Recruiting - 2024

Pistol

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Schertz must think he can improve his shooting if he is going to fit in the offense. His fg% is likely buoyed by drives to the hoop and his FT and 3PT percentages are not particularly impressive. But I trust Schertz to actually develop talent. This might be one of those guys who is a sleeper.

Look at the 3pt% improvement of Kent and Conwell this year from the prior year - that offers hope.

The NCAA dead period ends tonight.  So let the visits begin, tomorrow.  On campus MBM's, please accept the responsibility to inform the board of who you see.  Yesterday Coach told Bernie he hopes to have 6 or 7 visits in the next 10 days. 

We kind of knew this was going to happen.

Wasn't a great fit at Butler.  Has Schertz offense game, not a good Big East post defender, but did have a nice block average of 1.8 in very limited time.  He was injured most of last season and could file for a Medical Waiver for a third season.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/nil-cost-of-rebuilding-slu-roster-estimated-at-several-hundred-thousand/article_62cb670c-f834-11ee-b65f-cf66938571af.html

Interesting stuff from Stu. 

Avila, who is in the portal with a do-not-contact tag, is listed at No. 78 in On3’s list of the top 100 college athletes in anticipated NIL value. One source said he could be worth $600,000 to $700,000 and would have to be willing to be compensated below his value to play at SLU.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/nil-cost-of-rebuilding-slu-roster-estimated-at-several-hundred-thousand/article_62cb670c-f834-11ee-b65f-cf66938571af.html

Interesting stuff from Stu. 

Avila, who is in the portal with a do-not-contact tag, is listed at No. 78 in On3’s list of the top 100 college athletes in anticipated NIL value. One source said he could be worth $600,000 to $700,000 and would have to be willing to be compensated below his value to play at SLU.

I wonder if that figure is Avila’s overall value and not just has on the court value?  Wasn’t it rumored that Daron Holmes made was like $400k or so.  Avila isn’t more valuable or at least that much more valuable than Holmes on the court, but he’s way more marketable off it.  Avila has legit ability to earn in the actual “name image likeness” sense and not just pay to play. Example: there’s talk of eyewear companies offering him deals and he can get those regardless of where he plays.  It’s actually better for his brand & non-pay for play NIL opportunities if he goes somewhere he will get to play a lot, be a star / fit well in a system, win, and be in a large market.  Biased opinion: SLU with Schertz checks all those boxes better than anywhere else can.  If he chases extra power 5 pay to play money, he risks not fitting / losing playing time and compromising his maybe much higher non-pay to play earnings potential.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I wonder if that figure is Avila’s overall value and not just has on the court value?  Wasn’t it rumored that Daron Holmes made was like $400k or so.  Avila isn’t more valuable or at least that much more valuable than Holmes on the court, but he’s way more marketable off it.  Avila has legit ability to earn in the actual “name image likeness” sense and not just pay to play. Example: there’s talk of eyewear companies offering him deals and he can get those regardless of where he plays.  It’s actually better for his brand & non-pay for play NIL opportunities if he goes somewhere he will get to play a lot, be a star / fit well in a system, win, and be in a large market.  Biased opinion: SLU with Schertz checks all those boxes better than anywhere else can.  If he chases extra power 5 pay to play money, he risks not fitting / losing playing time and compromising his maybe much higher non-pay to play earnings potential.

I had the same thought. Also, Avila fits well within the Schertz offense. I'm not sure there is as much value at other schools.

Didn't realize Kent was born in Austin, I wonder at what age he moved to IL?

This is not good. 

Still haven't seen anything about Avila visiting Texas. I think that report was inaccurate.

Does Avila still have do not contact marker? 
Is Gibby waiting to see what Cronwell’s gonna do before he makes a decision. 
I guess it’s our fate that SLU fans must deal with anxiety when it comes to players as well as HC’s. 

27 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Didn't realize Kent was born in Austin, I wonder at what age he moved to IL?

This is not good. 

Still haven't seen anything about Avila visiting Texas. I think that report was inaccurate.

Let’s try to trust in Coach here. If he’s worried, he didn’t show it one bit on the show last night.  And I think we will be getting some good news rolling in sooner than later. 

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I never expected to get Larry. I still think Kent/Swope are attainable. I don't have a problem with players shopping their value. Avila will be here. 

Crowmwell is hopefully in play.  He will be a tough get, but I would really like to get him as well.  Who knows...maybe Turnbull will fill that 4 slot really well and give us some extra height and ability to get blocks defensively.

4 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Crowmwell is hopefully in play.  He will be a tough get, but I would really like to get him as well.  Who knows...maybe Turnbull will fill that 4 slot really well and give us some extra height and ability to get blocks defensively.

Oliver? We have done ok with internationals but never had an Englishman. 

15 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Let’s try to trust in Coach here. If he’s worried, he didn’t show it one bit on the show last night.  And I think we will be getting some good news rolling in sooner than later. 

I do trust the coach. If we lose these guys I trust his ability to evaluate players for his system. What he say in the interview? He brought in 8 new players and they were the #1 efficient offense (KenPom) in the nation.  That's not an accident. 

I'd rather have the guys that he knows and already know his system but if that's not possible I think he can find the pieces he needs. Perhaps Even better pieces with higher upside given a bigger profile and deeper pockets.

TRN likes this

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

James Cromwell, who played Logan Roy's crazy brother, is 6'7".  Could be a rim protector if he has some hops.

image.jpeg.ff564b4ca9d3b3bbb07feac797eb6e5a.jpeg

Would he bring cousin Greg with him? That dude was quite tall.

willie likes this

5 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Oliver Cromwell was also known for wanting to remove the head of his opponent.

He also created the New Style Army that went to battle chanting hymns. This was something that the Union Armies also did with the Battle Hymn of the Republic during the Civil War.