Chris Harriman - Returns to SLU as Assistant Coach

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Incredible how this went from a lowkey mention of “what’s Chris Harriman upto?” to “Chris Harriman to SLU a done deal.” 

It is a really good hire for multiple reasons. I am not going to act like he is Phil Jackson, but it is the kind of move that hopefully can get everyone working on the same page again.  Hopefully it will really kickstart a resurgence in Australian recruiting where we should have a couple advantages outside of just Harriman and the former players in the NIL world. 

I really like this hire.

billikenfan05 likes this

The Australian NBL pays well and you can get to the NBA from there, we're seeing some top recruits going direct to NBL. 

So maybe that connection can help.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is a really good hire for multiple reasons. I am not going to act like he is Phil Jackson, but it is the kind of move that hopefully can get everyone working on the same page again.  Hopefully it will really kickstart a resurgence in Australian recruiting where we should have a couple advantages outside of just Harriman and the former players in the NIL world. 

I really like this hire.

I really like this hire based on two things: a long career as an assistant coach and just being a completely fresh face. 

8 minutes ago, willie said:

Seems like Billiken Bob and Billikenswin were right on. Everyone seems pleased. 

This hire sucks. The only reason he is coming here is because no other schools wanted him. 
And BTW Fosters sucks too!! 

Just kidding. I think this is a great fit. It’s just really weird seeing the board completely agree with something so I wanted to change it up. 

That said I’m serious about Fosters. It’s not very good. 

I did not think we could afford Chris Harriman with what 10 more years experience. SLU had great players and returned Lisch, Conklin, and Jordair Jet to the Aussies- 

i am on board

From his bio on the Cal basketball site:

Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander named Harriman one of the “Top 5 Up-and-Coming Division I Assistants” on CBS Sports, with Norlander writing, “Few guys have the international networking and contacts like Harriman. He’s the long-term valuable hire, the guy who finds the gem buried under 20 feet of mud.” Additionally, national basketball insider Jeff Goodman named Harriman one of the top three international recruiters in Division I college basketball.

49 minutes ago, willie said:

Seems like Billiken Bob and Billikenswin were right on. Everyone seems pleased. 

im not the big harriman fan.   and the player ace talks about above, doesnt consider himself a big wants to be a wing.  just what we would need more wings.  lets just play 5 out.   wait that would mean we would run and press all the time likely.   do you really think that would happen?   

aj_arete likes this

Does Harriman recruit Europe or just Australia/NZ? He hasn't recruited a player from down under who has averaged double digits since Loe/Ellis.  The teams he's been with has had a few good euro players, but wasn't sure if he recruited them.