GDT: Billikens at Spahders

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m so proud of every player and coach on this team. It’s unbelievable how much everything has been stacked against them from the start. 

They just go out and ball. 

They sure went out and balled and your right about all of the coaches Ford's staff has been excellent and some may move on to be good head coaches one day

Was out all day yesterday and just caught the game off the DVR.

That was the best managed game I seen the Bills play in a long time. Talk about playing to our strengths and to Richmond weaknesses. Being able to adapt to a very short bench and no Goodwin. Everyone I thought played well and kept to game plan, including Hines. I give a big congrats to TF for game preparation.

BTW: Bess better be A10 Player of the Week.

-quotes from the Richmond paper....about HF..“It definitely started with him. He’s like a beast down low,” UR’s De’Monte Buckingham said. “He plays with great toughness and he’s that type of person that just wants the ball and just wants to score any time he wants.” -- “We tried a number of different things,” UR coach Chris Mooney said. “French is a difficult guy to keep the ball away from.” -- nice when the other team says such things about you

Had the grandkids so watched it on delayed DVR.  Great game all around.  As tarheel said, playing to our strengths and taking advantage of some Richmond weaknesses.  I thought our overall maturity coupled with French's brute force strength down low knocked Richmond for a loop.  Golden and Gilyard are freshmen.  Sherrod and Buckingham are sophomores.  So the future there is bbright but if that is as strong as Richmond can get down low, they will always underachieve.  They had no answer for Foreman, let along French.  When they went with five guards at the end to extend the game, I still thought we had them.  Even when the "hac-a-shaq" played some dividends.  But c'mon, the two fouls Golden had on Foreman were as intentional as it gets.  Still .... 

The disputed goaltending call debate with the announcers was funny.  Ball was laid up off the glass, once it hits that, it's do not touch.  And Buckingham did that.  I thought we also dominated and showed control because we forced them out of that match up zone they play to straight man-to-man and they had no one for our two bigs.  Golden may get freshman of the year given Goodwin is gone but he's no post player.  He is more in tune with a Peyton Aldridge type than a Hashan French type.

And French was fantastic.  Nice to see him and Foreman handling the ball for guard relief.  We have four games left and, on paper, we match up well across the board despite the short bench.  Dayton only goes five deep.  Duquesne is fading (Mike Lewis 0-for-11 last night and Eric Williams went 6-for-21).  That's the road.  At home, a short squad from GeeDubya and then the two-man team from Bonaventure.  But eachgame will be a battle and require similar efforts like last night.

Everybody did well last night.  JJ contributed.  Hines in a reserved dosage was decent (despite two horrible giveaways).  Ford pulled all the right moves and there was no foul trouble because you don't foul jump shooters.

Very proud of last night’s Billiken effort.

Every time Richmond made a run, we answered.  Every time it looked like the Spiders were looking to compress our lead in the last few minutes, we denied them and continued to play with tenacity.

Great win. Keep rollin’, Bills.

11 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I had an event tonight, too, left it early as I had set the dvr and watched the game, wow, great win, for those saying COY for TFord, AMEN, great point by the announcers saying this was not the style of play TFord wanted to play but as he lost players he adjusted how we play, well done, HF must like playing the Spiders and with his passing and Gordon's passing (which might be his best asset) and DJF, our interior next season could be very, very nice -- just a very nice win for the team, I hope they celebrate responsibly and kick the crap out of SVU 

I agree about the passing of the bigs.  HF has made some beautiful passes to Foreman the last few games.

Even more than the anticipated passing of the 4/5s next year is the potential for an unreal rebounding team.  HF/DJF/CAG/JG/JB and Fred T should dominate the boards in every game next year.

21 minutes ago, bauman said:

I agree about the passing of the bigs.  HF has made some beautiful passes to Foreman the last few games.

Even more than the anticipated passing of the 4/5s next year is the potential for an unreal rebounding team.  HF/DJF/CAG/JG/JB and Fred T should dominate the boards in every game next year.

Today we are tied with Kentucky for 43rd in Rebound Margin, at 5.1.  North Carolina leads the nation at 11.7 followed by Wichita State at 10.7.  We lead the A10 by a wide margin over Duquesne, coming in at 2.3.  All of these stats are full year.

Rebound margin is of course grabbing more boards than your opponent.  This season our bigs are doing a very good job of blocking out their man, allowing a smaller teammate to scoot in for the board.  Anthony and Foreman have been very good at this.  Watch how they work as a team particularly on FT rebounds.  They drive their man out, allowing Goodwin or whichever guard is in the third spot on the lane, to come in and grab the board.  That's pretty good unselfish teamwork if you ask me.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

yep. This team would flourish in the pre 3 point era

6 minutes ago, almaman said:

yep. This team would flourish in the pre 3 point era

....as it will next year.  Bess, Thatch, Pearson and one or two un-named Spring signees will provide ample 3-pt shooting with the strong frontline we will have.  Add in our top rebounder, assist and steal man from this season and get your Dance tickets for next year!

almaman likes this

34 minutes ago, bauman said:

....as it will next year.  Bess, Thatch, Pearson and one or two un-named Spring signees will provide ample 3-pt shooting with the strong frontline we will have.  Add in our top rebounder, assist and steal man from this season and get your Dance tickets for next year!

Not so fast, we have the same administration returning. 

31 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Not so fast, we have the same administration returning. 

good point, as far as we know, pesty, krafty our BOT and most importantly, stormy will still be on our roster next year.   who knows how they will perform.  

20 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Today we are tied with Kentucky for 43rd in Rebound Margin, at 5.1.  North Carolina leads the nation at 11.7 followed by Wichita State at 10.7.  We lead the A10 by a wide margin over Duquesne, coming in at 2.3.  All of these stats are full year.

Rebound margin is of course grabbing more boards than your opponent.  This season our bigs are doing a very good job of blocking out their man, allowing a smaller teammate to scoot in for the board.  Anthony and Foreman have been very good at this.  Watch how they work as a team particularly on FT rebounds.  They drive their man out, allowing Goodwin or whichever guard is in the third spot on the lane, to come in and grab the board.  That's pretty good unselfish teamwork if you ask me.

Here is an amazing stat, SLU is second in the nation in free throw attempts per offensive plays. Now, if we can only start making more.......

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/free-throw-rate

12 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Here is an amazing stat, SLU is second in the nation in free throw attempts per offensive plays. Now, if we can only start making more.......

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/free-throw-rate

That's pretty neat.  Yeah, you would think that they are/should be practicing FT at every break in practice.  French is just not going to get there this year.  It will be a summer project to get his stroke to where he is above 50%.  Foreman seems to have turned the corner, but Bess had a hiccup last game.  Team is shooting 66% for the year, which isn't all that great.

Johnson needs to be on the floor during all of these 'hack a shaq' time frames.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

That's pretty neat.  Yeah, you would think that they are/should be practicing FT at every break in practice.  French is just not going to get there this year.  It will be a summer project to get his stroke to where he is above 50%.  Foreman seems to have turned the corner, but Bess had a hiccup last game.  Team is shooting 66% for the year, which isn't all that great.

Johnson needs to be on the floor during all of these 'hack a shaq' time frames.

I think as @3star_recruit said (you still out there??) SLU isn't a good shooting team, so they aren't going to be a good free throw shooting team. 

On 2/18/2018 at 8:08 AM, tarheelbilliken said:

Was out all day yesterday and just caught the game off the DVR.

That was the best managed game I seen the Bills play in a long time. Talk about playing to our strengths and to Richmond weaknesses. Being able to adapt to a very short bench and no Goodwin. Everyone I thought played well and kept to game plan, including Hines. I give a big congrats to TF for game preparation.

BTW: Bess better be A10 Player of the Week.

Last year, prepared Ford to play games like this.