2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

35 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

we had the all STL team of all STL teams..... Thatch, Goodwin, Perkins, Collins, Hargrove.... what happened

This might be a bit controversial, but more often than not, local players have inflated reputations. The program isn’t going to advance forward without recruiting other locations well. There has to be a mix. 

House likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

This might be a bit controversial, but more often than not, local players have inflated reputations. The program isn’t going to advance forward without recruiting other locations well. There has to be a mix. 

This may be a bit non-controversial, but that team would've performed better with someone else coaching it.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is going to sound mean but this is a business. If he’s not scouting, or recruiting outside St. Louis and there’s nobody to recruit in St Louis:

388D159E-FCE0-44FC-859B-953090842997.gif

He was recruiting in Orlando the day after VCU. My wife talked to him as they were on the same flight.

18 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

we had the all STL team of all STL teams..... Thatch, Goodwin, Perkins, Collins, Hargrove.... what happened

That team was good enough to crack the Top 25 in Dec. 2020 following wins over NC State and LSU... then the super spreader happened. That's not the players fault. I would take a local group like this again in a heartbeat.

18 hours ago, Old guy said:

As long as he does not have a 20 year history of heart disease, like Majerus did, he might be OK

I would happily take the RM era all over again knowing what I know now. Why are people harping on this health thing? He gave us one of the best and most memorable Billiken teams of all time. The problem was hiring f'ing Jim "Temu Bob Knight" Crews. If we had hired Moser or something things would have been just fine. That team was GOOD. Columbus was the best Billiken memory i have in my lifetime.

STFU Old Guy. Shove it. RM was awesome heart disease or no. I'm tired of reading this crap from you.

58 minutes ago, ACE said:

That team was good enough to crack the Top 25 in Dec. 2020 following wins over NC State and LSU... then the super spreader happened. That's not the players fault. I would take a local group like this again in a heartbeat.

I wonder who's fault that could have been? Maybe Stone Cold Steve Austin?

(disclaimer: this is firmly tongue-in-cheek, a child is not responsible for the sins of the father)

2 hours ago, Soderball said:

I would happily take the RM era all over again knowing what I know now. Why are people harping on this health thing? He gave us one of the best and most memorable Billiken teams of all time. The problem was hiring f'ing Jim "Temu Bob Knight" Crews. If we had hired Moser or something things would have been just fine. That team was GOOD. Columbus was the best Billiken memory i have in my lifetime.

STFU Old Guy. Shove it. RM was awesome heart disease or no. I'm tired of reading this crap from you.

My feelings exactly Soderball, apply your own words to yourself. A coach that lasts a couple of years, spends the last year of his life unable to work and leaves the team in the hands of a certifiably terrible coach is not worth getting.

17 minutes ago, Old guy said:

My feelings exactly Soderball, apply your own words to yourself. A coach that lasts a couple of years, spends the last year of his life unable to work and leaves the team in the hands of a certifiably terrible coach is not worth getting.

Completely wrong. This isn’t wether or not you’d storm the beaches knowing how much Dutch a$$ you’d get if you make it out alive. I’d take 3 more NCAA tournaments in a row in the same exact scenario without question. We’ll deal with finding a new coach when it comes around with 3 years of NCAA credits on the books. 

Old guy and TheDude like this

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Josh Schertz interview segment 3.

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

I've been listening for 3 minutes and Schertz made it very easy to understand what offense he runs.  He runs the offense through the 5.  He understands that guys at that position who can pass, dribble and shoot don't grow on trees.  Curious as to what his roster construction would look like if he doesn't have a 5 to build around.

I don't enjoy watching the NBA but I do like that Jokic is making the passing/shooting big man fashionable again.

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Completely wrong. This isn’t wether or not you’d storm the beaches knowing how much Dutch a$$ you’d get if you make it out alive. I’d take 3 more NCAA tournaments in a row in the same exact scenario without question. We’ll deal with finding a new coach when it comes around with 3 years of NCAA credits on the books. 

And that is a perfectly sound personal opinion that you have expressed in a perfectly civil and polite fashion. Well done 05,

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

The things I would do for Mack....

The things I would do to Mack for Mack. Hope he’s into that. 

Not many Twitterheads that would get me excited about dropping names for the SLU job but Trilly D is definitely the exception. Mack would be a dream come true. Give me Mack.  

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

Trilly Donovan reporting on his discord channel that the top candidates for the SLU job are Mack and Schertz.

Does anyone know if this means that there is actual interest from Mack and Schertz to come to SLU? Or are these just the two coaches SLU will be targeting?

6 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Does anyone know if this means that there is actual interest from Mack and Schertz to come to SLU? Or are these just the two coaches SLU will be targeting?

He didn't expand. But at this stage of the game with Ford still not given his walking papers, what you should take away is that someone who would know is saying that SLU is looking in the a great direction.

SLURadioBoy and gabriel like this