Welcome Mike Meadows II

johnbj14

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of combo guards and we need more experience in the backcourt, so if we weren't going to get a big like Dandrige, this was a good pivot. I'd rather go this route than take a flier on another foreign big or a project.

Unfortunately, this is EXACTLY the kind of player we needed LAST year to round out the roster to help the backcourt. Instead, we got Daniel Rivera.

6 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

2 time transfer???  So now SLU have 2 key players who might have to sit a year, right?  Or is he a grad transfer?

Grad transfer, so he's good to go.

24 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

2 time transfer???  So now SLU have 2 key players who might have to sit a year, right?  Or is he a grad transfer?

Grad transfer, so no concern. For reference, he is a class of 2018 kid (Yuri was 2019 for comparison). He redshirted before playing 2 seasons at Eastern Washington and then played 2 seasons at Portland. I would note that Eastern Washington was quite good in the two seasons he played for them making the tournament in his 2nd season and heading into their conference tournament as the #1 seed before the postseason was cancelled the season before. He would have played with the Groves kids who gave KU all they could handle in the opening round of the tournament in 2021 (they had some other guys leading the charge the season before that ended in March, a team that we beat 82-60). A bit streaky, but solid numbers overall with a couple of really big games this past season (39 against Santa Clara on 14-22 shooting and 29 against Loyola Marymount on 11-18 shooting). He has also dealt with some injuries over the past two seasons (looks like back and hamstring). As ACE posted, this has been a position of need, so to get a player like this on August 9th is hard to complain about. His activity since the season ended (entered the transfer portal, committed to LMU, decommitted from LMU, committed to Cal, withdrew from Cal after the summer, and now committed to SLU) is a bit unique, but you aren't getting kids at this point without some questions.

cgeldmacher likes this

8 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Well if anything, the season should be interesting watching the young bigs try to handle the center/big position on the team.  Great opportunity for the young guys.  Hopefully one or two step up big-time.

And I am glad we brought in a veteran guard to prevent everything falling on Medley at the lead guard position. Not that I don't think he will be a solid player for us, but it is nice for him to have a veteran to compete with and learn from, taking some of the pressure off of him as he adjusts to the college game.

Regardless of last season’s results, this was going to be a major rebuilding off-season.

This looks like a fairly solid group of newbies.   I am willing to watch this team evolve this coming season. Even the blue bloods need time for their 5 star recruits to gel.  

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

46/38/78 shooting splits and first triple-double in Portland history. 

I don't want to dump too much cold water here, but that triple-double was against DIII Willamette University.  Meadow's assist numbers are pretty pedestrian for a guy billed as a combo guard, so I'd call him more of a SG.

At first I was thinking this may be Rashad Williams part II - late arriving transfer 6-2 SG with 2 prior stops at lower level schools who shoots decent, but not great efficiency from 3pt range.  That assessment is wrong though.  Williams was just a volume 3pt shooter with little else to offer.  Meadows appears to have a more well rounded game even if nothing in particular stands out (aside from FT shooting).  On paper, Meadows appears better suited for a more limited / complementary role than Williams ever was.  Portland had a bad record in a tough WCC, but wasn't horrible (only 157 per KenPom) like some of the teams our other transfers have come from (cough Tulsa 316 cough).

As others have said, beggars can't be choosers for scholarship players in August.  He's a good get as a depth piece, but likely not a difference maker.  If taking minutes away from Parker, Hughes or Thames next season & we're a 150ish team, I'm not really sure what the plan is.