• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

System coaches need the right personnel to run their system.  That's why Majerus couldn't win here until he had his guys in place.  Schertz runs his offense through the 5.  Not only did we not have a 5 that is a high level shooter and passer, the rest of the team was the worst collection of passers in decades.

VeniceMenace and slu72 like this

Travis’ do nothing no purpose clock eating weave handcuffed guys like TJ and Gibby from fully showing off their skills. TJ, because of his ability to sky, rarely got screens to shake his defender and get more layups and jams. Gibby got virtually no help either from screeners or inside out passes. After 8 years of watching Ford’s offense I still saw no rhyme or reason to it. It’s hard to understand how a guy who likely grew up with a basketball in his hands everyday never grasped the basic X’s and O’s. 

thunderdan and billikenbill like this

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Travis’ do nothing no purpose clock eating weave handcuffed guys like TJ and Gibby from fully showing off their skills. TJ, because of his ability to sky, rarely got screens to shake his defender and get more layups and jams. Gibby got virtually no help either from screeners or inside out passes. After 8 years of watching Ford’s offense I still saw no rhyme or reason to it. It’s hard to understand how a guy who likely grew up with a basketball in his hands everyday never grasped the basic X’s and O’s. 

The fact Ford was never an assistant coach like Moser also contributed to this problem.

Zink, slu72 and David King like this

53 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

System coaches need the right personnel to run their system.  That's why Majerus couldn't win here until he had his guys in place.  Schertz runs his offense through the 5.  Not only did we not have a 5 that is a high level shooter and passer, the rest of the team was the worst collection of passers in decades.

Yea give Schertz a raise already if he would’ve gotten this team to 1st in the A-10

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

Wiz, you are giving, at least the current generation of AI, a power that it plainly does not have. The current AIs have a great deal of capability doing surveillance and marketing guidance towards specific goals determined by the AI company, rather than by the user. I consider them primarily a marketing tool /surveillance tool. 

I really do not think it is a matter of the AI machines becoming smarter than us. I think it is more of a surrender by people of the power of their own thinking, and choosing instead the easy advice provided by the machine. In other word we, the people, are abandoning our ability for original thinking and seeking for solutions to actual problems. and following the advise provided by the machine, We are becoming stupider than the machines, not the other way around. And yes, as long as people follow the advice of the AI they will slowly become dumber than the machine, and will be easier to predict and get them to buy specific products.

Your example of continuing to do the weave every new season hoping to get better results somehow is a prime example of stupidity. This is something that a coaching AI programmed after Ford's coaching would be likely to do because that is what he did. Of course, your computer would find it easier to predict outcomes for a team using this "Ford" AI as long as the team continues doing the weave and hoping for the better every season. As far as an OG AI goes, I do not think such an AI will be programmable to reproduce my thought patterns, although it may copy my writing style. I

The ChatGPT AI is artificial but it is not intelligent or capable of original thought. However, it is effective as a marketing and surveillance tool. 

Ah...OG pooh poohing AI when he (and we) may just be the just the latest iteration of AI.  Kind of like Pacman and Mario Brothers trying to figure out the world.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hopefully CJS turns into the next RM.   Schertz does have 3 advantages over 1st year RM.  First is, he is bringing some of his own players...players who know, understand and have executed his system. Second, their is the portal where he can bring in players that fit his system.  The portal is more valuable when you know exactly what you need as opposed to...this guy seems pretty good. And finally NIL...Again, instead of just throwing money at players...pay just for what you need.

Will things work out this way?  We will know in a few days....tick ...tick ...tick

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

The fact Ford was never an assistant coach like Moser also contributed to this problem.

He should have worked with Pitino for a couple of years before he took the job at Campbell. Pitino is noted for developing players and fitting them to his systems and style of play. Ford would have benefited from his mentorship. Like Rick did under Al and Raymond’s. 

VeniceMenace likes this

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Ah...OG pooh poohing AI when he (and we) may just be the just the latest iteration of AI.  Kind of like Pacman and Mario Brothers trying to figure out the world.

OK I agree from a philosophical point of view. However, it cannot be denied that money is the center and most important thing for a lot of people as well as corporations. To develop ChatGPT to be an excellent surveillance tool and also an excellent marketing tool means a lot of MONEY to Microsoft. Look at it from this point of view, first find what individual people want through surveillance, and then tailor suggestions to provide them what they want. Microsoft will make a bundle. Obtainig some original thinking out of ChatGPT, nope it is not built to do that.

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Hopefully CJS turns into the next RM.   Schertz does have 3 advantages over 1st year RM.  First is, he is bringing some of his own players...players who know, understand and have executed his system. Second, their is the portal where he can bring in players that fit his system.  The portal is more valuable when you know exactly what you need as opposed to...this guy seems pretty good. And finally NIL...Again, instead of just throwing money at players...pay just for what you need.

Will things work out this way?  We will know in a few days....tick ...tick ...tick

Wiz, we were having a discussion about what Schertz would have done with this year's team.  We know how good his current core is.  They're in the NIT final four right now.  

If Schertz brings his top three guys with him, all he would need from the portal is a couple of role players.

The Wiz likes this

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Passing was very bad catching was also very bad and lack of “looking for the ball” was equally bad

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

Yea give Schertz a raise already if he would’ve gotten this team to 1st in the A-10

if rumors are true he is getting almost s $2m raise from his salary this year.

Mack to CoC seems to be a real possibility. One of their alums told me Mack wants a commitment from the school to pursue joining the A10. He doesn’t want to get stuck in the CAA. Man, I’d love to see that and also add Belmont and Wichita St. Two divisions East and Midwest. 

BLIKNS likes this

Well need to keep it no more than 16, so I would like Charleston and Wichita ...

But I think Belmont would also be good.. 

Wichita needs to be convinced they should be in a basketball first (non football )conference 

12 hours ago, slu72 said:

That freakin’ Globetrotter weave frustrated me to no end. I remember mentioning this, two seasons ago, and having another poster tell me that I “didn’t understand the college game.” 😂 

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

Not sure if he has respect here but now Floyd Irons is pumping ahearn on radio shows.    Unsure of the fascination 

This a problem we have here - we tend to eat our young.  It is hard to be successful when you got people in the community looking out for their own situation or want some type of retribution for what you perceive has been a slight to you.  Not sure what kind of influence Irons still has but you can bet he will be telling local players not to come here.