• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

DeVries would make a lot of sense and i could see people arguing for DeVries, Wade, others instead of Schertz. That would make sense.

The goal here isn't to make sense or to oppose Schertz; it's to oppose SLU basketball as a whole and turn it into a social club with easy access to golf carts; no riff raff in the concourse; and easy talk on AM radio.

That's what this is about. These guys tried to take SLU into D2 with the Ekker disaster. They complained when we hired Rickma. They demanded Jim Crews be retained. Now they complain when Ford gets fired and demand someone who will lose like they want.

Nail meets head. 

Can’t have SLU be the talk of the town over Mizzou and the Illini.

44 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not knocking Shertz but 3 or so years ago people were melting down when they thought Ford was being possibly courted by another school.  I get why their board may be melting down but nobody has a crystal ball either.

Is someone going to hire Drambot away because he made the tournament by winning the auto bid? One trip in 7 years.

I don't think so. Anyone melting down years ago was unaware of the college coaching landscape. To include our AD. 

We need embrace our place as an upper middle class school. If we do well top schools will want our coach. But we have to be real about what doing well is

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Is someone going to hire Drambot away because he made the tournament by winning the auto bid? One trip in 7 years.

I don't think so. Anyone melting down years ago was unaware of the college coaching landscape. To include our AD. 

We need embrace our place as an upper middle class school. If we do well top schools will want our coach. But we have to be real about what doing well is

To jog your memory - "In Ford We Trust".

NextYearBill likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

We picked Ford over Otzelberger.

Your post sent me down a rabbit whole of searching Otzelberberg on the board and reading through the coaching search threads from 2016....and holy this post you made almost 8 years ago!

It should be noted that Otzelberger has now coached at 3 different schools during Ford's tenure.  I highly doubt he'd still be at SLU, but that's fine.  Use us a stepping stone & then we just keep making good coaching hires.  That route has been successful for a lot more programs we consider our peers than a route of trying to get a coach who will stay forever.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

To jog your memory - "In Ford We Trust".

Not me.  I wasn't always hard on him but that wasn't me. 

Anyway whoever it was, they are a bunch of MBMs not the AD.  The AD should know better.

I think most here commiserate with them, this sucks.  But it's not my problem. Not going to stop me from wanting their coach and about 3 players. C'est la vie

I do agree that there are often types on message boards and they often act the same way.

1 hour ago, Franchise_08 said:

Can we swap Ford for Schertz straight up?

I'd trade him for an actual sycamore.

At least one isn't an oxygen thief

SLU_Lax and JMM28 like this

6 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Hey hey hey slowdown.  You already got posters coming for you. Don't get Cusamano after you.  Don't go on any deep sea fishing trips with friends of Frank, capiche?

haha

1 hour ago, Franchise_08 said:

Can we swap Ford for Schertz straight up?

Indiana state does not want him. They're gonna go pick someone that can win, possibly Schertz' associate head coach Matt Graves.

They could also look at a winner like Morehead State's Spradlin. Buckyball from Samford(if no one else goes for him) just as examples. Those types of winners will go to terre haute and win again. Not Ford.

11 minutes ago, almaman said:

one tree that looks better in the dead of winter especially on a sunny day

Sycamores are good looking trees, plant a hundred of them around campus if that’s what it takes to get our new coach…

28 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Sycamores are good looking trees, plant a hundred of them around campus if that’s what it takes to get our new coach…

That $250,000 buyout he has would plant a lot of trees.

Also would save a lot of CO2 from this board breaking it down.

7 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Hey hey hey slowdown.  You already got posters coming for you. Don't get Cusamano after you.  Don't go on any deep sea fishing trips with friends of Frank, capiche?

IMG_5884.gif

Selfishly, I want Schertz wrapped up as soon as possible, which means an early NIT loss.  However, if he’s already a done deal just waiting to be announced, and we can assume he’s bringing a few starters with him, a deep NIT run might be beneficial for us for next season.  But that seems a little like counting your chickens before they hatch…

Of course there are no guarantees in this crazy world we’re living in.  Schertz probably ISN’T the messiah.  Hell, he’s never even coached in a single ncaa tourney game.  But I agree with the majority that he looks like a solid hire and I could see him being successful here.

As for Ahearn, if he’s this incredible diamond in the rough, we can hire him in 3 years after Schertz moves on due to incredible success or disappointing failure.

5 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

i was all in on Ford when he got Goodwin. downhill from that point on

I think he turned a lot of heads with that pick up the problem is he didn't know what to do with his wealth of talent.  His deficient at other places rear its ugly head here and then the NIL thing hit and he was a blind man knocking around in the dark.  Funny thing is he knew it as per his - I got a plan and I now know how to deal with the NIL thing.

billiken_roy likes this

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I think he turned a lot of heads with that pick up the problem is he didn't know what to do with his wealth of talent.  His deficient at other places rear its ugly head here and then the NIL thing hit and he was a blind man knocking around in the dark.  Funny thing is he knew it as per his - I got a plan and I now know how to deal with the NIL thing.

Yep, for all the credit he gets for our 2019 A10 tourney win, people seem to forget we were overwhelming preseason favorites that year. That team featured Goodwin, French, Bess, Isabell, Foreman, Gordon, Wiley, Thatch, and Jacobs at the start of the season.  That’s a ridiculous amount of talent for an A10 team.  And all he could muster was a 6th place conference finish.  That should’ve been a way bigger red flag than it was… instead May essentially said, “Let me sign this man for life.”