Around the A10

brianstl

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I wonder how Ford goes about this. Does he wait late in the first half to put linssen in?  continue what he's done and see if Linssen can stay in...

I think it just the opposite. I think he is trying to save okoro. Ford wants okoro late in the game for defensive reasons and rebounding. Okoro is almost always the first out ,sometimes before the first media. 

Linssen is a perfect big for Yuri. He’s so good at carving out space and has great hands. There are bigger, more skilled and athletic bigs would not be as effective as he is on this team just based on how well he works with Yuri.

Okoro also has great chemistry with Yuri dating back to his days with BBE. We’re very fortunate to have bigs who mesh so well with our point guard.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

I wonder how Ford goes about this. Does he wait late in the first half to put linssen in?  continue what he's done and see if Linssen can stay in...

LaSalle's best player is their big, Clifton Moore.  He is 6'10" and 240 lbs.  We need to keep fresh bodies in on him and use our 10-15 fouls on him.  Moore does shoot a couple of threes per game, (only hits 20%) so we can't necessarily sag off. If we do sag you know he will go 4 for 5.

1 hour ago, willie said:

I think it just the opposite. I think he is trying to save okoro. Ford wants okoro late in the game for defensive reasons and rebounding. Okoro is almost always the first out ,sometimes before the first media. 

I think it goes game by game.  For me, Linssen had a better feel for the game Saturday than Okoro had.  That could change on Tuesday and change again on Friday.  Some players do better coming off the bench, and some do better if they start.  I'm not sure which path suits Okoro better, but for me it appears that Linssen has no issues coming off the bench.

In the 4 road games we've played this year, Linssen has fouled out of 2 and in a 3rd game racked up four fouls in only 10 min.  The only road game he wasn't saddled with fouls was against UMass, in which he barely played because he had just returned from injury (and UMass also plays no defense).  A similar pattern played out last year.  I'm sure Coach Ford noticed the trend a long time ago and does his best to navigate around it.

54 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

LaSalle's best player is their big, Clifton Moore.  He is 6'10" and 240 lbs.  We need to keep fresh bodies in on him and use our 10-15 fouls on him.  Moore does shoot a couple of threes per game, (only hits 20%) so we can't necessarily sag off. If we do sag you know he will go 4 for 5.

really we have 20 bigboy fouls with our Swedish reserve's 5 :)

57 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Let him take those till he hits imo. 

2 hours ago, NH said:

Linssen is a perfect big for Yuri. He’s so good at carving out space and has great hands. There are bigger, more skilled and athletic bigs would not be as effective as he is on this team just based on how well he works with Yuri.

Okoro also has great chemistry with Yuri dating back to his days with BBE. We’re very fortunate to have bigs who mesh so well with our point guard.

I think his hands are his best attribute. Watch him during the games. He almost never fumbles the ball. He is also really good about receiving it and getting his shot sequence started quickly. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

-I hope he makes his first 3pt shot, gives him confidence for the game, we continue to keep our bigs in the lane and he goes 1 for 11 and shoots them out of the game

After witnessing a step up in confidence, I have been curious seeing the Billikens battle a team with a big rim protector. The past several years it seems whenever we face teams with a player of that caliber, we alter every shot missing bunnies and still getting blocked 6-8 times. How many A-10 teams have guy like that this season?

almaman likes this

5 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

After witnessing a step up in confidence, I have been curious seeing the Billikens battle a team with a big rim protector. The past several years it seems whenever we face teams with a player of that caliber, we alter every shot missing bunnies and still getting blocked 6-8 times. How many A-10 teams have guy like that this season?

Dayton with Holmes. But he just a frosh and probably not the best measuring stick. Big centers aren't that common at this level. Don't know about vcu. Haven't seen them play this year.

But I completely agree long lanky centers with some athleticism and long guards is our weakness. Another reason I hope we pick up Bol.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Big ouch for George Mason

Richmond wins 62-59. George Mason has come and gone in the A-10 race. Not A-10 but noteworthy as UVa defeats Duke on the road, 69-68.

37 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Richmond wins 62-59. George Mason has come and gone in the A-10 race. Not A-10 but noteworthy as UVa defeats Duke on the road, 69-68.

They aren't going to win the League, but they are still in the running for a double bye in the A10 tourney.  The Patriots problem is that they have an impossible schedule, having 5 league Covid postponed games.  They still only have 16 league games scheduled.  They get a home rematch with Richmond on Wednesday.

Mason played without Oduro and English was forced to go deep into his bench.  In addition, Schwartz was in foul trouble the whole game, picking up his fourth with 12 minutes to go and fouling out with 1:39 to go and Mason up 59 to 56.  Jacob Gilyard then hit a three and closed it out with another 3 with .9 seconds to go.  Gilyard went 7 for 12 from three and finished with 23 points to literally win the game.  Richmond got 2 points from Cayo and nothing from Sherod.  Sherod is a shell of his former self.  Burton had 3 at half, opened with 10 straight to start the second half and finished with 13.  

The low score was due to both team running total shots clocks on just about every possession.  Both team frittered away double digit leads.  If that game had gone to overtime, I don't know who would have scored for Mason.  I fully expect a different result Wednesday in the rematch at Fairfax.

Three games today:  us at La Salle (+7.5), Rhodey (+5) at VCU and the Bonnies (-12) hosting Fordham.  Would be nice to see a Rhodey win.

Just now, Taj79 said:

Mason played without Oduro and English was forced to go deep into his bench.  In addition, Schwartz was in foul trouble the whole game, picking up his fourth with 12 minutes to go and fouling out with 1:39 to go and Mason up 59 to 56.  Jacob Gilyard then hit a three and closed it out with another 3 with .9 seconds to go.  Gilyard went 7 for 12 from three and finished with 23 points to literally win the game.  Richmond got 2 points from Cayo and nothing from Sherod.  Sherod is a shell of his former self.  Burton had 3 at half, opened with 10 straight to start the second half and finished with 13.  

Until what I saw in the Richmond vs non oduros, I was worried about playing @UR. Man they are not good.