Chris Harriman - Returns to SLU as Assistant Coach

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Does Harriman recruit Europe or just Australia/NZ? He hasn't recruited a player from down under who has averaged double digits since Loe/Ellis.  The teams he's been with has had a few good euro players, but wasn't sure if he recruited them. 

He recruits Europe, too.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Does Harriman recruit Europe or just Australia/NZ? He hasn't recruited a player from down under who has averaged double digits since Loe/Ellis.  The teams he's been with has had a few good euro players, but wasn't sure if he recruited them. 

Also, Tai Webster averaged 10.1 as Jr. and 17 as a senior at Nebraska

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Also, Tai Webster averaged 10.1 as Jr. and 17 as a senior at Nebraska

I was trying to remember Webster's name - good call - he was a nice player. He also recruited Makuach Maluach (great name) to New Mexico - he averaged nearly 11 ppg for his four-year career including 15ppg his senior season.

brianstl likes this

Just now, ACE said:

I was trying to remember Webster's name - good call - he was a nice player. He also recruited Makuach Maluach (great name) to New Mexico - he averaged nearly 11 ppg for his four-year career including 15ppg his senior season.

Webster was a really nice player.

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

im not the big harriman fan.   and the player ace talks about above, doesnt consider himself a big wants to be a wing.  just what we would need more wings.  lets just play 5 out.   wait that would mean we would run and press all the time likely.   do you really think that would happen?   

Not sure you would like anyone not named John Wooden or Paul Westhead. 

Schasz likes this

16 minutes ago, willie said:

actually i never liked westhead.  that slicked back hair really made him seem kinda slimy.  

17 minutes ago, willie said:

actually i never liked westhead.  that slicked back hair really made him seem kinda slimy.  

look i am not opposed to just about anyone at this point.   my gosh, if the guy has experience regardless of swings and misses, it is better than nothing.   we are in a vital short time block we need someone working.   but to say i will be overjoyed about this particular hiring as we were led to believe by our two esteemed mbm's not overjoyed accepting or satisfied would be a better word.  

I like the hire. He brings strong international recruiting that we currently don't have and he knows the Billikens really well, so he can get situated and hit the ground running.  I'm hoping for an immediate payoff.

8 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I like the hire. He brings strong international recruiting that we currently don't have and he knows the Billikens really well, so he can get situated and hit the ground running.  I'm hoping for an immediate payoff.

so starting with his rickma stint 15 years ago, please show me his strong international recruits that were top division one players.  thanks

Harriman surely had a relationship with AD May from the Majerus years.  Minimally, AD May must have highly recommended Harriman.  Perhaps AD May insisted on some specific coaching adjustments and this is a result.  Regardless of the backdrop,  I like the hire.

willie likes this

33 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Harriman surely had a relationship with AD May from the Majerus years.  Minimally, AD May must have highly recommended Harriman.  Perhaps AD May insisted on some specific coaching adjustments and this is a result.  Regardless of the backdrop,  I like the hire.

If anyone is trying to tell me that all of a sudden 3 staff members decided to seek new opportunities AND we're going to bring back Harriman as an assistant is a giant coincidence, I have a golden Chaifetz Arena seat to sell you.

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

so starting with his rickma stint 15 years ago, please show me his strong international recruits that were top division one players.  thanks

Give us some names that you want SLU to hire for the other assistant opening? Or are you going to cry regardless of who we hire?

3 minutes ago, gabriel said:

Give us some names that you want SLU to hire for the other assistant opening? Or are you going to cry regardless of who we hire?

I just really don't understand the focus on his recruiting. We've spent the entire Travis Ford era yearning for a veteran coach with a fresh perspective on in-game coaching, see Giacoletti and here we are once again obsessing over what recruits he can bring in. 

13 minutes ago, gabriel said:

i'd take larry hughes sr in a second.   i think that is a name and a history that would impress recruits.   

i also think as RU insinuated that Kevin Lisch might be a better fit for an australian hire than Harriman right now as he has a more modern reputation in the country than Harriman does.  

I actually liked Davell Roby and if we are going to have a newbie to groom, i think he was a nice person to bring in.   

Look, i am not opposed to harriman.   i just dont see him as this guaranteed guy we the fan base will be all excited about we were kind of sold by two of our more prominent posters.   we have two open spots and someone is better than no one.  the fact he is indeed an experienced coach that even has head coaching experience counts for something regardless of his less than sparkling record of success.    i just thought for sure we were going to get something more guaranteed and exciting and promising.   

Regarding Harriman's recruiting - I would take another Cody Ellis or Rob Loe. I would also take a Tai Webster, who Harriman was recruiting for us before he left for Nebraska.

I like him better than Forte, who was destined to wind up in Texas.

JMM28 likes this

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

I like him better than Forte, who was destined to wind up in Texas.

again, something is better than nothing i agree.   and we also agree that recruiting the southwest was fruitless for the billikens.   i just think it is a let down from the build up of how billiken fans would love the news.  imo it's Meh.  

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

again, something is better than nothing i agree.   and we also agree that recruiting the southwest was fruitless for the billikens.   i just think it is a let down from the build up of how billiken fans would love the news.  imo it's Meh.  

Roy. You seem to be the only one who doesn't think this is a good hire. If I am Larry Hughes why would I want to give up my current life style to be an assistant coach? If Harriman can get us a new pipeline for a couple of players that' s great. 

8 minutes ago, willie said:

Roy. You seem to be the only one who doesn't think this is a good hire. If I am Larry Hughes why would I want to give up my current life style to be an assistant coach? If Harriman can get us a new pipeline for a couple of players that' s great. 

you wouldnt.   but i was promised i would love this hire.   i would have loved larry hughes.   and the poster asked who i would love as the hire.   i was just answering the question and explaining my unenthused reaction.   again, i dont hate the hire, i just think we could have probably did better.   

imo rickma's success had little to do with his assistants.   he was a one man show imo he used the assistants for less than what most coaching staffs would.   the track record of rickma assistants is less than spectacular.  

pakapablo likes this