Around the A10

brianstl

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Man I heard they sold out all 17 home games at UD before the season even started. That’s 13k at every game. That’s an intimidating stat I wish we could duplicate.

The crowd was the same tonight as it was against us. I get why WE didnt play well with a timid crowd like that, I’m asking why didn’t Ud play as bad. 

2 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Man I heard they sold out all 17 home games at UD before the season even started. That’s 13k at every game. That’s an intimidating stat I wish we could duplicate.

I don’t really believe that stat or maybe understand it. My youngest sister goes to Dayton and wasn’t able to get into the SLU game so I offered to buy her a ticket and there were hundreds of tickets for sale through the Dayton Ticketmaster (went through UD athletics website) for 5-15$. Are these all resale or what?

53 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

I don’t really believe that stat or maybe understand it. My youngest sister goes to Dayton and wasn’t able to get into the SLU game so I offered to buy her a ticket and there were hundreds of tickets for sale through the Dayton Ticketmaster (went through UD athletics website) for 5-15$. Are these all resale or what?

They got a helluva PR department 

6 hours ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Just heard that on the ESPN broadcast, BFB. Sorry to hear about your sister…

12 hours ago, BuiltFordBills said:

I think most places define a "sellout" as attendance being at a certain % of seating capacity.

"Sellout" seems like a simple concept.  Are there any seats available to buy?  Yes -> Not a sellout.  No -> Sellout.  However, for practical reasons most stadiums will not be able to sell every single seat.  After general public buys up most of the seats, there are likely to be 100s of single seats scattered throughout the arena for example.  Other seats may be held back for the visiting team or some other organization & go unused or be put up for sale closer to game day.

The official capacity of Chaifetz is 10,600.  There are been a few games with more than that in attendance though.  How does that work?  Standing room & students cramming more into their section, I guess.  I'm not sure what # SLU uses for defining a "sellout", but in my mind any game with attendance over 10k is a sellout at Chaifetz.

Bragging about a "sellout" streak when seats are still available for sale is kind good & bad PR/marketing IMO.  You may create demand for future games because people assume the tickets are scarce & they need to buy ASAP, but you may also make it less likely you sell the remaining seats because people assume no seats are available since the game (& perhaps future games as well) are "sold out".

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think most places define a "sellout" as attendance being at a certain % of seating capacity.

"Sellout" seems like a simple concept.  Are there any seats available to buy?  Yes -> Not a sellout.  No -> Sellout.  However, for practical reasons most stadiums will not be able to sell every single seat.  After general public buys up most of the seats, there are likely to be 100s of single seats scattered throughout the arena for example.  Other seats may be held back for the visiting team or some other organization & go unused or be put up for sale closer to game day.

The official capacity of Chaifetz is 10,600.  There are been a few games with more than that in attendance though.  How does that work?  Standing room & students cramming more into their section, I guess.  I'm not sure what # SLU uses for defining a "sellout", but in my mind any game with attendance over 10k is a sellout at Chaifetz.

Bragging about a "sellout" streak when seats are still available for sale is kind good & bad PR/marketing IMO.  You may create demand for future games because people assume the tickets are scarce & they need to buy ASAP, but you may also make it less likely you sell the remaining seats because people assume no seats are available since the game (& perhaps future games as well) are "sold out".

I think we use the 10k number as a sell out. You are right it is hard sell singles isolated around the region. Also how do no shows factor in?

Watching the  VCU V RICHMOND game. I really think Okoro and Nesbitt we’ll be our difference makers. Okoro is coming on as a dominant 5. And Nesbitt can take it to anyone if Travis gives him the green light. 
This years A10 comes down to 5 teams: Davidson, VCU, StB’s, UD, and SLU. If you’ve got a dominant big, aka Franco, which we do, the A10 tourney is wide open. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Watching the  VCU V RICHMOND game. I really think Okoro and Nesbitt we’ll be our difference makers. Okoro is coming on as a dominant 5. And Nesbitt can take it to anyone if Travis gives him the green light. 
This years A10 comes down to 5 teams: Davidson, VCU, StB’s, UD, and SLU. If you’ve got a dominant big, aka Franco, which we do, the A10 tourney is wide open. 

Okoro has been feasting on bad defenses the past 3 games. He has improved but let’s see what he does against George Mason and Dayton the next two games. I think he will excel but he needs to prove it against better competition. 

1 hour ago, Westy03 said:

Okoro has been feasting on bad defenses the past 3 games. He has improved but let’s see what he does against George Mason and Dayton the next two games. I think he will excel but he needs to prove it against better competition. 

Can't argue with this.  But really, the comp gets much better from here to the end.  Oduro is a difficult matchup as he steps out to the arc. Then you get Holmes/Camara, followed by Moore, Osunniyi twice, Moore again, Brajkovic, Obinna (okay there is an easier one), then Golden, the Mitchell Twins, and finally the entire VCU havoc squad.  That is a significant step up from UMass, GW and Duquesne pivots.

UMass, GW and Duquesne seldom brought a double team and never a triple.  They weren't leaving Jimerson to double the post until Okoro starts backing down.  They know he won't pass out of that position, so the double team, if it comes, is late in the sequence.  Continue to take advantage of them. 

1 hour ago, Westy03 said:

Dayton being the real test up against Holmes

Fordham vs GW:

First of all, they started the game with a women’s size basketball. I have never seen that before. Yay GW and A10!!!

Second, the announcers mentioned Bishop having 30 against us. I don’t know why it irks me, but that was a garbage 30 against our backups and he literally shot every time they had the ball. We weren’t going to foul him up 20 and I wouldn’t say he was unstoppable by now means.

AGB91 likes this