• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/26/2024 at 6:51 AM, Brighton said:

But the latter can use recent success including a Final Four appearance as a trump card.

And one look at the facilities and discussion around NIL can tell a potential coach that it wasn’t the school so much as it was the coach.

12 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Schertz has a recruit coming from Canada (don't know if he comes with him or not tho) that some believe is the best high school recruit this year.  I want that kid!

Excellent post - although I posted that video on Monday! Just kidding. 

If you want to see the complete recruiting class - here it is. He's clearly trying to add size to his current roster.

Merritt Alderink | 6-7 | Forward | Zeeland, Mich. | Zeeland West

Alderink was the 2023 Holland Sentinel Basketball Player of the Year and named as one of the 2023 Division 1 Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan's Best. In the 2023 season, Alderink averaged 19.3 PPG and 7.1 RPG. The forward is in his high school record books, holding the single-game points record with 42.

Coach Schertz spoke about Alderink:

"Merritt is a perfect fit for us both systematically and culturally. He has great size, toughness, physicality, and an extremely high motor that all great competitors possess. He can score the ball in a variety of ways in the halfcourt and brings a toughness and maturity far beyond his years to our program. He's an exceptional student and young man that our fans will love to watch compete."

Robert "Sean" Birmingham | 6-8 | Forward | Njardvik, Iceland | Concord Academy

Birmingham, originally from Iceland, attends Concord Academy out of North Carolina. In 2023 he became a member of the AAU team, Team Curry. In his junior year at Cannon School, the second-ranked prIvate school in the state, Birmingham averaged 14 PPG, 7 RPG, and 2.5 blocks-per-game. He also was named to the CISAA All Conference Team. From 2020-2022, Birmingham was a member of the prestigious basketball academy in Vitoria, Spain – Baskonia.

Coach Schertz spoke about Birmingham:

"Sean is an elite shooter with great size but he's much more than just a shooter. Sean has great feel which allows him to be a playmaker for others, coupled with a high basketball IQ that drives self-awareness allowing him to do what he does best all the time while bringing out the very best in his teammates. Sean is also a fantastic student and as high character and mature a young man as I have recruited. We are thrilled he's a Sycamore!"

Christian Nitu | 6-11 | Forward | Uplay, Canada | Fort Erie International Academy

Nitu comes from our neighbors to the north. Nitu participated in the NBA's Basketball Without Borders Global Camp; the camp has featured current NBA-standouts like
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Joel Embiid. Nitu also competed for Team Canada in the u17 World Cup and was on the Biosteel All-Canadian Team.

Coach Schertz spoke about Nitu:

"Christian is one of the most unique players I have ever seen, his combination of size, skill and mobility is incredibly rare. On top of that he's a ferocious competitor who is obsessed with the game of basketball, so he's a perfect for our Indiana State basketball culture. Christian has a level of versatility on both ends of the floor that will provide us with incredible flexibility as we see him as someone who can play with another big or operate as a standalone big himself. He's a special talent with huge ambitions and a work ethic to match, and I can't wait to partner with him to help him reach his ceiling."

DOC likes this

12 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Schertz has a recruit coming from Canada (don't know if he comes with him or not tho) that some believe is the best high school recruit this year.  I want that kid!

Best high school recruit in Canada, or everywhere?   His offer list according to 247 is definitely pretty impressive.  Surprised his rankings aren’t higher, although I know those can be a crapshoot for international guys. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Now we’re getting to the fun time of the search, every washed up coach will be throwing his hat in.  

At this point Louisville’s AD is going to feel compelled to hire somebody soon.  The natives are getting restless, we know them Kentuckians know ball and need a coach soon. 

9 minutes ago, TRN said:

Now we’re getting to the fun time of the search, every washed up coach will be throwing his hat in.  

At this point Louisville’s AD is going to feel compelled to hire somebody soon.  The natives are getting restless, we know them Kentuckians know ball and need a coach soon. 

I think it’s clear Schertz is UL’s top choice. Schertz has said he’s not announcing anything until ISU’s season ends. The earliest for that would be 04/02. If UL has not made their hire before then, it’s obvious they are awaiting Schertz’s decision. All the other coaches mentioned in their hunt have all seen their seasons end. Therefore, there is no good reason for them to hold off on accepting a career boosting offer. If UL has not made a move before 04/02 then Schertz is likely their target. If ISU goes on to the NIT Final and UL still has not announced then it would be crystal clear Schertz is 100% certainty the man they want. Now whether he’s already accepted their offer is unknown, but the odds are he has if UL makes no move until ISU’s last game. Every day they wait they are losing ground in the portal and delaying the restart of their program. Do you think they are going to gamble losing one of their other top targets on an undecisive Schertz? I don’t. 

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

I think it’s clear Schertz is UL’s top choice. Schertz has said he’s not announcing anything until ISU’s season ends. The earliest for that would be 04/02. If UL has not made their hire before then, it’s obvious they are awaiting Schertz’s decision. All the other coaches mentioned in their hunt have all seen their seasons end. Therefore, there is no good reason for them to hold off on accepting a career boosting offer. If UL has not made a move before 04/02 then Schertz is likely their target. If ISU goes on to the NIT Final and UL still has not announced then it would be crystal clear Schertz is 100% certainty the man they want. Now whether he’s already accepted their offer is unknown, but the odds are he has if UL makes no move until ISU’s last game. Every day they wait they are losing ground in the portal and delaying the restart of their program. Do you think they are going to gamble losing one of their other top targets on an undecisive Schertz? I don’t. 

It doesn’t really matter who their top choice is if they don’t want to spend money for the buyout 🤷‍♂️ sucks to suck for them otherwise 

1 minute ago, laker119 said:

It doesn’t really matter who their top choice is if they don’t want to spend money for the buyout 🤷‍♂️ sucks to suck for them otherwise 

I don’t think $4mm means that much to them. Again, you have to watch the clock here. No move by UL is going to scream we want Schertz! 

19 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

not sure how credible Marxist Maybin is but it's encouraging

I have heard anywhere between 3-6m. So anywhere in there would be a good job by us

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Is $4mm in hand worth a Schertz in a bush? 

Ya cause we should make Schertz buyout pretty high. 

54 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

not sure how credible Marxist Maybin is but it's encouraging

-if true good on whoever came up with this, someone learned something 

-in the next line I will say if UofL wants someone that $4mil won't stop them

50 minutes ago, ACE said:

One thing that is clear... if SLU can bring this over the finish line, Doc. Chaifetz will get the credit... if it unravels at the 11th hour, May will get the blame. 😄

Brings this gem to mind hahaha

ACE likes this

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Can we take down Louisville again?

20220104_220931.jpg

IF/When Schertz is announced as the SLU coach, can we get Marque Perry to make the announcement?  That would be some next level trolling of Louisville.