Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

26 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

I watched the presser too.  Ford seemed off almost in a state of shock at the time. If he heard the question correctly from Ortiz, then his answer was a dodge, or an outright statement, “I am not going to filet open my mind and let you see what I think”.  Frankly rightfully so.  There is a time and place for introspection by Ford, and he gets to decide when and how much.  

Ford was an absolute open book during that press conference, he could have stopped questions at any time. It’s clear he would have stood there all day fielding questions if the reporters woulve keeped asking questions. 

slu2016 likes this

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a gold standard, or are they panning for gold and trying to convince people that their fool's gold is something of value?  One night in September some young female SLU student took some second-hand information and tweeted it as fact, naming four SLU men's basketball players as being among six perpetrators of sexual assault, even though nothing so heinous had occurred.  The school (erp, I mean "scool") launched a Title 9 investigation, contracting with a a third-party law firm to conduct the investigation.

I don't know what was in the report the investigators filed, but thus far the St. Louis Metropolitan Police and prosecutor have not deemed it feasible to arrest anyone, let alone file any chargers, and the attorney for three of the players insist the players did nothing wrong and the whole thing was a case of "buyer's remorse" by one of the women after a consensual occasion of sexual activity planned in advance, and two of the young women did not cooperate with the school's "prosecution" of the players.

Then the hearing officer took about three weeks (correct me if I'm wrong) to review the investigative report before coming back with a preposterously harsh ruling.  She knew the young men will never face any criminal liability, because no one but herself would consider their actions deserving of punishment, so she anointed herself judge, jury, and jailer and pronounced a judgement that it would be too embarrassing for the school to expunge completely after an appeal.  Then, after a appeals process that took twice as long as it should have, the fallout is that everyone who someone close to the accuser named (by hearsay) had received some form of discipline, including Goodwin, who'd been playing all season (I neglected to mention in my recap that three players received interim suspensions during the "Title 9" process), even though no accuser even mentioned him, according to Mr. Goodwin.  The "process of elimination" that Mr. Goodwin mentioned must go back to that original tweet.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I don't think he has a source. I think he's sloppy with details and doesn't really care about the difference between "As part of a Title IX process, he was found guilty of breaking school rules" and "He was accused of sexual assault as part of the Title IX Investigation." Furthermore, if you are of his mindset and believe SLU lowered the punishment on Goodwin because he was the star player, you likely believe that any punishment that was originally 1.5 or 2 years had to have been for sexual assault. It clearly has never occurred to him that all of the punishments levied by Weathers and Co. are extreme and unfair given the actual circumstances of this incident. 

First thing, Title IX investigations cover many things outside of sexual assault.  Ortiz is claiming in his column and his other statements that Jordan was specifically accused of sexual assault. 

Second, Goodwin wasn't accused of sexual assault as part of the investigation according to what Mr. Goodwin said.  According to Mr. Goodwin, the only time Jordan was ever associated with sexual assault was in Weathers ruling when she found him guilty of it.  The only people who would have known that prior to Mr. Goodwin being interviewed on Chanel 5 would have been the people who received and wrote Jordan Goodwin's ruling.  That would be Jordan/his family, Jordan's legal team, Weathers who wrote it, the Title IX office, the appeals panel and the cheerleader.  According to Mr. Goodwin, the cheerleader never accused him.  

Many people have notified multiple people at the Post about both the Title IX violation claim and the Goodwin being accused of sexual assault claim as not being accurate in Ortiz's original column.  Those were both statements of fact in Ortiz's column and not opinion.  The Post has corrected the the Title IX violation statement, but have chosen not to correct the statement that Jordan was one of the players accused of sexual assault.  They have to have a source claiming Jordan was accused of sexual assault or viewed a report that says that Jordan was accused of sexual assault.

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

First thing, Title IX investigations cover many things outside of sexual assault.  Ortiz is claiming in his column and his other statements that Jordan was specifically accused of sexual assault. 

Second, Goodwin wasn't accused of sexual assault as part of the investigation according to what Mr. Goodwin said.  According to Mr. Goodwin, the only time Jordan was ever associated with sexual assault was in Weathers ruling when she found him guilty of it.  The only people who would have known that prior to Mr. Goodwin being interviewed on Chanel 5 would have been the people who received and wrote Jordan Goodwin's ruling.  That would be Jordan/his family, Jordan's legal team, Weathers who wrote it, the Title IX office, the appeals panel and the cheerleader.  According to Mr. Goodwin, the cheerleader never accused him.  

Many people have notified multiple people at the Post about both the Title IX violation claim and the Goodwin being accused of sexual assault claim as not being accurate in Ortiz's original column.  Those were both statements of fact in Ortiz's column and not opinion.  The Post has corrected the the Title IX violation statement, but have chosen not to correct the statement that Jordan was one of the players accused of sexual assault.  They have to have a source claiming Jordan was accused of sexual assault or viewed a report that says that Jordan was accused of sexual assault.

Or they could just be wrong and not really care.  Would it be the first time?  The publication is a far cry from what it used to be, and it basically has a monopoly on the daily news market.  (I always liked the Globe-Democrat better.)

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Ford was an absolute open book during that press conference, he could have stopped questions at any time. It’s clear he would have stood there all day fielding questions if the reporters woulve keeped asking questions. 

While Ford stood there and responded to all of the questions, he wasn't specifically addressing the questions asked. He certainly did not help himself out. It was one of those press conferences where I thought someone within the athletic department should have met with him before going out to ensure he was in a good place, he just looked out of it and at one point Frank even kind of bailed him out. I heard Frank on his show after the fact question what Ford was doing in the press conference (you could tell Frank was trying to tee up some easy ones for him to hammer, but he didn't). It was uncomfortable to watch, but I assumed it was largely because Ford wasn't sure what exactly he could and could not comment on, regardless it was awkward and you could tell the reporters weren't getting what they wanted so they just kind of stopped asking questions. Overall it doesn't matter, but he didn't give much to kind of calm the storm that Ortiz was clearly going to bring although I doubt it would have mattered.

slufan13 likes this

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

I don't think he has a source. I think he's sloppy with details and doesn't really care about the difference between "As part of a Title IX process, he was found guilty of breaking school rules" and "He was accused of sexual assault as part of the Title IX Investigation." Furthermore, if you are of his mindset and believe SLU lowered the punishment on Goodwin because he was the star player, you likely believe that any punishment that was originally 1.5 or 2 years had to have been for sexual assault. It clearly has never occurred to him that all of the punishments levied by Weathers and Co. are extreme and unfair given the actual circumstances of this incident. 

Part of me thinks Ortiz is just not very intelligent. I truly don't understand how he has a job. It is fun watching him in these press conferences though, his questions are just so terrible. Watching the individual being interviewed listen to and then respond to his questions is gold, the MLS press conference comes to mind and then the Ford press conference would be another, but Ford wasn't in position to go at him so to say.

59 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Part of me thinks Ortiz is just not very intelligent. I truly don't understand how he has a job. It is fun watching him in these press conferences though, his questions are just so terrible. Watching the individual being interviewed listen to and then respond to his questions is gold, the MLS press conference comes to mind and then the Ford press conference would be another, but Ford wasn't in position to go at him so to say.

I wish Ford would have responded differently to Ortiz stating that Ford has brought in three players who have been accused of serious crimes. Something like, "yes, I brought them all on board, they were FALSELY accused and were cleared of any serious crime. these guys are good kids who may have not followed school policy, but these kids are not criminals." That being said, I know he was being vague and avoiding saying anything really about the situation, but I think he could have handled that question differently.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Eh...while he answered every question, he still avoided saying anything of substance 

51 minutes ago, almaman said:

he's hauled away but still governing. our guys never arrested yet have there lives totally destroyed in a way.

Not surprising.

Gardner didn't see anything to gain indicting 4 college athletes. 

She sees political advancement indicting a govenor. 

She's just as crooked as the title 9 bunch. I guess that why she struck a deal with them to keep the case open. Birds of a feather.

HenryB, TRN, brianstl and 1 other like this

43 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Our guys weren't charged because prosecutor couldn't prove photos were without consent. Women we're aware of photos being taken and didn't object.

Plus, I'm pretty sure you forfeit your expectation of privacy when you orchestrate an orgy in the communal area of a college apartment.

Bobby Metzinger likes this

15 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

He didn’t help himself out? Give me (and Coach) a break. He handled the presser fine. It would be nice if anyone helped him out. Imagine that 

When I first watched the presser, I said to myself, who is that goofball trying to stir up crap. I didn't know it was Ortiz, because he is very insignificant.

This line is very revealing that the motivation for the column was to damage SLU recruiting: "If Webster Groves High senior Carte’Are Gordon shies away from SLU because of the recent Title IX punishments, SLU officials should not fret." 

Why in the hell throw Gordon into this? Ford made a splash by landing high profile locals like Goodwin and Gordon and disrupting the perceived natural order of area recruiting- where it is assumed these type of players will pick a P5 school. Illinois is still bitter that Goodwin chose SLU and Gordon decommitting has long been a wet dream of Mizzou fans. Ford will continue to go up against these two schools in recruiting - Pinson and now Jacobs. No doubt those schools are rooting for S2 to blow up the program that Ford is building. Ortiz was the perfect, unsuspecting tool to do their dirty work and run a smear column against Ford. 

majerus mojo likes this

54 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Haven't seen this mentioned but I found it sadly ironic. Jose commenting on the latest spumac brouhaha:

"Words matter, and the University of Missouri athletics director chose his poorly blah blah blah"

I love that he is attacking for having the nerve to stick up for his players during Black History Month.  I guess he thought Sterk should have just kept his mouth shut in response to the players being called the N word.

On February 22, 2018 at 9:07 AM, Billboy1 said:

You my friend are a tool.  Whoever struck the match is responsible for the fire that ensues.

Another one who is exonerating the players of any blame or culpability.

Obviously no one taught the players the difference between right and wrong.

Can the players not think for themselves?

Again, are these the type of people you want representing Billikens Basketball?

No one has answered that question. Why is that?

So I’m being inducted into a Jesuit honor society tomorrow/today, February 25, and pestello is handing me my certificate. I just want know what I should tell him when I get it! Free the three? Free Goodwin? Where is Jermaine? Let me know what you think!!!

16 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

So I’m being inducted into a Jesuit honor society tomorrow/today, February 25, and pestello is handing me my certificate. I just want know what I should tell him when I get it! Free the three? Free Goodwin? Where is Jermaine? Let me know what you think!!!

One word: “Tool”

3 hours ago, MattyMo213 said:

I used to work with this ex-con who did a lot of bad stuff back in Detroit. He told me this story about how he got stabbed in a drug deal and almost died. Years later he found himself in the backseat of a car, smoking crack, with the person that stabbed him. The person was so strung out that he had no idea he was sitting next to a man he nearly killed. My co-worker says the thought crossed his mind that he could kill this man right then and there and nobody would ever know..... but then he said to himself, "nah man.... hes already dead".... and he just let it go...... My advice MattyMo..... just let it go