruiter or a brilliant X’s & O’s coach, I’ll take the great recruiter. Majerus was both, but he’s not walking through that door. I’ve spent way too much of my SLU fandom watching D2 players starting for the Billikens. Is Ford perfect? No, he’s not. Is he Majerus? No, he’s not. But he’s still, already, 1 of the winningest coaches in school history. Everybody needs to chill the F out! Good God!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Are we seriously doing this? Seriously? I’ve been as critical of Ford’s in-game coaching as much as anyone. I still think it leaves a lot to be desired. But if you honestly asked me if I’d rather have a great recruiter or a brilliant X’s & O’s coach, I’ll take the great recruiter. Majerus was both, but he’s not walking through that door. I’ve spent way too much of my SLU fandom watching D2 players starting for the Billikens. Is Ford perfect? No, he’s not. Is he Majerus? No, he’s not. But he’s still, already, 1 of the winningest coaches in school history. Everybody needs to chill the F out! Good God!

I’ll go with coach Ford that brings in local talent like Goodwin, Perkins and Nesbitt that are fun to watch.

Not one critic that wants Ford fired for a great tactician has any idea what coach Ford will accomplish.

SLU had something good going in 2020 winning the last 5 going into the tournament but COVID got him.

COVID got Ford in 2020-2021 when the team with only 1 loss was shut down for 40 days.

Then Perkins goes down this season and the team is 7-3 with a nice road win and tournament win.

I am confident with the players on the team that the coach will figure out what is best and have the team playing it’s best at tournament time which has happened before.  In 2019-2020 Ford has to figure out what to do when he lost Jimerson.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember when we couldn’t get local kids to come to SLU now we get kids Mizzou covets.  We have known we have a a short non shooting guard for some time; it is also no surprise when a o low scoring center who has a shoulder operation lays out a year and can’t find the basket. Yes, we would like a miracle and have Jimmy Bell come back before he gains wait in the Jucos

billiken_roy likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thatch, Hargrove and Nesbit need to rebound. French went back up for a second rebound attempt faster than anyone and we know Goodwin had a nose for the ball.

 

we were bad shooters so we got shooters; we do not steal and we do not tebound

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I’ll go with coach Ford that brings in local talent like Goodwin, Perkins and Nesbitt that are fun to watch.

Not one critic that wants Ford fired for a great tactician has any idea what coach Ford will accomplish.

SLU had something good going in 2020 winning the last 5 going into the tournament but COVID got him.

COVID got Ford in 2020-2021 when the team with only 1 loss was shut down for 40 days.

Then Perkins goes down this season and the team is 7-3 with a nice road win and tournament win.

I am confident with the players on the team that the coach will figure out what is best and have the team playing it’s best at tournament time which has happened before.  In 2019-2020 Ford has to figure out what to do when he lost Jimerson.

 

Woulda, coulda, shoulda don’t work in the real world. No one outside of Midtown cares. You either win or don’t.

STLHoopsFan likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

Thatch, Hargrove and Nesbit need to rebound. French went back up for a second rebound attempt faster than anyone and we know Goodwin had a nose for the ball.

we were bad shooters so we got shooters; we do not steal and we do not rebound

Mostly valid points, but in the 10 games we have played this season, our steals per game are UP.  We are at 8.4 steals per game.  In the 21 games last season we averaged 7.4 spg, and in the 31 games in the season before, we averaged 7.5 spg.  There are many games left to play this season, but at least this one metric is an improvement over recent history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda don’t work in the real world. No one outside of Midtown cares. You either win or don’t.

It doesn’t work in the real world, I am happy to help you.

Ford just past Majerus in wins,  so Fords teams win.

Winning the A10 tournament is winning.  Going 23-8 in 19/20 is winning.  Ford’s record at SLU 96-68 that is winning.

I just proved to you Ford wins it is very obvious it’s not good enough for you but facts matter and does not back up your rebuttal to my post.

On your comprehension of my post, I never talked about would have could have should have my post was about overcoming the loss of Jimerson, COVID being an issue for 2 seasons and figuring out a way to overcome Perkins and that by season’s end I believe he will have the team playing well based on past seasons.

You don’t like coach Ford I get it.  I like coach Ford and my suggestions is to never read my pro Ford posts again it will lower your blood pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Records at SLU:

Rick Majerus

07-08

16-15

51.61%

08-09

18-14

56.25%

09-10

23-13

63.89%

10-11

12-19

38.71%

11-12

26-8

81.25%

Total

95-69

57.93%

 

Travis Ford

16-17

12-21

36.36%

17-18

17-16

51.52%

18-19

23-13

63.89%

19-20

23-8

74.19%

20-21

14-7

66.67%

21-22

7-3

70.00%

Total

96-68

58.54%

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over the last 12 months we have had one of the longest COVID pauses of any team in the country, had the devestating loss of an assistant coach who was also a family member and former player, and the late injury of what was expected to be our best player and conference POY. His players NEVER quit on him, play extremely hard, and his teams get better as the year wears on. 

I would argue he has had about as bad as luck as a coach could have and he is here working his a$$ off. 

This topic is ludicrous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, shempie said:

Over the last 12 months we have had one of the longest COVID pauses of any team in the country, had the devestating loss of an assistant coach who was also a family member and former player, and the late injury of what was expected to be our best player and conference POY. His players NEVER quit on him, play extremely hard, and his teams get better as the year wears on. 

I would argue he has had about as bad as luck as a coach could have and he is here working his a$$ off. 

This topic is ludicrous.

The entire tone of the board is so negative right now. I find myself just not wanting to read or respond to basketball related threads for a while. We had one poster (and I agree I'm an idiot for even reading game day threads) claiming his dad was a better game coach than Ford. 

Reinert310 likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The entire tone of the board is so negative right now. I find myself just not wanting to read or respond to basketball related threads for a while. We had one poster (and I agree I'm an idiot for even reading game day threads) claiming his dad was a better game coach than Ford. 

This. We’re 7-3 and lost our POY candidate best player a week before the season. We’ve had to find an entirely new identity over the start of the regular season. If you were expecting this season to be nothing but sunshine and roses, I really don’t know what to tell you. And at this point, I can’t keep track of who’s just trolling and who’s not.

slufanskip likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

This. We’re 7-3 and lost our POY candidate best player a week before the season. We’ve had to find an entirely new identity over the start of the regular season. If you were expecting this season to be nothing but sunshine and roses, I really don’t know what to tell you. And at this point, I can’t keep track of who’s just trolling and who’s not.

It is always amazing how reeling of a few wins brings out the fears of losing Travis and then lose a couple and it's who'd want him?  Two words Columbia, Missouri.......  It's possible we could do better but we could do SO much worse

Reinert310 and slufanskip like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, slubillikens43 said:

I love Travis but we’ve walked the ball up the court with leads under 10 minutes in all of the home losses. Maybe that’s because we’re not anywhere as deep of a team as we thought we were and want to consume energy but that’s the reason we lost these games

Yep. And the fact they started to pick on our size disadvantage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, slubillikens43 said:

I love Travis but we’ve walked the ball up the court with leads under 10 minutes in all of the home losses. Maybe that’s because we’re not anywhere as deep of a team as we thought we were and want to consume energy but that’s the reason we lost these games

If fatigue is a problem the Ford has to use a deeper rotation than 8.  I know he may like the 8 man rotation but sometimes you have to do what you may not be comfortable with.  No reason Jones couldn't have given Yuri a couple of minutes rest when we were up by 13.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/9/2021 at 2:10 PM, Reinert310 said:

This. We’re 7-3 and lost our POY candidate best player a week before the season. We’ve had to find an entirely new identity over the start of the regular season. If you were expecting this season to be nothing but sunshine and roses, I really don’t know what to tell you. And at this point, I can’t keep track of who’s just trolling and who’s not.

There’s a difference between trolling and frustration. I understand the millennials are going to get their lace jockstraps in a wad over the following, but it is ok to be mad. It’s ok to be upset. You can have a space to vent your frustration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

If fatigue is a problem the Ford has to use a deeper rotation than 8.  I know he may like the 8 man rotation but sometimes you have to do what you may not be comfortable with.  No reason Jones couldn't have given Yuri a couple of minutes rest when we were up by 13.

Ford went to a 6 man rotation in the second half.  Only the injured Linssen sub out 3 minutes into the second half was used in the last 20. (Discount the Thatch sub in when Collins fouled out with 2 seconds left.) Thatch, Jones and even Traore again, could have been used to spell the 5 on the floor for a minute or two.

In Australia our offense plan would be called a  "Walk About". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ford went to a 6 man rotation in the second half.  Only the injured Linssen sub out 3 minutes into the second half was used in the last 20. (Discount the Thatch sub in when Collins fouled out with 2 seconds left.) Thatch, Jones and even Traore again, could have been used to spell the 5 on the floor for a minute or two.

In Australia our offense plan would be called a  "Walk About". 

I think it was our first game off of the long Covid break last year and ford only played like 6/7 guys all game.  I had that same feeling last night… like dude, what are you doing!? Get some fresh legs in there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...