12 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I thought you didn't care?  Isn't winning random and countless coaches could win or lose at SLU?

Really arguing hard for Ahearn for someone that doesn't care.

You need to learn about making assumptions.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, stmdragons said:

As awesome as this is, I can’t help but feel awful for ISU fans. This has got to be an absolutely terrible day for them. 

True. But at the same time, this is a business and decisions need to be made sans emotions. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You need to learn about making assumptions.  

You're the one that told me you don't care. My post was quoting you.

So you're pro Ahearn?  Or don't care?

Wait Wait I decided I don't give a f*ck

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am really confused by the Ahern talk.  Is just that he is from StL?  I would think as some have suggested that he would be interested in MSU if he really wanted to coach in college.  He had wanted to come here but Sodie axed that - big mistake as it turns out but being a player and coaching are two different things.  I would think he would not want anything to do with us after his first treatment here.

It’s completely ridiculous. 

15 hours ago, stmdragons said:

As awesome as this is, I can’t help but feel awful for ISU fans. This has got to be an absolutely terrible day for them. 

They've got a lot of momentum and have seen what a good program can do for Terre Haute. The 850k they were discussing would be more than enough to hire a new slam-dunk coach. The NIL they were discussing(80k for some players) is enough to smash the MVC. They will be OK.

43 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

True or not, those 3 coaches certainly would have an opinion I would listen too.   

And I'm sure if we asked Rick Pitino he would have said we should keep Ford instead of firing him. It doesn't mean it's the right move for the program. 

slufan13 likes this

9 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am really confused by the Ahern talk.  Is just that he is from StL?  I would think as some have suggested that he would be interested in MSU if he really wanted to coach in college.  He had wanted to come here but Sodie axed that - big mistake as it turns out but being a player and coaching are two different things.  I would think he would not want anything to do with us after his first treatment here.

It’s primarily local media who want access to the program that would be furthered due to a personal relationship. At least in the case of Frank that’s what it is. Other media pushing it just don’t have a high view of the program, and think it’s a nice place to have a local guy because it’s a nice story and they don’t have a concept of what SLU spends on the program. 

dlarry likes this

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

And what has Blake Ahearn done to earn a HEAD COACHING position in College Basketball. Do you see a difference between Geno vouching for Tillett and those guys allegedly vouching for Ahearn? 

I'm certainly not trying to defend Hooserpal, but it's the G-Leage championship for me. I don't think coaching the G-Leage is far off from coaching in college. Especially with the NIL changes in college basketball.

1 minute ago, TaLBErt said:

I'm certainly not trying to defend Hooserpal, but it's the G-Leage championship for me. I don't think coaching the G-Leage is far off from coaching in college. Especially with the NIL changes in college basketball.

Tatum lost in the NBL semi finals.  Had he even won the NBL, that doesn't move the needle for me, personally. Until they have coached one minute of college basketball, the risk is simply not worth it. 

6 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Jerry Stackhouse also had a G-League title. Never danced at Vandy. 

Soderball and JMM28 like this

1 hour ago, 757billiken said:

So we could lose to Drake again?  Their best players are not good enough.

I guess I may be on an island but Schertz is kind of a blah for me. His best players lost to Drake 2 out of 3 this year. We lost to Drake by a handful after leading by like 20 in the first half. I think we only had like 7 players for that game too, 4 being freshmen. 

I don't have the answer, but I fear Schertz might not be it. He's individually impressive and well-spoken but doing well at Lincoln Memorial and Indiana St doesn't necessarily translate to the A10 and better conferences.

I refer you back to a post from @TheWiz.  I’m doing it from off the top of my head, but I believe he said that when he ran the numbers, the Sycamores would have finished second in the conference for the regular season and would have won the conference tournament.  Maybe Schertz’s abilities do translate to the A-10.

7 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Jerry Stackhouse also had a G-League title. Never danced at Vandy. 

Oh , sho'nuff. That's a pretty good comp. The comp I had in my head was Eric Musselman, but he had a stop as a college assistant.

41 minutes ago, GoSluBills said:

And I'm sure if we asked Rick Pitino he would have said we should keep Ford instead of firing him. It doesn't mean it's the right move for the program. 

Bingo. As @Dr Bird said, I don’t think any of those guys are recommending Ahearn because he’s in the program’s best interest. It’s a favor to a friend.  Are they gonna pitch into our NIL fund, or help recruit guys here to help him succeed? No.  Then why should their opinion be taken as anything other than kind words about a friend?

Dr Bird likes this

Look, I've questioned Schertz resume before, but I am willing to admit that he might just be a really good basketball mind that recruits diamonds in the rough and coaches them to becoming more than they were when he brought them in.  I still don't think he's proven anything with his 29 NET and zero signature wins, but I'm willing to admit that he could be the answer for us.  If we hire him, I will be fully behind him and hoping we get Avila on a treadmill to improve his conditioning.

At the same time, Ahearn could be just as much of an answer for us.  He could come in and really turn things around.  The idea that anyone on this board knows for a fact that he would not work out is crazy.

Right now, both Schertz and Ahearn have the same amount of big time Division 1 wins (0).  Either one could be the answer and either one could bomb out.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

True or not, those 3 coaches certainly would have an opinion I would listen too.   

If I'm making a college head coaching hire, I'd honestly be more inclined to hire a guy who is recommended by a bunch of high level AAU coaches, international youth level coaches, and/or high level Juco coaches than a guy recommended by NBA head coaches and blue blood college head coaches.  I'm not saying the first guys exists, just that recommendations from the latter group shouldn't carry a ton of weight just because of their celebrity status.

billiken_roy likes this

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Look, I've questioned Schertz resume before, but I am willing to admit that he might just be a really good basketball mind that recruits diamonds in the rough and coaches them to becoming more than they were when he brought them in.  I still don't think he's proven anything with his 29 NET and zero signature wins, but I'm willing to admit that he could be the answer for us.  If we hire him, I will be fully behind him and hoping we get Avila on a treadmill to improve his conditioning.

This got me thinking.  College sports is gonna get even crazier when players have a buyout 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

This got me thinking.  College sports is gonna get even crazier when players have a buyout 

Can players have multiyear deals?  If so, can they be enforced?  Now you've got me thinking.

It is truly hilarious that the same posters that defended Ford until it became clear his position as coach was indefensible, are now the ones saying Ahearn could be the answer.  And throwing water on Schertz, when he very clearly is our best option. Is he guaranteed to succeed?  No.  Does Schertz arriving along with 3-5 players from a team that was ranked last year while playing in the MVC give us a better chance at success than a guy who’s never coached in college?  You don’t have to be a genius to figure out that one. 

19 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

At the same time, Ahearn could be just as much of an answer for us.  He could come in and really turn things around.  The idea that anyone on this board knows for a fact that he would not work out is crazy.

Right now, both Schertz and Ahearn have the same amount of big time Division 1 wins (0).  Either one could be the answer and either one could bomb out.

Doesn't have anything beyond his 29 NET .. says it all.

NextYearBill likes this