Transfers - 2024

ACE

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I guess Roddie would fit the description of the defensive guard.

I'm a little surprised about the backup for Avila - as I figured Craig could get a few mpg in that role, as well as time at the 4. I guess any high school kids would fit the description of a "wildcard" - a player you're not counting on, but perhaps exceeds expectations and grabs a role.

Fletcher doesn't seem to fit the description of any of these types of players - although perhaps he could be considered a wildcard considering his injury history.

1 hour ago, Ibruce said:

Cam’ron Fletcher is visiting next week according to Trilly

Here is the way the computer sees it...

Here is a player that doesn't have a full sample size in any category in any of his 4  years.  Even his biggest data year(soph...2021-22) he fell short. He played in 29 games that year and averaged 16mpg. He played more that year than the other 3 years combined.  He finally has a full size sample accumulated. This 1 year sample size has taken him 4 years to accumulate. This is at best an awkward data sample with no easy way to analyze it but we will try. 

We will take the career data (which in this case equals 1 year of data) and compare it with the last 2 years combined for trending purposes.

Career report card(4 yrs)....C / C / C / F+

Last 2 seasons combined...F- / F- / D /F-

Rebs...B.... Ast /TO ratio ...Career...0.61...last 2 yrs ....0.56...remember when Asts and TOs are the same the number=1......1.06 = C....needless to say with many more TOs to Asts  these numbers = F-. But what about the points??  He has averaged 15.8 ppg...career and last 2 years.   A poor slash line plus high point total= a player who is missing a lot of shots....Inefficient shooting = bad basketball.

It will be more than 2 1/2 years by the time the season starts since he has had serious playing time.  Which brings me once again to the same question  I ask the computer ...Should we take this guy? The computer's answer is yes.  When I ask why ? The computer responds by cranking out ISU data which shows that players 11-13 played an average of 4-5 mpg over about 14 games. The computer says yes because that is where he sees Fletcher fitting in.

I don't agree ...I think we can do better not only from a data stand point but also from a needs basis. If we are to believe Stu's article above about what SLU needs in the final 3 players, Fletcher doesn't seem to fill those needs....I tell the computer I don't have a good feeling about this player and it doesn't understand.

And that's why they call it artificial intelligence...although it can sift through mounds of data it doesn't always know what to do with it. It can't "feel" the data out

That's why this computer has The Wiz.

41 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm a little surprised about the backup for Avila - as I figured Craig could get a few mpg in that role, as well as time at the 4. I guess any high school kids would fit the description of a "wildcard" - a player you're not counting on, but perhaps exceeds expectations and grabs a role.

Fletcher doesn't seem to fit the description of any of these types of players - although perhaps he could be considered a wildcard considering his injury history.

If Fletcher didn't fit into Schertz plans, he wouldn't have him in for a visit.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

If Fletcher didn't fit into Schertz plans, he wouldn't have him in for a visit.

I never said he didn't - just that he doesn't really seem to fit Stu's descriptions.

Also, don't assume that every payer that visits gets an offer on the spot. It makes sense to cast a wide net and kick the tires on a lot of players.

38 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Here is a player that doesn't have a full sample size in any category in any of his 4  years.  Even his biggest data year(soph...2021-22) he fell short. He played in 29 games that year and averaged 16mpg. He played more that year than the other 3 years combined.  He finally has a full size sample accumulated. This 1 year sample size has taken him 4 years to accumulate. This is at best an awkward data sample with no easy way to analyze it but we will try. 

We will take the career data (which in this case equals 1 year of data) and compare it with the last 2 years combined for trending purposes.

Rebs...B.... Ast /TO ratio ...Career...0.61...last 2 yrs ....0.56...remember when Asts and TOs are the same the number=1......1.06 = C....needless to say with many more TOs to Asts  these numbers = F-. But what about the points??  He has averaged 15.8 ppg...career and last 2 years.   A poor slash line plus high point total= a player who is missing a lot of shots....Inefficient shooting = bad basketball.

It will be more than 2 1/2 years by the time the season starts since he has had serious playing time.  Which brings me once again to the same question  I ask the computer ...Should we take this guy? The computer's answer is yes.  When I ask why ? The computer responds by cranking out ISU data which shows that players 11-13 played an average of 4-5 mpg over about 14 games. The computer says yes because that is where he sees Fletcher fitting in.

I don't agree ...I think we can do better not only from a data stand point but also from a needs basis. If we are to believe Stu's article above about what SLU needs in the final 3 players, Fletcher doesn't seem to fill those needs....I tell the computer I don't have a good feeling about this player and it doesn't understand.

And that's why they call it artificial intelligence...although it can sift through mounds of data it doesn't always know what to do with it. It can't "feel" the data out

Great post Wiz,  totally agree that data and machines with or without AI can only go up to a point. Your program does extraordinary things, but it needs a Wiz to add a human dimension to the analysis of the data.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Fletcher doesn't seem to fit the description of any of these types of players - although perhaps he could be considered a wildcard considering his injury 

By wildcard, I think he means all of the fundamental needs are met and he can use that last spot for anything. Fletcher  would be a wildcard.

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Hope he commits--6-7, 8 rebounds a game vs. high-level competition....

Wiz, does computer take into account strength of schedule when analyzing individual data?

Also Fletcher would have to buy into Kaizen. If he buys in, I'd take him. I wonder if that would be tough for a guy coming from a power 5 conference. I hope he wouldnt automatically assume he is better/more deserving than others on the team because he played at Kentucky/FSU. I don't know the kid and hope I'm wrong, but I assume Freshmen at Kentucky think they are the best in the world.

14 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Also Fletcher would have to buy into Kaizen. If he buys in, I'd take him. I wonder if that would be tough for a guy coming from a power 5 conference. I hope he wouldnt automatically assume he is better/more deserving than others on the team because he played at Kentucky/FSU. I don't know the kid and hope I'm wrong, but I assume Freshmen at Kentucky think they are the best in the world.

If Fletcher is healthy, he would be in the rotation on day one.  I just don't think he will be healthy anytime soon. 

If he could rehab this year and be our sixth man the following year, that would be awesome.  Fletcher could end his career on a positive note and possibly make SLU attractive to future Vashon recruits.

6 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Hope he commits--6-7, 8 rebounds a game vs. high-level competition....

Wiz, does computer take into account strength of schedule when analyzing individual data?

Good question...in this case the answer is no because he doesn't have any full sample sizes.  

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Fletcher is healthy, he would be in the rotation on day one.  I just don't think he will be healthy anytime soon. 

If he could rehab this year and be our sixth man the following year, that would be awesome.  Fletcher could end his career on a positive note and possibly make SLU attractive to future Vashon recruits.

This was my concern when I said I didn't have a good feeling about him in my above post....  Back to back season ending  knee injuries 1 year apart on the same knee.  I think in a twisted way the computer made the same calculation.  It saw bottom of the rotation players at ISU receiving about 70 min/season and then saw Fletcher with 111 min last season and thought ...yeah he could do that and therefore be a bottom of the roster player. I agree with your line of thought that he needs another year of rehab. The issue with that is , you then have over 3 1/2  years since he had any serious basketball minutes.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

This was my concern when I said I didn't have a good feeling about him in my above post....  Back to back season ending  knee injuries 1 year apart on the same knee.  I think in a twisted way the computer made the same calculation.  It saw bottom of the rotation players at ISU receiving about 70 min/season and then saw Fletcher with 111 min last season and thought ...yeah he could do that and therefore be a bottom of the roster player. I agree with your line of thought that he needs another year of rehab. The issue with that is , you then have over 3 1/2  years since he had any serious basketball minutes.

You can take a flyer on a guy with Fletcher’s talent with the 13th scholarship even with an extended rehab if your medical team thinks he can eventually come back.

Zink, billikens747, Scoop and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

You can take a flyer on a guy with Fletcher’s talent with the 13th scholarship even with an extended rehab if your medical team thinks he can evolutionarily come back.

Hmmm...this sounds familiar...Has my computer been texting you?  I will have to shut it down when I am not on the Bills board. What's more concerning than the computer sending out unauthorized messages is that it may have created some clones that are actually posters on this Board.

brianstl and Adman like this

wiz, by chance, your computer isnt named "HAL" is it?

Adman likes this

42 minutes ago, DOC said:

Stu and Frank have done a really nice job of keeping us updated on what’s going on. 

Frank has usually been a good source of recruiting news because he's close with Tate. I used to be a big critic of Stu because he had no interest at all in covering recruiting in his early years as the beat writer - it was as if he didn't think it was part of his job. But to his credit, he has evolved and covered it a lot more in recent years.

43 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Funny way to spell Josh Schertz.

I will also point out that within minutes of the announcement of the two new players on the women’s teams, Stu had a story on line. Has something actually changed in how the athletics department functions?

TheA_Bomb likes this