The BVF Returns - Pay $250 to watch a sub .500 team practice

thetorch

There's a limit we all have to donate to the success of SLU basketball. I find this to be a chance to give what is my limit to the NIL. It should be a fun and interesting couple of hours. What we all know is we can't compete without people donating to the NIL fund. Guess I could bang away on this board screaming about how bad things are, but I'm going to go and enjoy being a Billiken and hopefully meet some of the players and staff, and lend a small helping hand. 

SLU_Nick and JMM28 like this

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, DOC said:

There's a limit we all have to donate to the success of SLU basketball. I find this to be a chance to give what is my limit to the NIL. It should be a fun and interesting couple of hours. What we all know is we can't compete without people donating to the NIL fund. Guess I could bang away on this board screaming about how bad things are, but I'm going to go and enjoy being a Billiken and hopefully meet some of the players and staff, and lend a small helping hand. 

Look at it this way, you're not giving your money to Chris May.

NextYearBill and JMM28 like this

5 minutes ago, DOC said:

At this point the proper "protest" would be to give to the BVF (or direct NIL causes if you own or control a business marketing budget) and stop giving to SLU via BillikenClub/tickets/etc. A healthy NIL program goes to the guys busting their asses on the court as well as makes the job more appealing when Ford gets fired. 

4 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The number of people who complain about NIL then ***** when the collective does something to raise money is astounding. And the misunderstanding of it is incredible. 

This isn't a SLU event. SLU isn't hosting a $250 practice. The basketball players, contractors of the collective, are hosting an event. The money goes to them. 

They've done the same event for free for 30-40 years. Now only a select few get to pay $250 for said event.  There is no misunderstanding, this is stupid.

I renewed my season tickets, i made my billiken club contribution. I would have much rather given my billiken club funds to BVF instead through this event or something else but when you get 4 days notice you can't do both. If BVF had been actively working the past few they would have my money. 

billiken_roy likes this

Just now, thetorch said:

They've done the same event for free for 30-40 years. Now only a select few get to pay $250 for said event.  There is no misunderstanding, this is stupid.

I renewed my season tickets, i made my billiken club contribution. I would have much rather given my billiken club funds to BVF instead through this event or something else but when you get 4 days notice you can't do both. If BVF had been actively working the past few they would have my money. 

It isn't the same event. That is the misunderstanding. This isn't an open practice. This isn't SLU. This is BVF hosting this. I am assuming this is a 50-100 person event where Ford is saying "hey what you see tonight isn't for public consumption"/motherfcking guys when they screwup, the players are hanging out and eating/drinking after with attendees, and getting to know folks. 

I agree that the 4 days notice is weird and that BVF has struggled with any sort of sales pitch/communication/etc though.

31 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The number of people who complain about NIL then ***** when the collective does something to raise money is astounding. And the misunderstanding of it is incredible. 

This isn't a SLU event. SLU isn't hosting a $250 practice. The basketball players, contractors of the collective, are hosting an event. The money goes to them. 

I very seldom agree with you, but this is spot on.  (Like you crave my approval, right? 😀

AGB91 likes this

13 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah access and feeling like an insider is a reason people will pony up the money.  So good idea and maybe late notice but better than nothing.  Also team is undefeated right now so chill with the sub .500.

I have tracked 8 polls that have been released so far.  More will be coming out soon, perhaps this week. The A10 Coach's poll will be interesting, and it is usually wrong.  The preseason #1 pick hasn't won the conference for some time. Dayton was picked #1 last year.  VCU disagreed.  St. B was the pick in 21-22, but Davidson ended up on top.

SLU's poll range is 6 (Blue Ribbon) to 11 (A10 Talk), with the average of 8.50.  You can look at the polls and see division into groups of five by their average selection.  The first group of five are consistent, Dayton, Duquesne, VCU, St. B, and St. J, in various order, followed by SLU, Fordham, GW, Loyola and Mason again in various order, then the final group of 5 being Richmond, Davidson, UMass, Rhody, and LaSalle.

I'd 100% be going to this if I wasn't going to be out of town.  Sounds like a fun, intimate event supporting NIL.  I would expect a few events like this throughout the year.  You can't bash this event while still bashing lack of NIL.  Also hilarious is this boards thoughts on the kick ass new champions center.  I swear if this board won the lottery, it would ***** that it had to pay taxes on it.  Tired of all the negativity and ready to get back to Chaifetz.  

-BVF has not been silent for months

-good on them for trying to do something and this is well said

55 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I at least got this email to my SLU email this morning.  My impression is that this practice is free.

Billiken Nation,

Thank you for your continued support of SLU Basketball.

You are invited to an open practice to preview the 2023-24 SLU Men's Basketball team.  We hope you can join us on Friday, October 20th from 4-6pm in the Pavilion at Chaifetz Arena.

This is your first opportunity to see the Billikens in action.  We are excited about a strong core of returning players such as Academic-All American and sharpshooter Gibson Jimerson, the high-flying duo of TJ Hargrove and Sincere Parker, as well as exciting local talent in Larry Hughes Jr. and Kellen Thames. Additionally, we have an exceptional group of newcomers in Cian Medley, Bruce Zhang, Stef van Bussel, Djordje Curcic, Aboubacar Magassa, Tim Dalger, Brad Ezewiro and Mike Meadows.

We look forward to seeing you on October 20th.

Thank you and Go Billikens!

Time to beat the dead horse.  What's the status on empty suites?  Are they already paid for just not used, or do they really sit vacant?  If they sit vacant, can we offer them to companies in exchange for BVF donations?  

Also thought someone said this, maybe not.  Can we do a 50/50 raffle involving BVF?

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Time to beat the dead horse.  What's the status on empty suites?  Are they already paid for just not used, or do they really sit vacant?  If they sit vacant, can we offer them to companies in exchange for BVF donations?  

Also thought someone said this, maybe not.  Can we do a 50/50 raffle involving BVF?

The NCAA has recently imposed some rules (hardyharhar) about schools being able to give things in exchange for donations to the collective. One of the Texas schools had some scheme where they basically started their own collective under the umbrella of their foundation that led to those changes. Hypothetically the school could do something like that at a very reduced rate to the BVF. 

The 50/50 would *probably* have to go through Learfield as a 'sponsorship' of some variety. Learfield is trying to get their cut of this money too. Having dealt with them on a couple different fronts, I'd put them in "bad company" category just above cable companies.

Louisville's collective did a "flash donation" drive during their game against UND. They announced that it raised about 50k. So less than a dollar per attendee. 

wgstl likes this

13 hours ago, thetorch said:

Paying half of what I pay for season tickets to go to one practice, not sure I can do that.

Then the event isn’t for you. Sounds like it’s drawn interest from a number of other fans. 

Should have been promoted better but sounds like the Billiken fund has heard the criticisms and is trying to be more proactive.

1 hour ago, Scoop said:

I'd 100% be going to this if I wasn't going to be out of town.  Sounds like a fun, intimate event supporting NIL.  I would expect a few events like this throughout the year.  You can't bash this event while still bashing lack of NIL.  Also hilarious is this boards thoughts on the kick ass new champions center.  I swear if this board won the lottery, it would ***** that it had to pay taxes on it.  Tired of all the negativity and ready to get back to Chaifetz.  

Spot on.

AGB91 likes this

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Local man dumps on event he would attend given proper notice - more at 11 

15 minutes ago, gabriel said:

Then the event isn’t for you. Sounds like it’s drawn interest from a number of other fans. 

Should have been promoted better but sounds like the Billiken fund has heard the criticisms and is trying to be more proactive.

They are being reactive. The next event will be proactive. Otherwise, I gotchu. 😎

Yeah, it is nice that the BVF is finally having event to raise money for NIL.  That said..............

The BVF is a mess and at this point it should be blown up and replaced.

First off, why was this event top secret until yesterday?  The statement makes it clear that certain people could have got a ticket before yesterday.  Are the unwashed in Billiken fandom not worthy of a chance to chip in until the ticket sales among the select clique were less than hoped for?  If a collective at SLU is really going to work it needs to raise money from as many people as possible.  It is going to completely fail if it in anyway feels like a clique of select people. This event isn't the biggest problem with the BVF.

The biggest problem with the BVF is they have not been driving home a message of who they are and what their goals are .  They rarely ever communicate to potential donors and when they do they don't tell people a reason to give or what kind of impact they hope to have on the program with the money they collect.  They have made one post about the BVF philosophy and it is a complete mess.  

The BVF philosophy has nothing in it about high school recruits.  This is one area they should have clear plan that they are driving home hard because being in Missouri gives them an advantage that only 4 other programs in the country have a chance to exploit.  The lack of anything being publicly done to raise money for high school recruits as we close in on signing day is ridiculous.  People are more likely to give when they think the money could have a quick impact.  Currently it appears that the BVF has no interest in raising money to sign incoming high school players to NIL deals.

Graduates first. Min two years with program. Financial support via private donations to collective.  This may sound nice, but it is an idiotic number one priority if your goal is to have a winning basketball program.  It, also, leaves people with the belief (maybe correct or not) that this is the only place direct donations not connected to a fund raising event go.  Loved Yuri and Fred, but that is not my first priority if I want dollars raised to have an impact on the court going forward.  How is that supposed to get fans excited about giving?

Current players supported via NIL deals. **.  What are the asterisks for?  Are the NIL deals through BVF or deals the players need to hustle to set up on their own? Why only support current players through outside NIL deals when you can raise money in the collective and sign players to NIL deals?  If the BVF is going to sign current players to NIL deals,  I would be interested in kicking in some money in the hopes of keeping around someone like Jimerson for another year and I am sure there are other average Joe fans that would, too. It just doesn't appear to me that any donation to BVF is going to help keep current players here.

Transfer players supported via fundraising events. This just announced event would seem to fit the bill for that.  This is the first fundraising event your average fan has had a chance to contribute to.  They might have had other, but they really don't seem interested in dealing with the general Billiken fandom.  Might have made more sense to start these events when BVF made their announcement back in May, A time when the transfer window was open and we obviously needed more money.  It is, also, a time people are more likely to give because they believe that the money can have an instant impact on the program.

Why are there silos that money goes into that limits what players that money can go to?  Is placing handcuffs on yourself the best way to operate in a rapidly changing environment?  Why have we had months of radio silence from the BVF?  Why at this point is our collective still a complete mess?  Why would anyone right now feel that their money that they give to BVF is going to be used in a way that will actually help the program?

Im having a hard time seeing the problem here.

Any fundraising they do it good in my books. 
I think they should be holding trivia nights, mouse races, auctions, any thing that brings in money is a plus.

Hell I say get a bunch of former Billikens and enter them in the World Dodge Ball tournament! 
Peter La Fleur and his band of misfits won 5 millions bucks doing that. 
I’m pretty sure a team of Cody Ellis, Erwin Clagget, Kevin Footes, John Duff, and Dwayne Polk would smoke Average Joes Gym. 

willie likes this

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Im having a hard time seeing the problem here.

Any fundraising they do it good in my books. 
I think they should be holding trivia nights, mouse races, auctions, any thing that brings in money is a plus.

Down for a lemonade stand.