GDT - Crush Wesleyan

2 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

The fact you have to go back 30+ years to find an example stands against the point imo.

Hand behind the ball, minimum interference from off hand would at least combat the left/right issues and immediately help.  French I didn’t expect huge improvements from for whatever reason but if Goodwin really hit the backboard before the rim last night, (as one poster suggested) then that is very disappointing bc he will have the ball in crunch time.  The Davidson loss was absolutely brutal last year.  Was hoping for significant improvement from JG 

Just the first one that came to mind, but I see your point. 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I never said he didn't.  I'm sure he did. Just didn't see the results of it last night. Let'a see how it goes from here. 

He shot twice last night.  He made one.  If he had made two would you have proclaimed, "EUREKA, French has fixed his FT's?"   Of course not.  Let it play out.

14 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

The fact you have to go back 30+ years to find an example stands against the point imo.

Hand behind the ball, minimum interference from off hand would at least combat the left/right issues and immediately help.  French I didn’t expect huge improvements from for whatever reason but if Goodwin really hit the backboard before the rim last night, (as one poster suggested) then that is very disappointing bc he will have the ball in crunch time.  The Davidson loss was absolutely brutal last year.  Was hoping for significant improvement from JG 

For me, the season is a success to the extent that Goodwin transitions the offensive load to better offensive players over the next couple months.  We should not be in a position in January and February where we are depending on Goodwin to hit free throws in the last three minutes to win games.  That's the function Thatch, Perkins and Jimerson should be performing.

cgeldmacher likes this

19 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

im sure there's a ton.  What I really hate about it is this, if you take the exact same shot technique and one shoots 50% and one shoots 70%- one is poor technique and the others is called unique. 

-a couple positives for me last night were even though we pressed the entire game we only fouled 13 times and in our exhibition game we only had 12 to's, I hope signs of good things

-the 50 rebounds is not all telling as many were us getting our own rebound

-GJ, Jimmy, Jierson, whatever, I want you to keep shooting, almost every chance you get, but you better play defense if you want clock

-the record keeping starts on Tuesday, let's see where we go

the player i want to see more defensive intensity out of is jacobs.  that young man is a very gifted athlete and he should be out front with belly button in your face defense every bit as much as goodwin and thatch.   goodwin and thatch were warriors on defense last night.   jacobs needs to be as well.  he wasnt ole defense.   but he could have been more.  

gus was bad.  probably had 4 name id mistakes in the first 5 minutes.   numerous times had no clue who the billiken that got fouled or committed the foul.   i guess it is beyond his dignity to do any prep work.  

and the nonsense of announcing to everyone on two different occasions "make the free throw for free chik fil-a".   come on.   let the guy shoot his free throws without any added attention.  

why oh why do we keep him around.  he's as embarrassing today as he was in 1993.   

Based on 40 minutes of exhibition ball, I was impressed with Collin's defense.  He only had one steal but he was disruptive on the ball.  

Three point shooting DEFENSE will improve.  This has always been a focus of Coach Ford.  Last season we finished 40th in the nation at 31.6%.  Last night's 40% will soon be an outlier.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

High scorers last night:

French, 19 points on 9/12 shooting in 26 min
Thatch, 12 points on 5/13 shooting in 19 min
Goodwin, 10 points on 5/12 shooting in 30 min
Perkins, 8 points on 3/5 shooting in 9 min
Hankton, 6 points on 2/3 shooting in 11 min

Why are people booing me when I said Perkins needs more pt. IM RIGHT

23 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

This. It didn't look perfect but there was obvious improvement. People need to stop with the underhand narrative.

I wasn't there, so I cannot comment on how his mechanics looked. Agreed that it is too early to have that discussion. However, if he has another season shooting in the mid-30% from the line I think you consider any option at that point. But no point having that discussion until we see what results he has this season because if his rotation is better and he is putting the ball on line, I want to see what the results look like. If comparable then the issue would just boil down to a complete lack of touch, right? Which could give some credence to the underhand approach. I mean 36.4% and 34.9% is astoundingly bad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/sports/ncaabasketball/underhand-free-throw-rick-barry.html

6 hours ago, SShoe said:

Fwiw, the ball's rotation looked much better on his made free throw than it did at pretty much any point last year. 

Agree. And from mechanics standpoint, both of his free throws were straight - not left or right. His one miss was short. So at least we have that - so far.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

gus was bad.  probably had 4 name id mistakes in the first 5 minutes.   numerous times had no clue who the billiken that got fouled or committed the foul.   i guess it is beyond his dignity to do any prep work.  

and the nonsense of announcing to everyone on two different occasions "make the free throw for free chik fil-a".   come on.   let the guy shoot his free throws without any added attention.  

why oh why do we keep him around.  he's as embarrassing today as he was in 1993.   

Besides the irritants you cite he showed his lack of basic basketball knowledge, once for sure (and I think twice) by announcing the number of free throws a Billiken was going to get.  In the 2nd half on KWU's 9th foul and it was not a shooting foul, he announced that our player was going to the line shooting 2!  Uh, Gus. you don't get the double bonus 2 instead of one, until the 10th foul.  If nothing else, pay attention to the official, who comes over to the score's table-no more than 4/5 feet from you-and tells the scorer how many free throws the shooter is getting.  Gus,  A finger on each hand means one and one .  You don't add the two fingers and come up with a two shot foul!

I know Tucci was a GP buddy and had lots of influence with the Ath Dept.  But  Tucci is no longer with us, so could it be possible to rid the program of this embarrassment?   If we all wrote the AD could we make it happen?

His "cluck, cluck" is just one more example of his thinking he is the funniest guy around, when he really is just a sad, worn-out has-been!

11 minutes ago, bauman said:

Besides the irritants you cite he showed his lack of basic basketball knowledge, once for sure (and I think twice) by announcing the number of free throws a Billiken was going to get.  In the 2nd half on KWU's 9th foul and it was not a shooting foul, he announced that our player was going to the line shooting 2!  Uh, Gus. you don't get the double bonus 2 instead of one, until the 10th foul.  If nothing else, pay attention to the official, who comes over to the score's table-no more than 4/5 feet from you-and tells the scorer how many free throws the shooter is getting.  Gus,  A finger on each hand means one and one .  You don't add the two fingers and come up with a two shot foul!

I know Tucci was a GP buddy and had lots of influence with the Ath Dept.  But  Tucci is no longer with us, so could it be possible to rid the program of this embarrassment?   If we all wrote the AD could we make it happen?

His "cluck, cluck" is just one more example of his thinking he is the funniest guy around, when he really is just a sad, worn-out has-been!

I really think this is the answer.

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

He shot twice last night.  He made one.  If he had made two would you have proclaimed, "EUREKA, French has fixed his FT's?"   Of course not.  Let it play out.

I was talking about JGood. If French gets to 50% I'll be over the moon. 

On 10/31/2019 at 7:55 AM, Taj79 said:

ARon --- completely accepting and understanding of your D2 recruiting statement.  How about your analysis on the second half of my statement --- as to why everybody BUT the Billikens have a shooter or two on their roster? 

Not true.  VCU, who won the regular season, shot about the same from 3 pt as we did. They defended slightly better and shot free throws much better. Unfortunately our best two players are our worst shooters so there's a cap on how much we can improve our free throw shooting.

I'm about as worried about Jimerson's jump shot as I was when I saw Kevin Lisch go 5/20 at the 7Up Shootout. Which is not worried at all.

almaman likes this

3star --- I'm not pushing the FT shooting at all, just the floor shooting.  SLU -- where jump shots come to die.  That's the why as in why does that seem to be the case?  Or why do we only have one designated shooter?  Multiple shooters have always exists on VCU for all my recent memory.  Evans.  Jenkins.  Simms.  Crowfield.  Vann.  Lewis.  Doughty.  Brooks.  Burgess.  Johnson.  Weber. Graham.  And the list goes on.  And many of these guys were options on the same team.  Last year, all we really had was Wiley (as the designated bomber).  In our best heyday, our shooters were maybe three or fou r.. Mitchell, Ellis, Loe and McCall.  Before that, the real heights were Claggett, Hmark, Waldman and Dobbs.  Then add Turner.  Since the graduation of the RickMa class, we are lucky to have one per roster over these past years and there were many more where we had only one (Deiner). 

At least that's my perception.

27 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

3star --- I'm not pushing the FT shooting at all, just the floor shooting.  SLU -- where jump shots come to die.  That's the why as in why does that seem to be the case?  Or why do we only have one designated shooter?  Multiple shooters have always exists on VCU for all my recent memory.  Evans.  Jenkins.  Simms.  Crowfield.  Vann.  Lewis.  Doughty.  Brooks.  Burgess.  Johnson.  Weber. Graham.  And the list goes on.  And many of these guys were options on the same team.  Last year, all we really had was Wiley (as the designated bomber).  In our best heyday, our shooters were maybe three or fou r.. Mitchell, Ellis, Loe and McCall.  Before that, the real heights were Claggett, Hmark, Waldman and Dobbs.  Then add Turner.  Since the graduation of the RickMa class, we are lucky to have one per roster over these past years and there were many more where we had only one (Deiner). 

At least that's my perception.

Here are the stats from VCU's big three last year from 3pt range:

Evans 27.3

Jenkins 34.1

Vann 30.4

Bess shot about 33% from 3 and Isabell shot 32.5, which is higher than the Vann and Evans. Last year's VCU squad simply doesn't fit into your narrative.

One exhibition game is way too early to write off Jimerson as an outside threat.  I saw Kevin Lisch struggle with his shot in a couple of games early in his career.  It happens. if you're looking for a 2nd outside threat we've also got Perkins. And Hankton should be good for at least one 3 a game off the bench.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Not true.  VCU, who won the regular season, shot about the same from 3 pt as we did. They defended slightly better and shot free throws much better. Unfortunately our best two players are our worst shooters so there's a cap on how much we can improve our free throw shooting.

I'm about as worried about Jimerson's jump shot as I was when I saw Kevin Lisch go 5/20 at the 7Up Shootout. Which is not worried at all.

You know, I never looked up vcu's team stats last year and im very surprised after looking at them.

we made 814 FG's, they made 801 = 26 more points for us.

we made 197 3's, they made 229 3's = 96 more points for them. 

we made 467 FT's, they made 455 FT's = 12 points more for us.

Really felt like they had a much better offense.  shots taken was in line too for the most part. 

SLU_Lax likes this