Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
BillsBeliever!!!

Javon Bess ——> New Orleans

Recommended Posts

Would love to see him make the team. That’s gonna be an exciting team that gets a lot of national TV time with Zion and the haul from the AD trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he makes that team that will be something.  Just looking at their roster composition.  They have Jrue, Lonzo, Nikeil Alexander, and about 5 other SF/SGs that presumably would have a leg up on him.  I don't know how it works...does he get a big check for being signed like this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

If he makes that team that will be something.  Just looking at their roster composition.  They have Jrue, Lonzo, Nikeil Alexander, and about 5 other SF/SGs that presumably would have a leg up on him.  I don't know how it works...does he get a big check for being signed like this? 

They just give him a regular sized one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They just give him a regular sized one.

Your dad joke skills are quite advanced for someone your age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Your dad joke skills are quite advanced for someone your age.

Thanks, I can't take all the credit. I have to thank the movies Blank Check and Happy Gilmore for their inspiration on this specific dad joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how the contracts of undrafted free agents compare to the two-way and g-league contracts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I understand, he's basically getting paid to be a practice player through the summer and in camp. If things go well, he'll sign a better deal down the line.

The Pelicans will be a tough roster to crack, but Bess will get a chance to measure up daily against a talented group of young players and their summer league games will be the most watched of any team because of Zion.

He's really there in case other players get hurt or don't play with enough defensive intensity (which would be the case no matter what team he signed with).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MattyMo213 said:

Does anyone know how the contracts of undrafted free agents compare to the two-way and g-league contracts?

I'm not sure, but based on the Fred VanVleet video that is going around , it seems you may have more options when signing as an UDFA vs. being a 2nd round pick (he basically says he would have been forced to play in the G-League): 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pretty much first round is all that matters.   guaranteed contract in first round.  not thereafter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll resist the temptation to start a new thread.

St. Joe's Charlie Brown signed a two way with Atlanta.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'll resist the temptation to start a new thread.

St. Joe's Charlie Brown signed a two way with Atlanta.

 

Atlanta loves those A10 players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I wish I could see Bess defend Zion in practice

im sure you'll get a chance at some point.  Media is gonna do whatever it takes to get behind the scenes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

im sure you'll get a chance at some point.  Media is gonna do whatever it takes to get behind the scenes. 

But will a Javon defensive stop of Zion make the media highlights?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

But will a Javon defensive stop of Zion make the media highlights?

It will on Billiken .Com TV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best part about signing with the Pelicans....he gets to meet Lavar a ball!!

Big Baller Brand for life!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

But will a Javon defensive stop of Zion make the media highlights?

damn, didnt even think about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Javon. Guessing his deal is 100% unguaranteed but wouldn’t be surprised to see him stick around the league for a bit. Might take him a few stints in the d-league, but he is a big enough guy that can defend. There’s room for that as a 10-13th man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a glimpse into what Javon is doing.

UDFAs don't get a salary.  They have a per diem of $127 a day.  Their hotels, transportation, meals are all comped as long as they are active in the summer league or the training camp.  If you make it through a couple cuts at camp you can be eligible to $2000 per week for 4 weeks of training camp.  If you get signed to the team, or as a G league 2 way player you have to pay that money back out of your salary.  

Summer League will have approximately 450 players participating.  About 150 of those have roster spots locked up.  The remaining are competing for essentially 25-30 spots across the league that are filled bu UDFAs each season.  Javon's chances of making a roster are pretty slim and there is little to no financial upside to him participating.  Hopefully he plays his way onto a roster in the NBA, G League or impresses scouts from a foreign league who sign him up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isabell with a clippers summer camp tryout 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Isabell with a clippers summer camp tryout 

To be more specific, he is playing with them in summer league. Not in camp with the main team. 

We saw Loe and McCall in summer league the summer after they graduated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Just a glimpse into what Javon is doing.

UDFAs don't get a salary.  They have a per diem of $127 a day.  Their hotels, transportation, meals are all comped as long as they are active in the summer league or the training camp.  If you make it through a couple cuts at camp you can be eligible to $2000 per week for 4 weeks of training camp.  If you get signed to the team, or as a G league 2 way player you have to pay that money back out of your salary.  

Summer League will have approximately 450 players participating.  About 150 of those have roster spots locked up.  The remaining are competing for essentially 25-30 spots across the league that are filled bu UDFAs each season.  Javon's chances of making a roster are pretty slim and there is little to no financial upside to him participating.  Hopefully he plays his way onto a roster in the NBA, G League or impresses scouts from a foreign league who sign him up.

If he does well in summer league and makes it to training camp and then gets cut, his overseas contract will be bigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Just a glimpse into what Javon is doing.

UDFAs don't get a salary.  They have a per diem of $127 a day.  Their hotels, transportation, meals are all comped as long as they are active in the summer league or the training camp.  If you make it through a couple cuts at camp you can be eligible to $2000 per week for 4 weeks of training camp.  If you get signed to the team, or as a G league 2 way player you have to pay that money back out of your salary.  

Summer League will have approximately 450 players participating.  About 150 of those have roster spots locked up.  The remaining are competing for essentially 25-30 spots across the league that are filled bu UDFAs each season.  Javon's chances of making a roster are pretty slim and there is little to no financial upside to him participating.  Hopefully he plays his way onto a roster in the NBA, G League or impresses scouts from a foreign league who sign him up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...