• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

If Mack to Charleston is true, I have to assume that we could have gotten him.  I'm sold on Schertz despite my initial concerns about having no big wins.  However, I have to think that years down the road, we will all look back at this hire as a choice between Schertz, Mack, and Ahearn.  This board's choice was clearly Schertz.

My read on Mack is that he has realized that he’s likely made enough money to never have to work again, so he was likely placing a premium on location for his next job. If he didn’t find a job he liked, he could just do TV stuff if he wanted to. 
All in all, while you’d like to think that we could convince him with money to come here, if St. Louis didn’t pass some other criteria, we might not have had a chance.

Mack was my 1st choice, then Schertz. Only thing was I never thought we would land Mack. Too pricey.

Probably figured with his pay-off from Louisville (why they went cheap on Kelsey), I don't need some huge salary in some pressure cooker.

Obviously, Mack selected lifestyle.

Happy with Schertz, think he will be fantastic coach for us.

BTW, Ahearn, never on my list, would have been insane.

AMDG-Unit and TheChosenOne like this

If he is choosing Charleston, I have to think we could have brought him here.  Charleston is probably going to be paying him a lot less than we are going to pay Schertz.

Chareleston is a nice place to live. Beaches, historical district, and top drawer restaurants. Kelsey and Grant success drove fans into complete sellouts. Granted their arena has been upgraded but still holds only 4.5k. I’ve heard thru the grapevine the deal is done. CofC got some buyout $$$’s from UL, $1 to $1.5mm. And that Mack would make $1.5 mm. Also, rumor is that Mack told CofC to start a process to get into the A10. CofC fans are really excited over that. So am I, as I have a friend who holds 4 season tickets to the Cougars. 

36 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

I just think he's doing it to f**** with SLU. From the old days he never liked SLU.

I vaguely remember several toxic issues with him during the Grawer tenure.     I remember him going on Mike Bush's Sunday show with one of his ex-players airing out some grievances.   I'm glad I have mostly forgotten that crap.   

If he is choosing Charleston, I have to think we could have brought him here.  Charleston is probably going to be paying him a lot less than we are going to pay Schertz.

SLU supposedly hired a search firm to do the initial list building and to make the first feelers to the names.  They may have asked Mack and he said that he was not interested since he thought he could get a P5.  When that didn't happen for whatever the reason he then was open to non P5 job but with our MoU we had moved on.  C of C was the chair he ended up on when the music stopped.  

55 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

I just think he's doing it to f**** with SLU. From the old days he never liked SLU.

If I had to guess it would be that Tony Irons wants to make the jump to college coaching and that would be much more likely with Blake Ahearn at SLU.  Rumor was he put his name out there for an assistant gig when Lindenwood went D1.  Not like he has much left to prove at the HS level w/ their 5th consecutive state title last month.  

36 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

I vaguely remember several toxic issues with him during the Grawer tenure.     I remember him going on Mike Bush's Sunday show with one of his ex-players airing out some grievances.   I'm glad I have mostly forgotten that crap.   

Okie, this is going back, it was in the Romer days.

I think it involved Jimmy McKinney (the father) and it was one other player. McKinney ended up playing for Quin Snyder at SPUMAC. He really toyed with us over that one. One other player, just can't remember. 

Ace or Torch, help me out here?

SLU reached out to Chris Mack and we were rebuffed.  Vanderbilt was also told no.  Mack wants a low pressure gig where he can win.  He wasn't looking for a high major team or a team that wants to be high major.

Floyd and Tony despise SLU.  It would be a shame if we missed out on a lot of players that come out of the V except none really do.  Irons prepares his teams to win at the HS level.  Once they leave Vashon they all flame out.  Any present and future SLU coaches should just stay away.

Floyd went on several local media campaigns.  After Melvin left SLU he did an interview with Irons on Sports Plus explaining his side of the story, assault charges, taking cash to play, etc etc.  The one with McKinney's father was with the player Romar recruited that was ineligible, that Irons convinced to play on his semi pro team instead of sitting out a year and playing in college and then got shot shortly thereafter ending his career.  There was also a big media campaign to get Joel Shelton to get an offer from SLU, if you get a second read up on Shelton fascinating story.  It eats at Floyd and Tony that Bonner is the best player to come out of Vashon and the credit for his development, rightfully so, goes to Grawer.  In the 40 years since with all their great teams they haven't produced a player even close to him.

7 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Floyd and Tony despise SLU.  It would be a shame if we missed out on a lot of players that come out of the V except none really do.  Irons prepares his teams to win at the HS level.  Once they leave Vashon they all flame out.  Any present and future SLU coaches should just stay away.

Keshon Gilbert averaged 13.7 for Iowa Stste this year.  I wouldn’t call that a flame out.

cheeseman likes this

21 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Keshon Gilbert averaged 13.7 for Iowa State this year.  I wouldn’t call that a flame out.

He was the leading scorer on the Cyclones who won the Big 12.  I believe he transferred in from UNLV, was solid there also as their second leading scorer his sophomore year. 

Someone called him a flame out?  Really?

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

SLU reached out to Chris Mack and we were rebuffed.  Vanderbilt was also told no.  Mack wants a low pressure gig where he can win.  He wasn't looking for a high major team or a team that wants to be high major.

Floyd went on several local media campaigns.  After Melvin left SLU he did an interview with Irons on Sports Plus explaining his side of the story, assault charges, taking cash to play, etc etc.  The one with McKinney's father was with the player Romar recruited that was ineligible, that Irons convinced to play on his semi pro team instead of sitting out a year and playing in college and then got shot shortly thereafter ending his career.  There was also a big media campaign to get Joel Shelton to get an offer from SLU, if you get a second read up on Shelton fascinating story.  It eats at Floyd and Tony that Bonner is the best player to come out of Vashon and the credit for his development, rightfully so, goes to Grawer.  In the 40 years since with all their great teams they haven't produced a player even close to him.

That was Nick Kern (senior), right?

Keshon Gilbert averaged 13.7 for Iowa Stste this year.  I wouldn’t call that a flame out.

Transferred in. Only went to Vashon 1 year. Not a real product of the program. Keep reaching. Actually going to Vashon hurt his rankings nationwide and decreased his offers.

99% of the players Vashon has produced this century end up in low level d-1 or d-2. High profile guys all have multiple transfers and underachieved.

AGB91 likes this

38 minutes ago, kshoe said:

That was Nick Kern (senior), right?

Yes. Shameful what Irons did to him.

This is what happens when you let felons run public schools.

Irons for years would let kids go to school without uniforms if they paid him a dollar. He'd stand outside and collect the money every day. Told auditors this money went to the district. District had no record of receiving any of it. Floyd is a real life Clay Davis.

Floyd, his sons, and Mike Knoll, were all wannabe gangsters who came up with a crooked mortgage scheme to rip off a couple guys from Town & Country. Knoll, a career criminal who used his nefarious earnings to bankroll Irons AAU program and multiple other scams, was also a longtime fed snitch along with Irons. They would rat on criminals so they could expand their own criminal enterprises. Floyd tried to snitch on his partners, lucky the judge didn't buy it. Still the FBI helped cut Irons possible prison time by more than half. Nothings changed since then. The Irons family is still involved in gangs and criminal enterprises while snitching to Feds and local cops. 

These are the guys shaping young men in St. Louis.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Irons for years would let kids go to school without uniforms if they paid him a dollar. He'd stand outside and collect the money every day. Told auditors this money went to the district. District had no record of receiving any of it. Floyd is a real life Clay Davis.

Floyd, his sons, and Mike Knoll, were all wannabe gangsters who came up with a crooked mortgage scheme to rip off a couple guys from Town & Country. Knoll, a career criminal who used his nefarious earnings to bankroll Irons AAU program and multiple other scams, was also a longtime fed snitch along with Irons. They would rat on criminals so they could expand their own criminal enterprises. Floyd tried to snitch on his partners, lucky the judge didn't buy it. Still the FBI helped cut Irons possible prison time by more than half. Nothings changed since then. The Irons family is still involved in gangs and criminal enterprises while snitching to Feds and local cops. 

Wow, he’s more toxic than I thought.  

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

Tony and Floyd Irons are not going to to tell kids not to come to SLU because Blake didn't get the job.  The best thing for Tony's future is that as many of his players as possible move on to the best situations as possible after Vashon. He isn't going to work to stop that from happening if that situation happens to be SLU for some of his kids. 

Exactly 

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

He’s our little own Avon Barksdale. 

dlarry likes this

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

They certainly live a modest lifestyle considering they are crime kingpins.  I don't think the average De Smet graduate would trade places with them.

almaman likes this

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

This is what happens when you let criminals run anything.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

They certainly live a modest lifestyle considering they are crime kingpins.  I don't think the average De Smet graduate would trade places with them.

Didn't say they were successful at it. Usually criminals who maintain ties to law enforcement do so because they've been caught multiple times. 

Typical of St. Louis to continually defend criminals in our community. Don't particularly care how they live. Irons is a convicted felon who recieved favorable treatment in his jail sentence, his best friends and business associates are criminals, he has admitted to cheating in gaining admittance for players to go to his school, paying for housing, forging documents, he's admitted to skimming off the top in the school district that employed him for 40 years, stealing thousands or more. The same corrupt school district employs his son in the same job he had, a son who was involved in the fathers criminal enterprises. This isn't hyperbole, this info is from court documents. I guess its all ok because his teams win games. 

44 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Didn't say they were successful at it. Usually criminals who maintain ties to law enforcement do so because they've been caught multiple times. 

Typical of St. Louis to continually defend criminals in our community. Don't particularly care how they live. Irons is a convicted felon who recieved favorable treatment in his jail sentence, his best friends and business associates are criminals, he has admitted to cheating in gaining admittance for players to go to his school, paying for housing, forging documents, he's admitted to skimming off the top in the school district that employed him for 40 years, stealing thousands or more. The same corrupt school district employs his son in the same job he had, a son who was involved in the fathers criminal enterprises. This isn't hyperbole, this info is from court documents. I guess its all ok because his teams win games. 

So he's a lifelong criminal for basically doing what blue blood college basketball programs have done for decades but at a much smaller scale.  And he's a criminal to this day at 75 years old but he has a sweetheart deal with the Feds to keep him out jail.  Got it.

almaman and VeniceMenace like this

13 hours ago, thetorch said:

Mike Knoll's son was in my grade at CBC. Great guy (still is) and great basketball player. In fact, our varsity squad my junior and senior years were really good. Knoll, Jeremy Jones, Larry Jones, Tamar Maclin (played at MO St.), and Ryan Woods (Played football at Michigan State). Didn't have any issues getting past Pistol and TheChosenOne's David Lee-led Chaminade squad 😁 but Jimmy McKinney's Vashon squad was a different story. Bill Harris did everything he could to get D Lee to join our stacked squad at CBC but he decided to go to Chaminade instead. What a shame, he could've ended up having a great pro career....

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Typical of St. Louis to continually defend criminals in our community. Don't particularly care how they live. Irons is a convicted felon who recieved favorable treatment in his jail sentence, his best friends and business associates are criminals, he has admitted to cheating in gaining admittance for players to go to his school, paying for housing, forging documents, he's admitted to skimming off the top in the school district that employed him for 40 years, stealing thousands or more. The same corrupt school district employs his son in the same job he had, a son who was involved in the father’s criminal enterprises. This isn't hyperbole, this info is from court documents. I guess it’s all ok because his teams win games. 

Iron father or son creams any Crews/Ford team, with equal or lesser college-level talent…

almaman likes this