Recruiting - 2024

Pistol

On 1/16/2024 at 2:15 PM, Slufan10 said:

How about we look at Isaiah Esker from D2 Illinois-Springfield? He’s from STL. Went to Parkway South. 6’10” center averaging 5.2 points and 2.9 rebounds in 13.1 MPG. He had 114 blocks in a season in HS. He’s got one more year of eligibility.

The return of STLHoopsInsider???

SLU_Lax likes this

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I'm a few days late on the new offer.

Brody Robinson - PG, 5-10, 160 - Houston, TX (Garden City Community College, KS) - Twitter: @brodyrobinson_
Offers: Saint Louis, Fresno State, Oakland, IUPUI, Tennessee Tech, Texas-Arlington.

Interest: Ole Miss, Murray State, Missouri State, Illinois State, Liberty, Northern Kentucky, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Elon, Iona, Louisiana, South Dakota, Western Illinois, Oral Roberts, New Mexico State, Tarleton State, Stetson, South Carolina-Upstate, UMass-Lowell, Northwestern State.

Latest News: Robinson received an offer from IUPUI. (1/20/24)

Scouting Report: Robinson is an undersized playmaking guard with high-level scoring ability. He takes care of the ball, with an assist/turnover ratio above 3x. He rebounds his position well despite his size. He's a volume shooter with the ability to heat up and take over a game, and he's excellent from the FT line. He graduated from Houston Christian HS before playing his freshman year at Chattanooga and sophomore year at GCCC.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Sorry, I'm a few days late on the new offer.

Brody Robinson - PG, 5-10, 160 - Houston, TX (Garden City Community College, KS) - Twitter: @brodyrobinson_
Offers: Saint Louis, Fresno State, Oakland, IUPUI, Tennessee Tech, Texas-Arlington.

Interest: Ole Miss, Murray State, Missouri State, Illinois State, Liberty, Northern Kentucky, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Elon, Iona, Louisiana, South Dakota, Western Illinois, Oral Roberts, New Mexico State, Tarleton State, Stetson, South Carolina-Upstate, UMass-Lowell, Northwestern State.

Latest News: Robinson received an offer from IUPUI. (1/20/24)

Scouting Report: Robinson is an undersized playmaking guard with high-level scoring ability. He takes care of the ball, with an assist/turnover ratio above 3x. He rebounds his position well despite his size. He's a volume shooter with the ability to heat up and take over a game, and he's excellent from the FT line. He graduated from Houston Christian HS before playing his freshman year at Chattanooga and sophomore year at GCCC.

Ford repeatedly attributed his team’s offensive woes  to VCU’s “length.” Good he’s pursuing a 5-10 JUCO who can dribble through people’s legs for easy buckets.

Aquinas and TRN like this

12 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Ford repeatedly attributed his team’s offensive woes  to VCU’s “length.” Good he’s pursuing a 5-10 JUCO who can dribble through people’s legs for easy buckets.

i beleive that ford recruits himself.   waterbug size point guards.   yuri, medley, now this kid.  never understood him not developing goodwin as the point guard.  his advantage size, along with his natural instincts would have been an overall improvement for the team.  there are tons of wings out there that could have easily replaced goodwin there.  

13 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Especially with the switch Defense that Ford has done such a great job implementing. A 5’10” pg is exactly who you want matched up with a 6’6” sg. Genius.

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i beleive that ford recruits himself.   waterbug size point guards.   yuri, medley, now this kid.  never understood him not developing goodwin as the point guard.  his advantage size, along with his natural instincts would have been an overall improvement for the team.  there are tons of wings out there that could have easily replaced goodwin there.  

You have to sell what you know, right? 

billiken_roy likes this

Successful teams come in all shapes and sizes.  The problem isn't the size of the guards.  The problem is the collective skill set of Coach Ford's teams.  You can press with a small team but you need ball hawks.  We are in short supply.  You can counter length with good passing.  We're the worst passing team the conference. You can win on the road but your leaders need to be road warriors.  We don't have that either.

Even if Meadows would have been healthy all season, his career stats say he's not the 5-6 apg guy we need at the position.  Dalger is an effort guy but he's not a ball hawk.  Our underclassmen are probably our best defenders but they are our worst offensive players.  Jimerson and Hargrove's performance in road games make it almost impossible for us to win against good teams in their building.

This season is all about making a run in February when we have some winnable road games.  That's all it's ever been about ever since Parker went down 4 games into the season.  We have too many weaknesses in the roster that can't be masked against good teams.  It's nice that Coach Ford is addressing these weaknesses with recent offers but damn it he should have done a better job of addressing them in the off season.  

HoosierPal, DOC, Zink and 4 others like this

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Agreed, good point (pun!). Triple double came when JGood played the point, if recalling correctly.

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

https://x.com/jakelieberman2/status/1749104520628421097?s=20

Showing interest in another JUCO.  6'2 combo guard out of Tampa.  Originally signed with an NAIA school in TX, went the D-2 JUCO route instead.

This is the kind of player we need to stay away from: A volume shooter with subpar assist numbers.  We already had Rashad Williams.  

billiken_roy likes this

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Successful teams come in all shapes and sizes.  The problem isn't the size of the guards.  The problem is the collective skill set of Coach Ford's teams.  You can press with a small team but you need ball hawks.  We are in short supply.  You can counter length with good passing.  We're the worst passing team the conference. You can win on the road but your leaders need to be road warriors.  We don't have that either.

Even if Meadows would have been healthy all season, his career stats say he's not the 5-6 apg guy we need at the position.  Dalger is an effort guy but he's not a ball hawk.  Our underclassmen are probably our best defenders but they are our worst offensive players.  Jimerson and Hargrove's performance in road games make it almost impossible for us to win against good teams in their building.

This season is all about making a run in February when we have some winnable road games.  That's all it's ever been about ever since Parker went down 4 games into the season.  We have too many weaknesses in the roster that can't be masked against good teams.  It's nice that Coach Ford is addressing these weaknesses with recent offers but damn it he should have done a better job of addressing them in the off season.  

The highest hope from the start of this  season was a Feb run, even before Parker went down. Going into this season, we had no true bigs and needed big contributions from freshman Casey, Zang when he became available. We also jnew nothing about the other freshman, little about Thames and thought EZ was a long shot for this season. No one looked at us as a potential top 50 team with at large potential. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm way late on this because I haven't been keeping on top of recruiting for obvious reasons, but here's the last juco offer from a couple weeks ago:

Jeff Nwankwo - SF, 6-7, 205 - Oklahoma City, OK (Cowley College, KS) - Twitter: @NwankwoJeff
Offers: Saint Louis, Tulsa, Valparaiso, Texas-El Paso, Oakland, IUPUI, Samford, Stony Brook, Texas State, Coastal Carolina, Austin Peay, North Alabama, North Dakota, Oral Roberts, Montana, Weber State, Stephen F. Austin, Southern Utah, Abilene Christian, Radford, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Nicholls State.

Interest: Massachusetts, George Mason, Utah State, Temple, East Carolina, Cornell, Illinois State, Toledo, Green Bay, Robert Morris, Hampton, Northeastern, East Tennessee State, Georgia State, Arkansas State, UMBC, Kansas City, Stetson, Le Moyne, Texas A&M-Commerce, South Carolina State.

Latest News: Nwankwo received an offer from SLU. (2/13/24)

Scouting Report: Nwankwo is a versatile, athletic wing who can score on three levels and rebound. He originally went to Tulane as a wide receiver on the football team but transferred to juco to play basketball. He missed half of his first season with an injury, signed with Marist in the spring, but got out of his LOI and returned to Cowley for a second season.

On 6/10/2023 at 2:29 PM, Pistol said:

John Bol to Florida.

Frank C. a couple days ago was saying he's heading to Mizzou. Then he sort of backtracked yesterday. I'm sure Mizzou fans are furious at him right now. That's what he gets for trying to scoop these kids on their announcements.

I don't think it ever got brought up on here, but Bol decommitted from Florida and ended up signing with Ole Miss.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I don't think it ever got brought up on here, but Bol decommitted from Florida and ended up signing with Ole Miss.

-with imo one of the top coaches, I don't know if our Admin would have touched him but Beard can coach and I wish he was on our sideline

• 1 month later...

"McCottry has NCAA Division I scholarship offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Grambling State, Indiana State, Louisiana Tech, Miami (Ohio) and UW-Milwaukee, according to WisSports."

State champ. Almost had a triple double in the final. HS team went 29-1 and only lost to Wisconsin Lutheran (30-0), which has Kon Knueppel. According to West Pine Bills, he averaged 22.1 PPG on a slashline of 56%/32%/73%, with 8.8 RPG, 5.3 APG, and 2.1 SPG. Plays the 1-3 positions.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

"McCottry has NCAA Division I scholarship offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Grambling State, Indiana State, Louisiana Tech, Miami (Ohio) and UW-Milwaukee, according to WisSports."

State champ. Almost had a triple double in the final. HS team went 29-1 and only lost to Wisconsin Lutheran (30-0), which has Kon Knueppel. According to West Pine Bills, he averaged 22.1 PPG on a slashline of 56%/32%/73%, with 8.8 RPG, 5.3 APG, and 2.1 SPG. Plays the 1-3 positions.

Schertz must think he can improve his shooting if he is going to fit in the offense. His fg% is likely buoyed by drives to the hoop and his FT and 3PT percentages are not particularly impressive. But I trust Schertz to actually develop talent. This might be one of those guys who is a sleeper.

4 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Schertz must think he can improve his shooting if he is going to fit in the offense. His fg% is likely buoyed by drives to the hoop and his FT and 3PT percentages are not particularly impressive. But I trust Schertz to actually develop talent. This might be one of those guys who is a sleeper.

He shot 37% as a junior.

DePaul is showing interest and he's reportedly visiting Xavier soon.