O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

On 4/4/2022 at 2:01 PM, billiken_roy said:

and just think.   most of these profs own websites and messageboards which are seriously expensive toys.   who can afford that except these high paid professors.  😉

Don't forget to send in your Billikens.com Donation in the fall!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

On July 1st, Western Illinois University in Macomb officially joined the Ohio Valley Conference.

In the last three years Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky schools have been replaced by Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Arkansas schools. The northern and western migration of the OVC toward St. Louis continues.

OVC Member Institutions - Ohio Valley Conference

Pete Thamel, ESPN reporting that Colorado considering a move back to the B12. 

So opening for SLU in P12. Too bad UCLA is leaving or because seeing SLU at Westwood would be cool. 

So Colorado to the Big 12, they seem to want 1 more.. UConn has been rumored to be on their radar..

Would we want UConn to leave the Big East?  IF they did , would they want to expand?? IF they did , how many?  Afraid it would be 2 , Dayton and VCU.. So would it be better from a SLU standpoint , to have them remain in the Big East, and hope for us to be offered an invite at a later time?  Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

So Colorado to the Big 12, they seem to want 1 more.. UConn has been rumored to be on their radar..

Would we want UConn to leave the Big East?  IF they did , would they want to expand?? IF they did , how many?  Afraid it would be 2 , Dayton and VCU.. So would it be better from a SLU standpoint , to have them remain in the Big East, and hope for us to be offered an invite at a later time?  Thoughts?

If B12 wanted UCONN that would've already happened. I read from a good source B12 Commish Yormark wants UCONN because he thinks it helps in the NYC market but the B12 Presidents don't agree.  Most likely is Arizona. If they go then what about ASU, Utah to be with BYU seems like a fit. Then SDSU or others to P12?

At this point SLU is more likely to be in the P12.

Looks like the Pac12 will implode here shortly. This is probably the biggest failure in college athletics (business-wise) ever. 

Also - helluva job by the Big 12. A few years back, everyone assumed they were toast. They made the right hire and the Pac made the wrong hire. Weird how that happens...

Bizziken, AGB91 and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Looks like the Pac12 will implode here shortly. This is probably the biggest failure in college athletics (business-wise) ever. 

Also - helluva job by the Big 12. A few years back, everyone assumed they were toast. They made the right hire and the Pac made the wrong hire. Weird how that happens...

-wow, I guess the next shoe to fall is AZ to the Big8,12,14,16,18

-also guessing it's possible that the Pac12 remnants find tv dollars from somewhere but would think their athletic coffers will be much smaller

It will be fun to see the people who run Cal and those that run Standford have to "lower" themselves to the Mountain West and the schools that are in that conference they thought didn't measure up to the PAC standards.  They are going to have to be rescued by some schools that they blocked from being considered for the conference in earlier rounds of the conference shuffle.

The PAC-12 is left with Cal, Stanford, Oregon and Washington State.  Not a whole lot to get excited there over the driving sport, football.  And not much more excitement over basketball.  As a matter of fact, Stanford, Cal and Oregon state were the doormats of last year's basketball standings in the PAC 12.  Who would want to join in?  New Mexico State?  UTEP?  Maybe a few from the Mountain West?  There is not a lot of [pickings out there and if football is the driver, these four schools are screwed.  

Sixteen teams (shortly) in the SEC.  Florida State and Clemson are rumbling as well.  Eighteen now in the Big Ten.  Is Notre Dame far off pending the end of their NBC contract?  Sixteen in the Big 12 if it is Arizona, Utah and Arizona State added with Colorado.  It's all the money push as well for FBS football.

I’ll state the obvious: The PAC-12 can no longer be considered a major conference. Don’t they need at least 6 teams playing football to even be a conference, or is that a FCS thing only? I know the OVC was in trouble unless they had at least 6 football teams in their conference.

On 7/26/2023 at 5:22 PM, Compton said:

On July 1st, Western Illinois University in Macomb officially joined the Ohio Valley Conference.

In the last three years Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky schools have been replaced by Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Arkansas schools. The northern and western migration of the OVC toward St. Louis continues.

OVC Member Institutions - Ohio Valley Conference

Would be so dope for an actually good conf to have this geo proximity 

Well that escalated quickly. As I pointed out previously some B12 schools were contemplating a move to Pac when Texas & OU announced their move.  There was speculation that Cal, Stanford wouldn't be in a conference with certain schools (TCU, Baylor). As BSTL points out that might be their demise. Now what do they do? Raid the MWC for powerhouses like Wyoming and Hawaii?

I did enjoy the regionality of college football in the past. Also with playoff expansion the importance of regular season games will be diminished by media only focusing on the playoffs. 

brianstl likes this

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the western schools in the AAC try to join the reorganization of the MWC/Pac12. Memphis, SMU,  maybe NTexas won’t be going to one of the 4 surviving majors. 
I read that the current media rights for the MWC is $4 million per team annually. That would have to change if the MWC takes the lead on reorg. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the western schools in the AAC try to join the reorganization of the MWC/Pac12. Memphis, SMU,  maybe NTexas won’t be going to one of the 4 surviving majors. 
I read that the current media rights for the MWC is $4 million per team annually. That would have to change if the MWC takes the lead on reorg. 

It will be interesting to see what Fox and CBS want to do with the MWC now.  Do they pour money into it and get some bigger name programs in it at a “discount” by increasing the payout?  Does Fox just want to pour all its money into even further Big Ten expansion?

I really doubt there is any kind of future for the PAC.  That media deal they came up with was awful.  The guarantee was billed as $7 million per program, but the PAC was responsible for production cost for every broadcast.  That cuts that guarantee at least 50%.

JMM28 likes this

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It will be interesting to see what Fox and CBS want to do with the MWC now.  Do they poor money into and get some bigger name programs in it at a “discount” by increasing the payout?  Does Fox just want to pour all it’s money into even further Big Ten expansion?

I really doubt there is any kind of future for the PAC.  That media deal they came up with was awful.  The guarantee was billed as $7 million per program, but the PAC was responsible for production cost for every broadcast.  That cuts that guarantee at least 50%.

I wonder if the Pac 12 entity has any standing with the revamped CFP 12 team playoff.  If they are 'named' in the selection guidelines, perhaps the name PAC 12 continues with a totally new mix of members. 

I don't know, but I'm sure the SEC and Big 10 will attempt to strangle any revamped Pac 12 out of an auto bid. 

brianstl likes this

If I have read correctly none of the "4 Corner' schools will have to pay any exit fees for leaving the Pac 12, since there is no media deal.  

Our daughter went o UCF , was thrilled they got invited to the Big 12.. Now have to wonder about the being 800 miles away from their closet Big 12 member... I could see a move to the ACC , for that reason