Around the A10

brianstl

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

St. Joe's led for 31 minutes, sometimes by as much as 13.  They play six guys --- Obinna, Hall, Funk, Reynolds, Bishop and Brown.  They run out of gas late.  Davidson shot 2 for 23 from three for an abysmal 8.7%.  EIGHT POINT SEVEN.  How is that possible?  

Geedubya has a two game lead on staying out of the PIG.  As noted, Fernandes was putrid tonight.  Not only from the floor but in foul trouble and Umass does not have anyone else to run the point.  Both Weeks and Garcia want to gun it.  

Dayton won beating the Pittsburgh School for the Blind and Athletically Challenged.  I still go back to our game at Duquesne where the announcing crew claimed Dambrot said he "got every guy he wanted on the recruiting trail leading into this year."  I'd say his recruits were Crewsesque but i don't use [dead]'s name in any instance on  here.  Not allowed.

Finally, Mason did what I expected them to do even though it took one overtime and was thisclose to another.  

51 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

St. Joe’s is terrible.

I am going to say this, and we may still lose to Davidson at Davidson. That said:

Davidson looks way overrated. I think an athletic team should be able to shut them down. We will see.

Anybody looks overrated when they go 2-23 from three.  You have to be a pretty good team to overcome horrible shooting like that.

cheeseman likes this

Two decent swing games in the A10 today .... Davidson (-2.5) at Rhode Island and Mason (-2.5) hosting VCU.  It would be good to see Geedubya surprise Dayton (-15.5) but I sincerely doubt it.

7 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Down goes Davidson. @URI 72 Davidson 65 -Final.

Davidson can definitely be had.

That’s the good news.  The bad news is that the Billikens have to play URI away, and they can be tough, especially at home.

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Juan Bid is lurking in Newport News, VA.

Look at the top 8. Yes, this changes daily.  But for now, and likely the rest of the way through the season, this shows the importance of winning the league.  Assume tourney games follow order, which they never do, you have a number one seed playing GW.  Today we would draw Richmond.  Dayton would draw St. B and VCU would get George Mason. 

Top 4 is the goal for the double bye, but winning the league may have a distinct advantage.  It also looks like LaSalle and Duquesne are comfortably in the Pillow Fight.

This is interesting.  It's on Twitter, so it is either true or not.  But if the Bonnies at GW game is not played, that pulls a likely win away from St. Bonnie.  Puts an added emphasis on a Bills win tomorrow.  The Bonnies play 4 straight at home.  We need to put them 2 losses behind us.

The other two games mentioned are George Mason wins at Duquesne and home with Rhode Island.  Some team is going to get screwed out of a double bye.

If you look at Stu's list, and simply count the number of games between each of these six teams, Davidson and Dayton have only 2, VCU and St. Bonnie have 3, SLU and Richmond 4.   Advantage Davidson and Dayton.  Rhody WILL win at least one of the three games they have left.  George Mason also won't go down quitely.

We are tied with St. Bonnie with losses.  That could be crucial, as the A10 won't necessarily use winning percentage to break a tie.  If we end up with the same number of losses as St B, and they have one less win due to a covid game not being played, look for the A10 to give the nod to St B based on the 2 wins.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We are tied with St. Bonnie with losses.  That could be crucial, as the A10 won't necessarily use winning percentage to break a tie.  If we end up with the same number of losses as St B, and they have one less win due to a covid game not being played, look for the A10 to give the nod to St B based on the 2 wins.

Having now seen the Bonnie’s schedule I am nervous as hell.  Really their schedule scares me bc of how easy it seems.  

SLU has to play air tight and I just have been let down too much.  Okay back to optimism. 

I hate to say it but based on current standings and the schedules of other teams, it seems like we’re gonna end up running into the Bonnies in either our first or second game in the tourney even if we do get the double bye. It’s very likely one of us is the 5th seed while the other is the 4th. 

There aren't many tough games left on the A10 schedule and the ones that are out there in the upper echelon seem to populate the Billiken schedule.  We entertain VCU and go to Richmond, Rhode Island and Davidson.  Outside of hosting us, Davidson only has to go to Dayton.  Outside of coming to us, VCU hosts Bonaventure.  They still play Richmond but its at VCU and they beat Richmond at Robbins already.  Dayton goes to Richmond and hosts Davidson.  And short of the already mentioned VCU game, the Bonnies only other possible blip is with Richmond.  But it's in Olena as are three other games on their six game closing run.  

There is just not a lot of room for upsets of the top teams as I see it so it will be the top four in HP's bracket above with th eonly likely chnage being us or the Bonnies in the 4/5 with the other going into the 5/4.  Well, you know what I mean.