Chris Harriman - Returns to SLU as Assistant Coach

22 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Guy has been in college for seven seasons.  Enough is enough.

This is where I know I was wrong and have been surprised (not this extreme case specifically). So many more players have taken advantage of that extra year than I expected. During the tournament I was so surprised to look up players and rosters and see guys on their 2nd/3rd teams and in their 5th season than I imagined would have happened. I didn’t care for the rule when it was announced, but even less so seeing the number of players who have taken advantage of it really limiting the number of scholarships open for kids from the high school ranks. I think the introduction of NIL is likely a significant factor as well. I just think back to my time at SLU and most players seemed ready to move on after four seasons. The elimination of any sort of academic standards is likely a factor as well as it seems clear most “graduate” players aren’t pursuing legitimate academic paths which had become the case years ago, so it becomes a case of truly being like minor league sports. Just interesting to see and counter to my experience in the early 2000s. At least we are getting closer to the free year cycling out and seemingly a more strict adherence to the one free transfer rule going forward.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DOC said:

I think the one transfer rule is crucial for any sanity to this mess. I just don’t see the NCAA upholding the rule. 

i agree plus the years of eligibility and exceptions to transfer penalties have to be standardized.   this no more frequent happening of players being in college for far more than four years and not even getting a degree has to stop.   if they want to reward a student athlete that has performed in the classroom as student athletes are expected getting their degree or at least making positive progress towards such, fine, but something has to change. 

college sports are losing their credibility imo.   if we wanted a professional league of sorts, we would just attend the professional sports that are already established.   

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree plus the years of eligibility and exceptions to transfer penalties have to be standardized.   this no more frequent happening of players being in college for far more than four years and not even getting a degree has to stop.   if they want to reward a student athlete that has performed in the classroom as student athletes are expected getting their degree or at least making positive progress towards such, fine, but something has to change. 

college sports are losing their credibility imo.   if we wanted a professional league of sorts, we would just attend the professional sports that are already established.   

Sorry Roy but money talks.

On 4/25/2023 at 11:35 AM, billiken_roy said:

look i am not opposed to just about anyone at this point.   my gosh, if the guy has experience regardless of swings and misses, it is better than nothing.   we are in a vital short time block we need someone working.   but to say i will be overjoyed about this particular hiring as we were led to believe by our two esteemed mbm's not overjoyed accepting or satisfied would be a better word.  

I tend to hold a similar opinion on this hire.  Ford has to know he is on a short leash so he better be making the right choices - he has little room for error

On 4/25/2023 at 2:14 PM, willie said:

Roy. You seem to be the only one who doesn't think this is a good hire. If I am Larry Hughes why would I want to give up my current life style to be an assistant coach? If Harriman can get us a new pipeline for a couple of players that' s great. 

I am kind of in the same boat as Roy so he is not alone.  This hire - is it just a retread coming back or is it top hire - non of us really know.  I just know it is hard to come home for anybody.  Also, Ford does not have the luxury of having someone build for 2 years out.  He needs I guy who can deal right now and is Harriman the guy - I don't know either way.  Seems like another lets wait and see how it plays out.

I guess you have to start somewhere but last week or two Billiken Bob and Billikenswin echoed similar, positive  sentiments about this hire.  I don't see it.  Maybe when we get some signings attributable to this hire, I'll get excited.  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I guess you have to start somewhere but last week or two Billiken Bob and Billikenswin echoed similar, positive  sentiments about this hire.  I don't see it.  Maybe when we get some signings attributable to this hire, I'll get excited.  

My thought is that but the opposite side, I love Forte and Bailey but I haven’t seen it. Where in their coaching stops have they gotten a huge signing or been attributed to a big win/coaching prowess? Again I think they are both great people but not sure why people are putting them above Harriman, not saying Harriman is the best coach ever either but think he has had more experience than both Bailey and Forte.

billikenbill likes this

1. Bailey

2. Harriman 

3. Forte

If I were to rank the coaches. Harriman success here was great but Majerus was a huge factor. Bailey has the player development skillset we most need. If Ford listens to Harriman, it would make a big difference. Forte had the highest upside

The one thing I tend to like about Harriman (beyond the resume/experience gap) vs. Forte is that I didn’t think Forte’s roots/recruiting efforts in Texas and Oklahoma were likely to be overly fruitful at SLU playing in the A-10. I like that Harriman has proven to be successful identifying and landing International players which could be a recruiting area we could have more success with (and obviously he landed key pieces like Loe and Ellis, Tai Webster at Nebraska, Makuach Maluach at UNM, and while Cal was brutal they certainly have an International presence on their roster) than heavily recruited areas like Texas or Oklahoma where kids and their families grow up following programs and conferences religiously that does not include SLU and the A-10. Plus, Ford likely has similar roots and ties to that region thru being from western Kentucky and playing/coaching in the Big 8/SEC/Big 12 just not as strong in Texas where the chances for success are low. Harriman has a legit resume and is certainly a very qualified assistant coach, we will see how he meshes with Ford and company. I would have no way of knowing his capabilities with respect to player development or x's and o's, but I'd take someone outside of the Ford tree who worked under Majerus and saw his method. I have sometimes questioned the IQ and work ethic of our coaching staffs under Ford, Harriman is not a guy I have any questions about. It would be interesting for Pistol and others who follow recruiting to see if they can find dudes he was recruiting at Cal who we could get involved with over the next year. I saw someone post about Kuany Kuany having a younger brother who is a big time prospect in Australia.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Matter of opinion - give me the cites that support your position.  I have not taken a position either way.

Agree. I’m completely Indifferent on the hire. I’ll decide in a couple years. It’s the same way I would judge any assistant coach hire. 

I’m willing to bet Cal fans aren’t super upset he’s moving on.

thatskablamo likes this

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

The one thing I tend to like about Harriman (beyond the resume/experience gap) vs. Forte is that I didn’t think Forte’s roots/recruiting efforts in Texas and Oklahoma were likely to be overly fruitful at SLU playing in the A-10. I like that Harriman has proven to be successful identifying and landing International players which could be a recruiting area we could have more success with (and obviously he landed key pieces like Loe and Ellis, Tai Webster at Nebraska, Makuach Maluach at UNM, and while Cal was brutal they certainly have an International presence on their roster) than heavily recruited areas like Texas or Oklahoma where kids and their families grow up following programs and conferences religiously that does not include SLU and the A-10. Plus, Ford likely has similar roots and ties to that region thru being from western Kentucky and playing/coaching in the Big 8/SEC/Big 12 just not as strong in Texas where the chances for success are low. Harriman has a legit resume and is certainly a very qualified assistant coach, we will see how he meshes with Ford and company. I would have no way of knowing his capabilities with respect to player development or x's and o's, but I'd take someone outside of the Ford tree who worked under Majerus and saw his method. I have sometimes questioned the IQ and work ethic of our coaching staffs under Ford, Harriman is not a guy I have any questions about. It would be interesting for Pistol and others who follow recruiting to see if they can find dudes he was recruiting at Cal who we could get involved with over the next year. I saw someone post about Kuany Kuany having a younger brother who is a big time prospect in Australia.

Kuany has a 2024 brother (Kiir) who is just starting to get D-I offers. He's at a prep school in Ohio and playing with Indy Heat on the EYBL this spring/summer. The youngest one (Mading) might be the real prize, though. Looks really impressive on video for a 2026 (or 2027?) prospect. He's not over here yet.

When I get a little time, I'm hoping to transition out the Forte recruits from our interest lists and add in the Harriman ones. Haven't gotten that far yet.

billikenblue likes this

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Kuany has a 2024 brother (Kiir) who is just starting to get D-I offers. He's at a prep school in Ohio and playing with Indy Heat on the EYBL this spring/summer. The youngest one (Mading) might be the real prize, though. Looks really impressive on video for a 2026 (or 2027?) prospect. He's not over here yet.

When I get a little time, I'm hoping to transition out the Forte recruits from our interest lists and add in the Harriman ones. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Mading might stay in Australia until college. He his involved in the program intended to produce national team players for Australia.

Pistol likes this

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

Agree. I’m completely Indifferent on the hire. I’ll decide in a couple years. It’s the same way I would judge any assistant coach hire. 

I’m willing to bet Cal fans aren’t super upset he’s moving on.

There are Cal basketball fans?

https://soundcloud.com/billikenpodcast/chrisharriman?si=d874d9a4bd174cf0b058103cebd89122&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Nice short podcast with May and Harriman.  Avery is doing fine, he is 16 years old, healthy and happy.  He is in HS now. 

Harriman thinks he can 'fit in the deck' anywhere.  This will be his 19th season in coaching.

Harriman was involved with Jordair Jett's recruitment.  He went to see him at Notre Dame Prep, and was very quite. Brought him to the campus and he gave them no indication of his intentions.  Jett along with others have reached out to Harriman.  In his first 8 days they have had 5 visits, with another one today, and another one tomorrow.  

Going to Pappy's when the family gets here.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:26 PM, HoosierPal said:

This guy might be a grandfather before he exits college ball.

Cal guard DeJuan Clayton is entering the transfer portal, per a source. Clayton began his college career in 2016-17, playing parts of five seasons at Coppin State. He played two games at Hartford in 21-22 and eight games for Cal in 22-23. He averaged 9.2PPG, 2.9APG and 1.9RPG last season.

Here is a Sports Illustrated article on Clayton

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/04/27/college-basketball-dejuan-claytonmeet-eighth-year-of-eligibility

He’d join a very small group of college athletes to play for eight years and appears to be the first basketball player ever to play in eight different seasons, assuming he finds a landing spot for the 2023–24 season.

An AARP application is included in the article.  😀

20 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is a Sports Illustrated article on Clayton

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/04/27/college-basketball-dejuan-claytonmeet-eighth-year-of-eligibility

He’d join a very small group of college athletes to play for eight years and appears to be the first basketball player ever to play in eight different seasons, assuming he finds a landing spot for the 2023–24 season.

An AARP application is included in the article.  😀

People my age shouldn't still be playing 😅😅