Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

Like cigarettes ..... post them if you got them .....

First salvo ...... Danny Hurley named first in line for Uconn job.

Second .....Xeriyus Williams transferring from YouDee.  And Josh Cunningham will NOT be a grad transfer.

I saw LoRo back to Pepperdine  as well.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think Hurley is making a mistake if he takes the UConn job.  UConn is a bad fit in the AAC.  The job is going to be tough as long as they are playing in that conference.

Brian it seems that moving from Rhode Island to UConn is not a big jump up other than conference.

Wouldn't the Pitt job be a better upgrade because of the ACC?

UConn just a few years was a consensus blue blood.  Conference affiliation is everything.

Pitt was recruiting mostly from New England/NYC/Philly.  That is hard now playing in the ACC.  Plus they are the bottom feeder of that league.  They need a top flight coach to recruit anybody there.  A lot of these teams that are not a geographical fit in their conference are going to have a rough go of it once their longtime HCs leave or retire.  Pitt is a misfit.  Would be better off recruiting from Big Ten, Big East, or even the Big 12 than the ACC.

4 minutes ago, thetorch said:

UConn just a few years was a consensus blue blood.  Conference affiliation is everything.

Pitt was recruiting mostly from New England/NYC/Philly.  That is hard now playing in the ACC.  Plus they are the bottom feeder of that league.  They need a top flight coach to recruit anybody there.  A lot of these teams that are not a geographical fit in their conference are going to have a rough go of it once their longtime HCs leave or retire.  Pitt is a misfit.  Would be better off recruiting from Big Ten, Big East, or even the Big 12 than the ACC.

That seems similar to Missouri's football recruiting in the SEC.

8 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That seems similar to Missouri's football recruiting in the SEC.

Similar.  A generation or more of a recruiting footprint changed overnight. 

West Virginia after Huggins retires will be worse off than UConn. 

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

A lot of these teams that are not a geographical fit in their conference are going to have a rough go of it once their longtime HCs leave or retire.

I don’t mean to open a can of worms, but, ahem, couldn’t you make a similar regarding SLU and the A10 as currently constructed minus the longtime coach part?

Similar to SLU, schools like Pitt in the ACC and UConn in the AAC are there because those are their best options.

17 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don’t mean to open a can of worms, but, ahem, couldn’t you make a similar regarding SLU and the A10 as currently constructed minus the longtime coach part?

Similar to SLU, schools like Pitt in the ACC and UConn in the AAC are there because those are their best options.

I was going to say the same thing and I recall Majerus making that argument for why the A-10 wasn’t a good long term fit. SLU being a part of the A-10 really doesn’t make much sense geographically or just logically. I saw Majerus give a talk and he asked for volunteers to name all of the teams in the league and nobody could. It’s an odd league for SLU with teams few people in STL know anything about beyond Dayton and VCU.

Hurley will have his pick of several jobs.   Chances are good he bolts.   His 28th ranked recruiting class will disintegrate if he does.

Schmidt may get some sniffs also.  Look at the players he can convince to go to Olean, NY.  He might be a Plan B for someone.  

A smart school would look at McKilop too.

Mckillop probably stays put.  I didn't realize he has several international players, from a host of countries, Serbia, Iceland, Finland, Sweden, and Nigeria. 

I was surprised to see 8 suited players on the bench, while 5 were playing. They sure seem well coached.

11 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Like cigarettes ..... post them if you got them .....

First salvo ...... Danny Hurley named first in line for Uconn job.

Second .....Xeriyus Williams transferring from YouDee.  And Josh Cunningham will NOT be a grad transfer.

I saw LoRo back to Pepperdine  as well.

I could see LoRo heading back to Malibu before the FBI turns Tucson into SMU. He'd be smart to get the heck out of Dodge. 

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Hurley will have his pick of several jobs.   Chances are good he bolts.   His 28th ranked recruiting class will disintegrate if he does.

Schmidt may get some sniffs also.  Look at the players he can convince to go to Olean, NY.  He might be a Plan B for someone.  

A smart school would look at McKilop too.

Ah, the old Fran McCaffery Theory. 

-not that I expect anything to happen this off-season, I wonder who CMay has on his list of those he would have interest in if he had to, knowing nothing about their status/background/name/etc, I would guess the guy from Middle TN would merit a look

17 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-not that I expect anything to happen this off-season, I wonder who CMay has on his list of those he would have interest in if he had to, knowing nothing about their status/background/name/etc, I would guess the guy from Middle TN would merit a look

If you think Chris May has a contingency plan in place for Ford leaving, you have a higher opinion of him than I do. 

NextYearBill likes this

35 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Why even bring this up? Ford ain’t bouncing 

8 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

If you think Chris May has a contingency plan in place for Ford leaving, you have a higher opinion of him than I do. 

I think things are changing down on Laclede and we will eventually even see that change at 1 N. Grand.  My guess is May is on board with those changes.  The days of doing stuff half a$$ and in a bush league manner are over.  Plans will be implemented for multiple contingencies with clear objectives instead of buzz word tomes that have no clearly stated measurable goal. A self-made billionaire businessman basketball fan is going to have a large say in how SLU operates.  He is going to want it to operate with the same discipline and planning that he operates his businesses with.  If you aren't on board, you will be gone.

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

I haven’t followed it much lately, but doesnt UCONN still have issues hanging over the program? 

They do, but I think they won't turn out to be much.  Their bigger issues are conference and Jim Calhoun still thinking he should be running the show.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think things are changing down on Laclede and we will eventually even see that change at 1 N. Grand.  My guess is May is on board with those changes.  The days of doing stuff half a$$ and in a bush league manner are over.  Plans will be implemented for multiple contingencies with clear objectives instead of buzz word tomes that have no clearly stated measurable goal. A self-made billionaire businessman basketball fan is going to have a large say in how SLU operates.  He is going to want it to operate with the same discipline and planning that he operates his businesses with.  If you aren't on board, you will be gone.

Towel me 

NextYearBill likes this