Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, prebilliken said:

Also, another "fun fact, if you will, I lived at GW for a summer semester two summers in a row for internships during my time at SLU, their dorms make DeMatt look like the penthouse suite at the Ritz Carlton in Maui. 

Its a weird campus, obviously very urban feeling being in the heart of DC, but it really makes you appreciate how well SLU manages having an urban campus and all the green space we have. Coming back to SLU felt like what I imagine getting out of prison feels like. GDub's location in the middle of DC makes for some cool opportunities, but you really don't get the any sense of the "traditional" campus experience. 

Can you imagine female athletes wearing a jersey with Hippos written on it. Far more offensive IMO than the alternative.

I get the feeling that the VCU of old is long gone ...... since Wade left and Rhoades came on, six players have transferred out with the latest being Lewis Djonkam.  Djonkam is much of a loss, only averaging about 3 mpg over 20 games but the trend, for me when looking at VCU, is alarming.  The only one coming in is Rhoades' Rice follower Marcus Evans.  But in a strange twist, here comes Michael Gilmore .. again.   Gilmore was a freshman along with Justin Tillman and Jonathon Williams.  A three-star recruit who did okay his freshman year (25 gp) and sophomore years (30 gp) before transferring out to Floirida Gulf Coast.  In his one year there, he played almost a half per game in 25 of their 34 games averaging a little over 6 ppg.  And now he's transferring back as a grad transfer.  Hmm.  VCU is currently three schollies short of a full boat.  Without more serviceable help, they are in just as much trouble as Dayton for next year.

The Bonnies got a transfer commit out of Mt. St. Mary's in Bobby Plantus.  The 6'8" freshman averaged over 23 mpg in the Mounts 32 games last year, playing in them all and was the teams sixth leading score at just over 5 ppg.  He has to sit a year.  Not that impressed and it still leaves th eBonnies three players short as well with one of th eten spots now occupied by someone not seeing the court next year.  Schmidt needs to find some magic.  And Brownies prophecy of three, five-star JUCO "jackrabbits" is more hasenpfeffer than anything else. 

La Salle, without Gianinni but still carrying on in the recent tradition of Ramon Galloway, BJ Johnson, Pookie Powell and Tyrone Garland has 6'2" SG David Beatty transferring back to hometown Philly after a year at South Carolina.  Beatty played in 29 of USC's 32 games last year for about a quarter per game and averaged 3 ppg and less than 1 apg.  Originally, he was listed with 3.7 stars. 

Transfers continue to announce as evidenced by our Jalen Johnson.  Umass noted PG Rayshawn Miller is transferring as is Richmonds' PF Phoenix Ford.  Miller is a fromer walk-on who played a lot in Umass' depleted roster last year.  Ford is listed on the roster but not in the stats so he must've redshirted.

Current roster vacancies:  Davidson (3), Dayton (2), Duquesne (6), Fordham (6), Mason (2), GeeDubya (2) , La Salle (2), Umass (2), Rhode Island (3), Richmond (3), St. Joe's (1), Saint Louis (2),  St. Bonaventure (3) and VCU (3).

In terms of mascot, come on ... anyone can find offense with anything.  Does a Flyer discriminate against the aeronautically-challenged? I am pretty sure there were some unscrupulous Dukes out there too.  Patriots and Minutemen can be seen in some countries as nationalist terrorists.  Explorers likely did some unspeakable things tramping through wilderness wigwams on their way to the West Coast.  The Dukes of Hazzard could not drive a car named the General Lee.  Tattoo was a belittling caricature of Asian Pacific dwarfism.  We wouldn't know if the plane was coming or not.  I think the student section should cheer for the "Hippos" at every chance we get ..... both men and women.  "Go you fat, slow hippos!'  "Steve Rogers is a Hippo!"  Lots of stuff out there for easy pickings.

I actually think Gilmore is a really good pickup for VCU.  He missed the first semester because he was ineligible after transferring from Miami originally after VCU.   His per procession numbers are pretty good, he is a decent enough 3 point shooter, his total rebound percentage would have been in the top 40 in the nation if he would have had enough minutes to qualify and his defensive rating would have been in the top 100.  

• 2 weeks later...

Kansas fired its AD - Sheahon Zenger

Dude sucks/sucked at helping the football program but did wonders with the basketball program. 

In a magical world we would see him in St Louis. 

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Dude sucks/sucked at helping the football program but did wonders with the basketball program. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheahon_Zenger

If ever there was an AD that Billikens.com could get behind. Born in...

Salina Kansas. 

48 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not necessarily disagreeing,  but I am curious at how you would assess that he "did wonders" with the basketball program... How much work can an AD do for Jayhawk basketball after having the prestige of the KU program and Bill Self (who in my opinion is the best coach in College hoops) to work with? Obviously, I agree he just couldn't do anything for the football program... 

KU football would be an interesting business school case study on the perils and pitfalls of big time college football. From 12 wins and a BCS appearance/win in 2007, to a win-less season 10 years later. Their facilities have to be the worst in the entirety of the Big 12, which is sad, because the way the football stadium is situated on campus is quite scenic.

I would not doubt if we saw old Arkansas AD Jeff Long take that gig. Long was a football centric AD at both Arkansas and Pitt that focused on fundraising, facilities improvements, and getting the academic house in order. Long made a terrible hire with Bret Bielema but did well with the Mike Anderson hiring. Most importantly, he elevated Arkansas to having perhaps the best facilities in all of college sports when looked at from an "All-Sport" perspective. He made long overdue improvements to the aging behemoth that is Bud Walton Arena, and in 2019, Arkansas will finish stadium renovations that will give them some of the finest facilities in college football. 

While I have been a vocal critic of our current AD, Zenger would make me nervous for the choice of leading the Bills programs due to his background. How much does Zenger know about leading a small, private school that is geographically located in the middle of multiple State School powerhouse programs? The long term success of SLU athletics is dependent upon on AD that can differentiate us into an "Urban" athletics programs that thrives at Basketball and other secondary sports, and we can always do a better job of marketing ourselves to fans in the city who are non alums. We have seen from programs like Nova, Xavier, and Marquette that "winning" in the business of college athletics isn't about doing what the P5 programs do better, but doing something different. I'm not convinced Zenger is the right man for the job. 

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

May just signed a new 5 year contract last year I believe - SLU will not eat that contract.  This is a school that let the women's BB coach twist in the wind for 2 years just so they would not have to pay her anything for doing nothing.

But we did payoff Jim Crews who did less than nothing.

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

But we did payoff Jim Crews who did less than nothing.

The alternative was to keep him and ruin the program for decades.  Replacing May does not compare at all.  Besides, I doubt donors will step forward as they did with Crews to pay off May.

18 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The alternative was to keep him and ruin the program for decades.  Replacing May does not compare at all.  Besides, I doubt donors will step forward as they did with Crews to pay off May.

Chaifetz has May in his pocket. Why would he pay for him to leave? 

• 2 weeks later...

Confirming from other thread reports that VCU transfer Marcus Evans tore his Achilles and likely out for 2018-19 season.

In other news, the MAAC annopunced it is moving its men andwomen's conference tournament from Albany to Atlantic City for 2020 to 2022.  This is the conference with Siena, Iona, Manhattan, etc.

A10 Transfer Updates:

As noted in the JUCO thread, Richmond RS Jr Khwan Fore changed his grad transfer from Tennessee to Louisville.

Also, GeeDubya PG Jair Bolden willtransfer to South Carolina.  If he thought Lonergan was tough, here comes Frankie Martin.

De'Monte Buckingham from Richmond to Cal State Bakersfield.  Rodney Chatman FR PG from Chattanooga to Dayton.  Chris Sodom, a 7'3" FR C from Georgetown to GeeDubya.  Scott Spencer 6'6" PF from Clemson to La Salle.

A10ers still with no landing spots include JJ, Crosby and Pierce from Dayton, and Verhoeven from Duquesne as well as a few others from Fordham, Umass and Duquesne.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

A10 Transfer Updates:

Also, GeeDubya PG Jair Bolden willtransfer to South Carolina.  If he thought Lonergan was tough, here comes Frankie Martin.

Frank's not tough, he's effing insane! Right now he's on thin ice and playing second banana to Dawn Staley, the Women's HC. Cock fans tend to be patient, but he better get them dancing this season or it could be hey hey goodbye time for Frank. You do know that Bowen, the UL semi pro, is now going NBA after he committed to SC.

kshoe ---- my inference wasn't about job security, but rather coaching demeanor.  Mike Lonergan got canned at Geedubya for being too rough and verbally abusive on his players.  Players filed the complaints with the AD; AD initiated an investigation; Lonergan got suspended; Mo Joseph took over; Lonergan got fired.  I have heard old Frank is a peach, having studied at the foot of the great luvable Huggy Bear.  Martin's job security, to me, was never in question.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

kshoe ---- my inference wasn't about job security, but rather coaching demeanor.  Mike Lonergan got canned at Geedubya for being too rough and verbally abusive on his players.  Players filed the complaints with the AD; AD initiated an investigation; Lonergan got suspended; Mo Joseph took over; Lonergan got fired.  I have heard old Frank is a peach, having studied at the foot of the great luvable Huggy Bear.  Martin's job security, to me, was never in question.

Taj, I was responding to SLU72 who said frank had better have them dancing next year or he could be out of a job.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Didn’t we learn from crews recruits that wingspan really doesn’t matter. He used that to hype up his last recruiting class 

I dont even know who the dukes HC is but still>>>>>>>crews