Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/22/2018 at 9:23 AM, Glorydays2013 said:

of those transfers I would say 30 max are high level players that would make an impact

Here is the list.  Which 30 are you talking about?

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019

I think Gordon might have a solid impact. What do you think? (No not that Gordon, the other one that is on the list.)

There are at least two huge impact players that will be eligible second semester, and they are not in the Yes column. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, I was wondering when we would see something like this. No reason for guys to be forced to play a season of college basketball if they are good enough to play professionally out of high school and that is the route they would prefer to take in the US for decent pay in that year (understanding this route was already available, but the pay wasn't any good in the G League and spending a year abroad is a big jump for some). I do think there is still appeal for guys to be one in done in college as opposed to $125k playing in the G League though, so I see this as more of a start.

10 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Eh, I have mixed feelings about this.

The way I see it, playing professional sports does not require a college degree, or any level of college education. Even if they get ok grades and make an effort in class for a semester or two, should we be forcing this charade of making them attend college for a year?

This G League news is interesting.  Why isn't this from the NBA rather than the G League.  There still is no direct path for the Jayson Tatum's to go straight from HS to the League. 

Did the Players Association buy into this?  Did they need to?  Maybe this is a path to go around the NBAPA?  Don't know.  My sense is that the Players Association isn't keen on HS one and doners going to the NBA. They will want some sort of concession if they let the young un's in at the expense of some old vets.

I have mixed feelings about this.  I like that it is a start.  However, I am worried that this is a fake fix to satisfy opponents of the one and done rule.  If a high school kid is worth a two million dollar signing bonus, because he's that good, why would he take $125,000 to go to the G League.  I still see kids choosing free luxury accommodations and free meals at Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky over $125,000 to be staying in crappy hotels for a year in the G League.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I have mixed feelings about this.  I like that it is a start.  However, I am worried that this is a fake fix to satisfy opponents of the one and done rule.  If a high school kid is worth a two million dollar signing bonus, because he's that good, why would he take $125,000 to go to the G League.  I still see kids choosing free luxury accommodations and free meals at Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky over $125,000 to be staying in crappy hotels for a year in the G League.

Agreed, that is what I am thinking. The top tier college basketball programs have such developed facilities and have essentially worked around the educational aspect, that it will take some significant development in the G League for them to get the top one and done kids for $125k in my opinion. This option is likely attractive to a small % of the one and done kids, but I still think most will go the college blue blood route and I think that is likely still best for their development and brand than the alternative. Since college became the one and done path, these blue bloods have a tremendous head start on providing the ideal experience for these kids. When can the NBA just change their rules allowing kids to enter the draft out of high school? 

the definition of "one and done" changes significantly if something like this is available for kids.    a player with not quite the level of a guaranteed 1st round draft pick would likely be very interested in getting $125,000 a year.    right now that player pretty much is assured to go back to school the next year.   

Just about every kid that plans to go the one and done route would and should jump at this if they get an offer.  The players who take advantage of this will be far more advanced than any player who goes the college route.  College players are limited in the number of games, practices and the amount of coaching they can receive.  The age of the top 15-20 high school players going to college for a year or more is over.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Just about every kid that plans to go the one and done route would and should jump at this if they get an offer.  The players who take advantage of this will be far more advanced than any player who goes the college route.  College players are limited in the number of games, practices and the amount of coaching they can receive.  The age of the top 15-20 high school players going to college for a year or more is over.

-Jane, I see your point, is a counter getting to play at UK or Duke or wherever, the coeds, probably better travel,  better meals, still getting paid in some fashion, faux classes, I can see where some go G league and some continue in NCAA

-and what does the agent advise? is agent getting paid for a year in college?

16 hours ago, brianstl said:

This will be an interesting test of the power of the brand of the NCAA. That is the only argument against doing this - that the player is pretty anonymous for an entire year in the G League vs being on ESPN and a chance at an NCAA run. I don’t know if that college experience has any value long term to the players #brand or not.  

/rovell 

21 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

This will be an interesting test of the power of the brand of the NCAA. That is the only argument against doing this - that the player is pretty anonymous for an entire year in the G League vs being on ESPN and a chance at an NCAA run. I don’t know if that college experience has any value long term to the players #brand or not.  

/rovell 

I think this is the big argument. Is a kid more likely to get a shoe contract after playing a year of ncaa and becoming a household name or being a relative no name in the G league. Is the difference in that shoe contract worth $125k?