Coaching Carousel 2024

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I like that the national perception is that we are underachieving given our potential.

ST. LOUIS

Out : Travis Ford
SLU sacked Ford moments after the team's season ended in the A-10 Tournament. He was there eight seasons and went to one NCAA Tournament. Many in the business believe this program has been an underachiever vs. its potential for decades. With no hire yet, it's only fair to assume SLU is waiting on a coach whose season is still ongoing. Josh Schertz is the presumptive guy here.

-and we have the scars from the self-inflicted wounds to prove the point

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The art of the coach speak.

It looks like the announcement will be made likely on Saturday, after taking a day to “think about things”, right when the Final Four begins.  Works for me.

Coaching Carousel SLU edition:

Chris Mack was contacted by SLU for the 2nd straight year to gauge his interest. Nothing more than that transpired with him. He wasn’t SLU’s first or top choice. He was one of many in a list. And since his interest wasn’t strong, SLU moved on to the next candidate. Mack was more of a thing last year.

Mack overestimated his demand this cycle. He was somewhat selective, only seeking P4 opportunities. But he was not a serious candidate at any of the P4 openings. He was nowhere near the top 3 at Vandy, which was in order, May, Sprinkle, Byington. But he was on a secondary list with several others.

Mack was also hoping that FSU or UCF (again, P4 situations) would open so he could enter the mix there. They didn’t. He ended up at College of Charleston to get back into the mix after sitting out. It was now or never. He was not College of Charleston’s first choice. And they were not his first choice. It’s a good mid major job, which is where he needed to go to build himself up back into the mix. It took an old connection tor him to land there. Both Mack and Kelsey were assistants for Skip Prosser. And, Kelsey was an assistant for Mack.

It’s been 5 years since Mack coached in the NCAA Tourney. He’s long had an aloof, loner, personality with his peers. He panic fired his staff at UL and he secretly recorded an assistant that tried to extort him. Those are all red flags for P4 programs with many other available canidates.

Darian DeVries was a candidate at Michigan. And, he was ultimately hired at West Virginia. May was their first choice but DeVries was high on their list. DeVries was on SLU’s list and he had some level of interest in SLU as a fall back choice.

Mark Byington was a candidate at West Virginia. He was hired by Vandy as their 3rd choice behind May and Sprinkle. SLU would have had a chance with Byington if he was pursued early as a top choice like Schertz before other opportunities opened for him. But not beyond that.

Many schools are (obviously) avoiding Will Wade because of his show cause and because of his reputation. SLU of course is included in that group and SLU had no interest, not that Wade would have had any interest in SLU either.

Pat Kelsey hadn’t previously been scooped up long ago because of concerns about his personality. (same reason different personality than Mack) SLU of course is included in that. His name gets mentioned often but most schools have looked for a reason to hire someone else. He ended up as a fall back choice for UL.

Bryce Drew never moved up or down out of middle of the pack level at SLU or at other places. He as perceived as an elite recruiter, that has struggled with player development, x’s and o’s, in game adjustments. His PR campaign to trash his previous employer through some basketball media, hasn’t helped his candidacy elsewhere.

You can’t play a what if game when you land your first choice. But up next after that for SLU were Spradlin, Henderson, McCollum, Kerns, Morrell, McMillan. Spradlin was positioned as next up, as he impressed multiple places because he interviewed well. And he landed the James Madison position. 

McMillan, signed a raise and extension at Samford. (He’s been a secondary candidate at a few places.), McCollum, who was middle of the pack on SLU’s list, accepted the position at Drake. 
……………
SLU_Lax and blue bodega like this

47 minutes ago, courtside said:

Coaching Carousel SLU edition:

Chris Mack was contacted by SLU for the 2nd straight year to gauge his interest. Nothing more than that transpired with him. He wasn’t SLU’s first or top choice. He was one of many in a list. And since his interest wasn’t strong, SLU moved on to the next candidate. Mack was more of a thing last year.

Mack overestimated his demand this cycle. He was somewhat selective, only seeking P4 opportunities. But he was not a serious candidate at any of the P4 openings. He was nowhere near the top 3 at Vandy, which was in order, May, Sprinkle, Byington. But he was on a secondary list with several others.

Mack was also hoping that FSU or UCF (again, P4 situations) would open so he could enter the mix there. They didn’t. He ended up at College of Charleston to get back into the mix after sitting out. It was now or never. He was not College of Charleston’s first choice. And they were not his first choice. It’s a good mid major job, which is where he needed to go to build himself up back into the mix. It took an old connection tor him to land there. Both Mack and Kelsey were assistants for Skip Prosser. And, Kelsey was an assistant for Mack.

It’s been 5 years since Mack coached in the NCAA Tourney. He’s long had an aloof, loner, personality with his peers. He panic fired his staff at UL and he secretly recorded an assistant that tried to extort him. Those are all red flags for P4 programs with many other available canidates.

Darian DeVries was a candidate at Michigan. And, he was ultimately hired at West Virginia. May was their first choice but DeVries was high on their list. DeVries was on SLU’s list and he had some level of interest in SLU as a fall back choice.

Mark Byington was a candidate at West Virginia. He was hired by Vandy as their 3rd choice behind May and Sprinkle. SLU would have had a chance with Byington if he was pursued early as a top choice like Schertz before other opportunities opened for him. But not beyond that.

Many schools are (obviously) avoiding Will Wade because of his show cause and because of his reputation. SLU of course is included in that group and SLU had no interest, not that Wade would have had any interest in SLU either.

Pat Kelsey hadn’t previously been scooped up long ago because of concerns about his personality. (same reason different personality than Mack) SLU of course is included in that. His name gets mentioned often but most schools have looked for a reason to hire someone else. He ended up as a fall back choice for UL.

Bryce Drew never moved up or down out of middle of the pack level at SLU or at other places. He as perceived as an elite recruiter, that has struggled with player development, x’s and o’s, in game adjustments. His PR campaign to trash his previous employer through some basketball media, hasn’t helped his candidacy elsewhere.

You can’t play a what if game when you land your first choice. But up next after that for SLU were Spradlin, Henderson, McCollum, Kerns, Morrell, McMillan. Spradlin was positioned as next up, as he impressed multiple places because he interviewed well. And he landed the James Madison position. 

McMillan, signed a raise and extension at Samford. (He’s been a secondary candidate at a few places.), McCollum, who was middle of the pack on SLU’s list, accepted the position at Drake. 
……………

Thank you for the info. 

courtside likes this

15 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Calapiri to Arkansas? Strong smoke

They'd let him out of the contract for sure.  He'd be smart to jump. Going to be toxic for him in Lexington.

3 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Shaping up perfectly for Travis Ford to UK

Hahhahah they'd burn Rupp to the ground

Pete Thamel X post, Calipari to Arkansas. Interesting. Another report said he was told he'd have $5mil NIL fund.

Who does UK go after?  Nate Oats?  

The Calipari hiring is interesting.

I am curious how the Arkansas fan base is reacting to  this? 
Personally I would not be happy. Not because Calipari is a slime ball, which he is, but I think he is washed up. 

Given the choice between Schertz and Calipari right now I’m taking Schertz. 

Billiken Rich likes this

29 minutes ago, dlarry said:

The Calipari hiring is interesting.

I am curious how the Arkansas fan base is reacting to  this? 
Personally I would not be happy. Not because Calipari is a slime ball, which he is, but I think he is washed up. 

Given the choice between Schertz and Calipari right now I’m taking Schertz. 

We know Calipari can recruit. The problem was college basketball changed and teams got older with the portal so winning with a bunch of one and dones was harder.  

I think he realizes that now, 2 years too late.  He told UK fans basically "I have a plan".  They didn't have the will to pay $33mil buyout but it was so toxic.  He needed to jump. 

If he recruits transfers at the same high level he got HS kids he can win. Arkansas will pay NIL. If he changes he can win again.

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

We know Calipari can recruit. The problem was college basketball changed and teams got older with the portal so winning with a bunch of one and dones was harder.  

I think he realizes that now, 2 years too late.  He told UK fans basically "I have a plan".  They didn't have the will to pay $33mil buyout but it was so toxic.  He needed to jump. 

If he recruits transfers at the same high level he got HS kids he can win. Arkansas will pay NIL. If he changes he can win again.

This is Calipari and Kentucky learning from the greatest point guard to ever play the game of basketball: Travis Ford. 

11 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

They'd let him out of the contract for sure.  He'd be smart to jump. Going to be toxic for him in Lexington.

If Arky wants Calipari, will UK would force them to pay at least a portion of the buyout?  My guess is a much reduced buyout

1 minute ago, Dr Bird said:

If Arky wants Calipari, will UK would force them to pay at least a portion of the buyout?  My guess is a much reduced buyout

I bet they reached a deal like Texas and Marquette on Shaka.

So if they did reach a deal that probably means UK has the replacement lined up. 

Pitino is still kicking. But I wonder who they want?  Oats?  Beard? Pearl? Jay Wright comes back?

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I bet they reached a deal like Texas and Marquette on Shaka.

So if they did reach a deal that probably means UK has the replacement lined up. 

Pitino is still kicking. But I wonder who they want?  Oats?  Beard? Pearl? Jay Wright comes back?

Oats or Beard would be an amazing hire for Kentucky.

Top Nine list for UK:  Jay Wright, Danny Hurley, Rick Pitino, TJ Otzelberger, Bryce Drew, Nate Oats, Bruce Pearl, Tommy Lloyd, and Billy Donovan (per speculative article).