Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

His thinking is just so strange.

Baylor, Penn State, Michigan State - Covered up accusations of sexual assault for years to protect players and coaches accused of these acts, with the knowledge and participation of athletic directors, their staffs, all the way up to university presidents and administration.

SLU - Functionally expelled four players accused of sexual assault in a single incident despite an investigation that was inconclusive. Lessened the punishment for one player to one semester while the three others have all since departed.

Therefore, SLU is the same as Baylor, Penn State, and Michigan State.

Makes perfect sense.

This is a guy who wrote a puff piece on a Cardinal who covered up systemic child rape for years because the Cardinal was polite to his family one time. He's deranged.

I also don't get why he keeps bringing up the fact that Ford recruited three of these guys, and questioning his vetting process. What does that even mean? Does he think we're offering players with criminal records? Does he think their high school transcripts say "2.9 GPA, also a bunch of rapes"? Does he think Ford and his staff would be taking a chance on guys if they actually did find a record of sexual assault? How does he think this process works?

Yea I don't get the Ford part either.  I didn't follow him closely but has he ever had a previous player suspended for something like this or anything bad?  He's been coaching for 20 years.  Surely that would be something to mention so he can actually backup saying Ford needs to do a better job vetting players.  

7 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Yea I don't get the Ford part either.  I didn't follow him closely but has he ever had a previous player suspended for something like this or anything bad?  He's been coaching for 20 years.  Surely that would be something to mention so he can actually backup saying Ford needs to do a better job vetting players.  

Also, Ortiz wrote a glowing article about Goodwin just weeks before his hit job.

None of the players previously had any sort of academic, criminal, or other types of issues. It’s not like Ortiz can even say “Ford risked it all on a high risk kid” and it blew up in his face. This isn’t even like Minnesota/Reggie Lynch. 

slu2016 likes this

10 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Marcus Smart’s altercation with with a fan? 

Ortiz is a clown. Lecturing someone on using the term cancer because cancer is something that tears families apart! 

Also, this one time a guy who covered up massive amounts of child rape for decades was nice to my  family so he's a pretty good guy overall. 

13 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

The other factor is that college basketball coaches are primarily recruiting minors. Even if they had records, they would be sealed. It's exceedingly rare for any of these players to have anything concrete that a coach could look at and go "We can't take a chance here", so they rely upon observation, discussions with coaches, meetings with parents, etc.

Ford did have a player accused of assault at OSU, and he was criticized for not saying enough publicly or dealing with it quickly enough. He also testified in front of an actual jury that he thought the player, Darrell Williams, was innocent. Williams was convicted of rape, sentenced to prison, and later exonerated by the Innocence Project. His story is incredible.

The major difference here is that it actually went to court and wasn't just done by the school. But Ford still took a lot of heat for standing up for this guy, and it looks like he wasn't in the wrong to do so.

(Side note: The Innocence Project does some amazing work. When my wife was at UC Law, the Ohio IP, with the help of UC Law grads and students, helped exonerate a guy who'd been in prison for almost 20 years for a crime he didn't commit, so it was pretty exciting to see.)

slu2016 likes this

Just now, Pistol said:

The other factor is that college basketball coaches are primarily recruiting minors. Even if they had records, they would be sealed. It's exceedingly rare for any of these players to have anything concrete that a coach could look at and go "We can't take a chance here", so they rely upon observation, discussions with coaches, meetings with parents, etc.

Ford did have a player accused of assault at OSU, and he was criticized for not saying enough publicly or dealing with it quickly enough. He also testified in front of an actual jury that he thought the player, Darrell Williams, was innocent. Williams was convicted of rape, sentenced to prison, and later exonerated by the Innocence Project. His story is incredible.

The major difference here is that it actually went to court and wasn't just done by the school. But Ford still took a lot of heat for standing up for this guy, and it looks like he wasn't in the wrong to do so.

(Side note: The Innocence Project does some amazing work. When my wife was at UC Law, the Ohio IP helped exonerate a guy who'd been in prison for almost 20 years for a crime he didn't commit with the help of a lot of UC Law people, so it was pretty exciting to see.)

Wow. I did not know that about Ford. Dude stuck to his guns and was right. 

he wouldnt even post or answer my thoughts.   and i pretty much said the same things as the other two.   plus told him he really should apologize.   i also asked if he was so sure goodwin was investigated for title IX transgressions he must have read and has a copy of the final report to be so sure of himself.   like i said noting.  and that was at least a half an hour ago.  this guy is pure scum.   i cant believe the post employs him.  

-wow, reading the responses Ortiz offered makes him look even worse in my eyes, if he is just click bait, why not pick on a bigger population than SLU fans? other than clueless, what else is he? Bob Broeg must be looking down with disgust at his sports section

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-wow, reading the responses Ortiz offered makes him look even worse in my eyes, if he is just click bait, why not pick on a bigger population than SLU fans? other than clueless, what else is he? Bob Broeg must be looking down with disgust at his sports section

Yea his response that I posted above basically was "I felt I needed to write a story to get clicks.  I don't have facts on what happened so I made up my own conclusions and since not a ton of people followed this that closely, it will seem reasonable to them that I am taking a stand against sexual assault."

That is probably why he picked SLU for this.  If this was Mizzou, you would've had Gabe DeArmond tweeting about how his facts are off and a ton of other people that cover and write about Mizzou saying how off base he is.  Who is going to call him on a SLU article, either a colleague or nobody.  With no Burwell or Strauss at the post, the answer will be nobody.  Gabe even said he thought it was reasonable article until he realized he didn't actually have any facts to properly judge it so took it back.  

2 hours ago, Billboy1 said:

Ford should give him no access to practices

Ortiz won't show up to a practice again until March 2019 at the earliest.

He did his hit piece and he won't talk about them again. If they make a tourney run he will be right there to suck off Ford and Goodwin. 

I hope this guy gets hit by a truck that's on fire and carring raw sewage. 

Billiken Rich likes this

21 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Ortiz won't show up to a practice again until March 2019 at the earliest.

He did his hit piece and he won't talk about them again. If they make a tourney run he will be right there to suck off Ford and Goodwin. 

I hope this guy gets hit by a truck that's on fire and carrying raw sewage. 

[Note that I'm saying this as a poster, not a moderator (otherwise I'd take action).]  The last two sentences of your post are low-class.

32 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

[Note that I'm saying this as a poster, not a moderator (otherwise I'd take action).]  The last two sentences of your post are low-class.

Low class was Ortiz saying again today that Goodwin was one of the players originally accused of sexual assault.