Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Marquette currently has a lean board of 30 trustees and Butler is at 32 members. Xavier, Creighton, DePaul, and Wash U. all have over 40 members.

The size of SLU's board is not a reflection of a lack of institutional control, nor an indictment on the president's oversight. It's industry standard.

It is the standard among private universities, but it probably isn't the best way to operate.  Huge boards tend to dilute accountability, make needed changes harder and give oversized roles to a limited number of members that decide to be more engaged.  I understand why it is the standard.  You are trying to keep so many different groups and donors both happy and involved, but it is damn near impossible to have board that offers true and effective oversight and leadership when it is that big.  

cgeldmacher likes this

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is the standard among private universities, but it probably isn't the best way to operate.  Huge boards tend to dilute accountability, make needed changes harder and give oversized roles to a limited number of members that decide to be more engaged.  I understand why it is the standard.  You are trying to keep so many different groups and donors both happy and involved, but it is damn near impossible to have board that offers true and effective oversight and leadership when it is that big.  

We don't need Board Oversight

Tupac.jpg

NextYearBill likes this

May deserves full credit for a bunch of really good things he's done at SLU. He also deserves full blame for even negotiating an extension, let alone coming to an agreement, with Ford after that miracle A10 run. It's time for him to move to a new role.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

BOT's have standing committees that delve into specific areas.  Not all BOT members are involved in all topics.  I don't know the number of committee's with SLU's BOT nor the number of members each committee has.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Marquette currently has a lean board of 30 trustees and Butler is at 32 members. Xavier, Creighton, DePaul, and Wash U. all have over 40 members.

The size of SLU's board is not a reflection of a lack of institutional control, nor an indictment on the president's oversight. It's industry standard.

I'm sure it is.  I just think that when you have that many board members, whatever school it is, and maybe its all schools, that means that the board isn't really running anything.  For most decisions, a board of that size has to be just rubber stamping.  I wasn't aware that schools like SLU and others had boards that big that really must not have all that much control over anything.  Now I know.

6 hours ago, brianstl said:

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm sure it is.  I just think that when you have that many board members, whatever school it is, and maybe its all schools, that means that the board isn't really running anything.  For most decisions, a board of that size has to be just rubber stamping.  I wasn't aware that schools like SLU and others had boards that big that really must not have all that much control over anything.  Now I know.

I have no idea what the ideal board size is for a private university.

I only know that the size and makeup of the board are not impediments to basketball success.

brianstl likes this

Getting back to the task at hand.

At this moment (which hopefully will change) Blake Ahearn will be our next coach.

Please direct me to someone I can beg at SLU to wait till the season is over and at least interview Ben McCollum the monday after he wins another D-2 title. Ahearn will be there no matter what.

gabriel, JMM28 and Tonka like this

55 minutes ago, thetorch said:

At this moment (which hopefully will change) Blake Ahearn will be our next coach.

Please direct me to someone I can beg at SLU to wait till the season is over and at least interview Ben McCollum the monday after he wins another D-2 title. Ahearn will be there no matter what.

With boosters like that, who needs enemies!

Talk about small time thinking. 

5 hours ago, thetorch said:

well that would be the end of my fanship.   i thought when that day came i would be more upset.  strangely i am pretty indifferent.

I'm sure we have one set of boosters who loves the Ahearn family and another set of boosters who hears the letters NBA and thinks it's the greatest thing in the world. 

I need everyone on this board to buy powerball tickets so we can have a say in this 

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

Chris May is gonna Fouk it up again.

caddyshack-judge (1).gif

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

I have seen this a couple places.

Where is the Ahearn stuff coming from? 

6 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I have seen this a couple places.

Where is the Ahearn stuff coming from? 

This is my question. Guys, how many times have we talked about SLU Athletics running with the secrecy of North Korea.
So are we not going to question why "Ahearn is the favorite" seems like the worst kept secret in Billiken History?

I still have some faith. You don't pay the 10+ million dollar buyout and take someone as risky as Ahearn or that's going to be a complete Ford retread like a Weber or Crean. 

I feel like they will go full steam ahead towards getting a proven commodity. I have faith in the Chaifetz and other boosters to make a full run at Mack, Moser, and Holtmann rather than jumping at Ahearn who no one else is going after and appears to begging for the job. They aren't as dumb as the people on this board are making them seem. 

2 minutes ago, gabriel said:

I still have some faith. You don't pay the 10+ million dollar buyout and take someone as risky as Ahearn or that's going to be a complete Ford retread like a Weber or Crean. 

I feel like they will go full steam ahead towards getting a proven commodity. I have faith in the Chaifetz and other boosters to make a full run at Mack, Moser, and Holtmann rather than jumping at Ahearn who no one else is going after and appears to begging for the job. They aren't as dumb as the people on this board are making them seem. 

With Chris May’s inability to make a sound financial decision, paired with our luck, he’ll choose John Groce just to save a buck on not needing hair product in the coach’s dressing room. 

32 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

With Chris May’s inability to make a sound financial decision, paired with our luck, he’ll choose John Groce just to save a buck on not needing hair product in the coach’s dressing room. 

That doesn’t make sense, Chris May is a money waster, not frugal. 

16 hours ago, Pistol said:

I have no idea what the ideal board size is for a private university.

I only know that the size and makeup of the board are not impediments to basketball success.

I'm not sure I agree.  If the board was made up of 9 influential alumni, I would have more faith that those alumni would be fans of our athletic teams and understand the value of having successful athletic programs.  When I hear that jesuits from other universities are on our board, I have very little faith that those gentlemen are strong supporters of our athletic programs.  In fact, I think those folks may not care at all about what happens with our athletic department.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm not sure I agree.  If the board was made up of 9 influential alumni, I would have more faith that those alumni would be fans of our athletic teams and understand the value of having successful athletic programs.  When I hear that jesuits from other universities are on our board, I have very little faith that those gentlemen are strong supporters of our athletic programs.  In fact, I think those folks may not care at all about what happens with our athletic department.

I would think it's nice to have Jesuits on the board to help ensure that the university's actions are aligned with its mission and heritage.  

TheA_Bomb likes this

2 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I would think it's nice to have Jesuits on the board to help ensure that the university's actions are aligned with its mission and heritage.  

I don't disagree, but that still doesn't make a jesuit from Creighton someone who cares about our athletic programs.

3star_recruit likes this

36 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't disagree, but that still doesn't make a jesuit from Creighton someone who cares about our athletic programs.

Except it might be helpful for votes to get into the Big East should that become an option.

"Gotta play chess not checkers" -Rex Sinqeufeld probably