I Miss Yuri

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the comments from last year that we would be better off without Yuri were ridiculous. I pointed out that life would be much more difficult this year for Gibby, who was heavily reliant on Yuri.

Also odd that Yuri caught so much crap, yet Gibby largely escapes criticism for poor performances.

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Some of the comments from last year that we would be better off without Yuri were ridiculous. I pointed out that life would be much more difficult this year for Gibby, who was heavily reliant on Yuri.

Also odd that Yuri caught so much crap, yet Gibby largely escapes criticism for poor performances.

Gibby escapes criticism????  Really???   I've read a ton of it, all year.       Not from me, I dont trash our players, Yuri and Jimerson included.    Why do you think the board wouldn't criticize Jimerson, but would Yuri?  What are you inferring?   

2 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Gibby escapes criticism????  Really???   I've read a ton of it, all year.       Not from me, I dont trash our players, Yuri and Jimerson included.    Why do you think the board wouldn't criticize Jimerson, but would Yuri?  What are you inferring?   

I don't know - it's strange. Any Gibby struggles are often attributed to the coach - you see some of it again today.

15 minutes ago, ACE said:

This, so much this. Gibby is kind of the fan base’s sacred cow. He’s a role player who can get hot from the arc, and that’s about it. Sure, he developed a drive from left to right across the lane but if he’s your best player, your team has problems.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

I don't know - it's strange. Any Gibby struggles are often attributed to the coach - you see some of it again today.

Some people are defending him (me).  Some people are critical of him.   Similar to Yuri.    Yuri was a generational point guard, that maybe didn't max out his talent in college, perhaps due to his head coach.   The only thing that disappointed me about Yuri was his halted transfer to Tennessee, although I dont think I even expressed that on the board.   That may have caused some hard feelings with people when the season went south last year.   Seems like you are inferring something about people defending Jimerson.  

33 minutes ago, ACE said:

I do agree that Yuri caught a lot of crap for being one of the best Billiken guards of all time .His flirtation with Tennesee caused some of it. 

TheA_Bomb and slufan13 like this

I prefer to keep the criticism to the coach. It's easier. If we're going to the players, I'd even argue that Goodwin and French should have delivered more than one NCAA appearance. I'd say Jimerson has had way too many no shows in big games to be considered an all time great. I'd say Parker and Perkins are one dimensional overrated players who clog up whatever offense we even try to run at times. I'd say Yuri had a lot of empty stats and the flirtation with Tennessee and then didn't deliver a successful season when he came back. But at the end of the day it all comes down to the coach. 

Bizziken and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

He doesn’t turn the ball over and he didn’t have a very public NIL scandal.

If Gibby was the weak link on defense, like he should be on almost any able bodied team, then he would receive it.

52 minutes ago, willie said:

I do agree that Yuri caught a lot of crap for being one of the best Billiken guards of all time .His flirtation with Tennesee caused some of it. 

Understood, but the flirtation lasted about a week. Can you blame him for exploring what's out there with NIL when SLU seemingly had little to nothing to offer at that time? At the same time, we also have a lot of fans (rightfully so) very critical for SLU to be slow in developing their NIL game. It seems to me, Yuri's flirtation was a good thing - it was a wake-up call... a catalyst for at least trying to develop a NIL strategy... which currently a lot of fans still think is not enough. Imagine how far behind SLU would be with NIL if Yuri didn't provide a wake-up call.

He's a local kid who stayed home, played all four years, became the school's all-time leading assists leader, A-10 all-time assists leader and led the nation twice in a statistical category (something I imagine has never happened in SLU history. Those are things that would typically be celebrated.

40 minutes ago, ACE said:

Understood, but the flirtation lasted about a week. Can you blame him for exploring what's out there with NIL when SLU seemingly had little to nothing to offer at that time? At the same time, we also have a lot of fans (rightfully so) very critical for SLU to be slow in developing their NIL game. It seems to me, Yuri's flirtation was a good thing - it was a wake-up call... a catalyst for at least trying to develop a NIL strategy... which currently a lot of fans still think is not enough. Imagine how far behind SLU would be with NIL if Yuri didn't provide a wake-up call.

He's a local kid who stayed home, played all four years, became the school's all-time leading assists leader, A-10 all-time assists leader and led the nation twice in a statistical category (something I imagine has never happened in SLU history. Those are things that would typically be celebrated.

Agreed.  Basketball is a team game.  If Perkins doesn't get hurt, all the accolades you mentioned would have been in addition to an NCAA appearance.  But Perkins did get hurt.  That's life.

I would go to watch a crappy team with Yuri on it- he was one of the most entertaining basketball players I've ever seen.  Going to watch  this team doesn't even cross my mind at this point- I'm completely checked out.  I'd much rather watch paint dry.  I'm only checking the board hoping we fired Ford today- no luck so far.

In case you missed it:  Grant Huffman and Angelo Brizzi against Cian Medley and Mike Meadows Wednesday night:

Huffman/Brizzi             Medley/Meadows

Assists:                         10                                      5

Rebounds:                     8                                       3

3pts:                            5 - 7                                 0 - 2

Turnovers:                      1                                       3

Combined, Meadows, Medley, Hughes and Jimerson were 3 of 16.  Let's watch Saturday and see how far out Umass pushes our points as they cross the half court line.  

stmdragons likes this

29 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

In case you missed it:  Grant Huffman and Angelo Brizzi against Cian Medley and Mike Meadows Wednesday night:

Huffman/Brizzi             Medley/Meadows

Assists:                         10                                      5

Rebounds:                     8                                       3

3pts:                            5 - 7                                 0 - 2

Turnovers:                      1                                       3

Combined, Meadows, Medley, Hughes and Jimerson were 3 of 16.  Let's watch Saturday and see how far out Umass pushes our points as they cross the half court line.  

That's what quitting looks like.  Davidson could smell it on our guys and embarrassed us on our home court.  What a mess.

38 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's what quitting looks like.  Davidson could smell it on our guys and embarrassed us on our home court.  What a mess.

How do you explain though that the Billikens were up 3 at the half?  Did the guys go into the locker room and say “Ok, let’s quit on the coach”?