Lineup Going Forward....And TJ In Daly's Head

mrjoelabs

Hopefully with his comments after the game Ford realizes that the following lineup gives us our best chance to win

Yuri, JGood, Perkins, TJ and French.

These 5 guys together create the best stuff on both ends of the floor. 

And boy, did TJ get in Daly's head.  That goal tend had a strong effect on him, and he halfway backed down a few times later getting his shots blocked. That was a joy to watch. And then TJ burying that 3 was even better.  Bonnies lost tonight so the door is open, assuming the duquies and davidson both have a loss in them.

Loved the pikachu guy trying to keep up with the flapping hawk tonight. That guy has to have sore shoulders after the game....

Lets go BILLS

21 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Hopefully with his comments after the game Ford realizes that the following lineup gives us our best chance to win

Yuri, JGood, Perkins, TJ and French.

These 5 guys together create the best stuff on both ends of the floor. 

And boy, did TJ get in Daly's head.  That goal tend had a strong effect on him, and he halfway backed down a few times later getting his shots blocked. That was a joy to watch. And then TJ burying that 3 was even better.  Bonnies lost tonight so the door is open, assuming the duquies and davidson both have a loss in them.

Loved the pikachu guy trying to keep up with the flapping hawk tonight. That guy has to have sore shoulders after the game....

Lets go BILLS

😑🙃🙄 smh. As long as someone else finally fuking says it. Bell ain’t a starter and Jacobs is good only 30% of the time. Looks lost

BIG BILL FAN likes this

The starting lineup won't change but Bell is only averaging 13 mins/game anyway and that may drop to 10 depending on matchups. He'll lose a few minutes and Jacobs may as well with those minutes going to TJ. Perk is already starting most second halves so his minutes will stay about the same.

Jacobs, Bell, and Weaver are big parts of our team and have contributed to several wins this season.

The starting lineup is fine, I like that Bell starts, it warms Bell up and has him ready to relieve French if he gets in foul trouble.  Bell throughout the season has substituted effectively for French and has rebounded well and is 60 percent from the line.

Jacobs is on and off offensively but when he is on it is a athletic display.  Jacobs has done a decent job defensively.

Weaver does what coach Ford intended him to do and that is adequately relieve Collins.  I do not want Collins playing 40 minutes someone needs relieve Yuri 5 to 8 minutes a game plus Weaver can hit 3 pointers.

It is not broke leave it alone.   

I agree the lineup that this thread is based on the last 2 games has been terrific and there is no reason to think if that lineup stays hot we will be hard to beat.

I like scoring and those 5 score a lot.

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Was impressed by TJ's D. He stayed in front of Daly instead of chasing him around. Good game, TJ! 

I'd be willing to bet DJ makes and all defensive team before his career at SLU is over. He certainly has the athletic gifts and you can just see his willingness and intensity. As he continues to learn he's going to continue to get better and better

Keep in mind St. Joes doesnt have a legit big let alone 2 legit forwards.  TJ was a great matchup for Daly, but neither he or Perkins are a good defensive matchup against a strong 4.  French has problems with taller, athletic matchups, so if he is playing against a taller quick 5, he either picks up fouls or just cant' get any good shots.  The bottom line is that we have to adjust our lineup to what the other team is doing to us at both ends of the floor.    Playing French at the post with 4 guards works great against a lot of lower to mid Div 1 teams, but the top third of Division 1 and most of the NCAA at large bids have size and athletisism at the post positions. 

Coach Ford is building a top 25 team.  That takes a team that can match up with teams that are strong at the forward positions.  That is why he signed Bell and Diarra.  He has also signed a good number of athletic guards so he can press teams that are weak or thin at the guard position.  He has more recently signed some sharp shooters who can stretch the floor and break a zone.  To regularly be in the top 25, a team has to be able to play and defend a good half court offense.  

We don't have a dominant NBA player, like Toppin, we have good players and need to matchup with opponents and play team ball.  Ford has been investing in Bell from the beginning of the season because he knows that he needs him to get this team where he wants it.  Bell has played some big defencs against some good inside players and in games where French got in foul trouble.  I believe the investment in Bell has already paid off and will pay greater dividends going forward. Ford signed each of these players for a reason, this freshmen class is special and each of them bring something significant to the table.   Diarra is the only one that we as fans haven't seen. 

TJ and Bell are both improving, good in some games and not so good in others, that is typical for freshmen and the matchups make a big difference. 

37 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Keep in mind St. Joes doesnt have a legit big let alone 2 legit forwards.  TJ was a great matchup for Daly, but neither he or Perkins are a good defensive matchup against a strong 4.  French has problems with taller, athletic matchups, so if he is playing against a taller quick 5, he either picks up fouls or just cant' get any good shots.  The bottom line is that we have to adjust our lineup to what the other team is doing to us at both ends of the floor.    Playing French at the post with 4 guards works great against a lot of lower to mid Div 1 teams, but the top third of Division 1 and most of the NCAA at large bids have size and athletisism at the post positions. 

Coach Ford is building a top 25 team.  That takes a team that can match up with teams that are strong at the forward positions.  That is why he signed Bell and Diarra.  He has also signed a good number of athletic guards so he can press teams that are weak or thin at the guard position.  He has more recently signed some sharp shooters who can stretch the floor and break a zone.  To regularly be in the top 25, a team has to be able to play and defend a good half court offense.  

We don't have a dominant NBA player, like Toppin, we have good players and need to matchup with opponents and play team ball.  Ford has been investing in Bell from the beginning of the season because he knows that he needs him to get this team where he wants it.  Bell has played some big defencs against some good inside players and in games where French got in foul trouble.  I believe the investment in Bell has already paid off and will pay greater dividends going forward. Ford signed each of these players for a reason, this freshmen class is special and each of them bring something significant to the table.   Diarra is the only one that we as fans haven't seen. 

TJ and Bell are both improving, good in some games and not so good in others, that is typical for freshmen and the matchups make a big difference. 

Everyone except probably one poster knows Bell will be a good player and should continue to get minutes. Jacobs will continue to play good minutes but if TJ continues to play well I'd bet he cuts into Jacobs and Weavers minutes. Though that will cut even more into our 3 point shooting. So there will still be games where TJ doesn't play as much and Jacobs and Weaver play more. Like said above teams, matchups, and who's hot will dictate minutes going forward

RUBillsFan likes this

I love TJ, and have high hopes for him. 

That being said, this was a good match up for him, like really good.  I dont see this always being the case, actually, most of the time I dont see this being the case, just yet.  

This newer SLU lineup of Yuri Collins, Jordan Goodwin, Javonte Perkins, TJ Hargrove and Hasahn French has to be the most talent on the floor at one time, 1 to 5, since I've followed the program, which goes back to the ‘70’s.

Kudos to Asst. Coach Ford Stuen for the out of the box idea to put Hargrove on Daly. Daly torched us in the earlier meeting in Philly, was unstoppable that night.

I like the idea of trying to develop TJ into a bit of a defensive stopper. With Thatch out, we're missing that element. He's athletic enough to guard several positions on the floor, he just needs experience and continued work on his technique. The coach's can get him to buy into and put in a lot of extra work, but telling him that is his best path for seeing playing time right now, until his offensive game develops.

31 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

TJ matches up well with wings. He gets in trouble against stronger bigs, and can't keep up with quick guards he gets switched on to. A little savvy going forward--maybe anticipate a big lowering the shoulder and getting a charge--will help TJ. I love his game though. 

Agreed. He currently doesn't have enough strength to keep bigs from the lane. This also hurts him on defensive rebounding. Too easily pushed off the ball. Hopefully a year in the weight room can cure some of this. 

42 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

This newer SLU lineup of Yuri Collins, Jordan Goodwin, Javonte Perkins, TJ Hargrove and Hasahn French has to be the most talent on the floor at one time, 1 to 5, since I've followed the program, which goes back to the ‘70’s.

I assume by "talented" you mean "athletic".

I can think of numerous 1 to 5 lineups during my time following that were filled with better basketball players.  In 2011-12 alone we could put together a lineup featuring any of Kwamain, McCall, Jett, Evans, Conklin, Ellis, and/or Loe.  That would certainly be a better 1 to 5 as evidence by those guys being core players during a 3 year NCAA run.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I still believe Jimmy Bell should get his 15 mpg. As pointed out above, these games are all about matchups. Without Jimmy we don't have a big defender to go against a team w/ a strong inside game. Yeah, he's still got aways to go, but he'll never get there by sitting on the bench. 

Bell does play 15 min against teams with a strong inside game.  He played 26 min against Dayton.  He played 17 min against La Salle.  He played 21 min against UMass.  He almost got to 15 min against VCU but we smartly exploited the mismatch with French once Santos-Silva got in foul trouble.  St. Joe's runs their offense through Daly so stopping him was the primary concern.  The three-forward lineup of Hargrove, Perkins and French was a brilliant counter. 

I think the coaching staff has handled our strong but slow-footed and vertically challenged freshman center about as well as you can.  They play him to his strengths and use a quicker lineup instead of allowing teams to exploit his weaknesses.  Bell will get a little bit faster and gain some explosiveness over the summer, allowing him to play against more diverse lineups.

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I'd be willing to bet DJ makes and all defensive team before his career at SLU is over. He certainly has the athletic gifts and you can just see his willingness and intensity. As he continues to learn he's going to continue to get better and better

I imagine Ford has told him his playing time will be proportionate to his defensive intensity and focus.

TJ Hargrove is always on my birthday invite list.  Lots of these Billikens are.