GDT: SLU versus Duquesne

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few thoughts:

Other than points, I wasn’t tracking Goodwin’s stats. That’s one heck of a stat line, and he only a freshman!

Props to the fine Americans yelling at Pestello during free throws. Double props to the fine Americans in the student section with the dry erase board with Free the 3 on it, especially when they got it in the big screen.

Great game by Foreman. He’s done well lately.

Watched the game on the A-10 feed -- it was free AND they had Rammer and Earl on the audio. Double bonus.

Very impressed with what I saw. Yes, this is a lower quality opponent ... but still: we did a lot of things that looked good. Hopefully we can build some momentum.

Go Bills!

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Terrible, looks about 4500

Much worse. The announced “official” attendance was 5,227. The building was about 20% full. Perhaps 2,000.

It’s bad when you lose casual fans. But how sad and embarrassing that likely 50% of your season ticket holders stayed home. 

I’ll say this: those there got pretty loud in spots and the student section was outstanding, particularly celebrating Roby’s 1000 career points.

In a season where everything has gone wrong because of S2, tonight was an entertaining game with lots of positives:

1) Roby's 1000th career point. You really feel for the kid. He committed to a Top 10 program only to watch it burn in flames. Then in his final season he thought he had a chance at the tournament only to have that derailed by SLU's incompetent administration. He continues to leave it all on the floor, though, so this was a cool moment.

2) JGood's Triple-Double. It's amazing this has never happened in SLU history. After being denied last game, he was determined to get it tonight. He is going to be an animal (and in a lot of ways, he already is).

3) Team Defense. We haven't worked together as a unit on defense like that for years. It was nice to see. Let's now put two defensive efforts together in a row.

4) DJ Foreman. The kid is fun to watch when healthy.

5) Red Panda. She is a real national treasure. I've heard rumors that her skills are slipping, but the woman never fails to amaze when she rolls into Chaifetz.

Now back to the task at hand. #FreeThe3 #FireFred #CanKratky

1 minute ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Looking at the boxscore I see Foreman, and Anthony played a lot more than usual and Johnson, French, and Hines’ minutes were all way down. What did I miss? 9 minutes for Johnson, was he hurt. Obviously French was in foul trouble. Hines efficient?

Hines has been benched for the last 3 games.  Goodwin played all 40 tonight and Roby is also bringing up the ball.  Hines playing less than 10 minutes is the best Hines.

Foreman has earned the starting spot and is finally healthy.  Johnson has been slumping a bit and will be coming off the bench for now.  

French was in foul trouble and Anthony had a good matchup and played well.

MVP of the game was the red panda acrobat. Its worth showing up just to see that act. Seriously. Im shocked she still does it after so long.

Jordan Goodwin is a real ball player. His shot is starting to show at least mediocrity. He's obviously been working on it. He has a real will to get assists and make plays happen. Give him time and a real point guard (TY GRAVES) to work with. He will be part of an excellent and aggressive backcourt.

Fire fred pestello. The administration is a joke.

7 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Hines has been benched for the last 3 games.  Goodwin played all 40 tonight and Roby is also bringing up the ball.  Hines playing less than 10 minutes is the best Hines.

Foreman has earned the starting spot and is finally healthy.  Johnson has been slumping a bit and will be coming off the bench for now.  

French was in foul trouble and Anthony had a good matchup and played well.

But only 9 minutes for Johnson, ouch. Never thought Anthony would double up JJ for minutes in a game, a win no less. And yeah, too bad Foreman hasn’t been healthy all year, the season would be different. He was as highly regarded as Bess, and AD transferring in.

8 hours ago, Westy03 said:

Guy in 108/208 was abusing pestello bad 

I'm in 208 I was yelling free the 3 on the Dukes free throws I heard others yelling it during SLU's free throws we need to coordinate.  Sorry if this is a dumb question but can Coach Ford, the players and Freddy hear the people yelling it I hope the answer is yes.

imo the duquesne bigs, who were very similar in size and skills of anthony made it a good fit to play anthony instead of johnson.    

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I'm in 208 I was yelling free the 3 on the Dukes free throws I heard others yelling it during SLU's free throws we need to coordinate.  Sorry if this is a dumb question but can Coach Ford, the players and Freddy hear the people yelling it I hope the answer is yes.

I sit on the other end (107) and Fred is on the floor a about a 1/4 of the way from the basket.  I never heard anyone yelling at him except from our area so I doubt Fred heard the guy you are talking about.  At the end Fred got up and went and stood at the locker room end entrance so then I imagine your guy could have been lighting him up then.  Fred left from that area because he gets heckled when he leaves from the DeLorinzo exit.   The crowd while only about 5500 was very loud tonight - even Rammer mentioned it on the post game show.  The band does a great job but they play at every break and make it hard for hecklers to heckle Fred.  One other thing - Fred will be gone for one reason and one reason only, financial.  If donations do not pick up and enrollment sags then his goose is cooked.  S2 will not get him fired alone but the fallout just might.

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Johnson had about 4 wide open chances for 3 and passed them all up, the worst part is all but one of those ended up being a basket.

He only played 9 minutes. Even if it wasn't an ideal matchup for him, Ford seemed frustrated that he wasn't taking good looks. He was just off his game last night.

8 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Looking at the boxscore I see Foreman, and Anthony played a lot more than usual and Johnson, French, and Hines’ minutes were all way down. What did I miss? 9 minutes for Johnson, was he hurt. Obviously French was in foul trouble. Hines efficient?

You didn’t watch or listen? Surprising coming from such a big Billikens fan

billikenfan05 and CBFan like this

I like the lineup adjustment the coach made last night with DJ starting over JJ and limited minutes for Hines.

DJ is a better defender than JJ and currently DJ is scoring more than JJ.

In limited minutes Hines had an efficient game and I am glad he is on the team and another thing I liked about last night is that Hines made the wild drive and shot and coach Ford sat him back on the bench.

It was so much fun watching this team push the ball and attack the basket my other half and I had so much fun watching transition basketball with a finish at the end.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

I like the lineup adjustment the coach made last night with DJ starting over JJ and limited minutes for Hines.

DJ is a better defender than JJ and currently DJ is scoring more than JJ.

In limited minutes Hines had an efficient game and I am glad he is on the team and another thing I liked about last night is that Hines made the wild drive and shot and coach Ford sat him back on the bench.

It was so much fun watching this team push the ball and attack the basket my other half and I had so much fun watching transition basketball with a finish at the end.

DJ Foreman is quickly becoming my favorite Billiken. I don't care what anyone says, that guy is ELECTRIC. I stand up every time he gets the ball.

HenryB likes this

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

More minutes for DJ also makes sense because French has struggled a bit lately. Even if DJ isn't taking French's minutes, he's still taking French's role of an interior scorer. 

If DJ is going to draw the other teams best post defender, that will open up more opportunities for French as well.

Zink likes this