Transfers - 2023

ACE

10 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

There is no hard proof, just someone who knows a guy who knows a guy who heard from an anonymous source that it was six figures. Feel free to make up any amount of money you want, no one will prove you wrong.

I guess my counterpoint would be that no one can prove that isn’t the case either. There are large sums of money being thrown around at the mid major level, but hard numbers aren’t ever going to be revealed, except through the BVF tax returns according to Troy’s radio interview from launch day. 

JMM28 likes this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Why would a backup big man from Memphis be looking at six figures?  Do we have any hard proof of what that tier of player makes in the NIL era?

I certainly do not. There have been some articles that laid out a range of what guys were likely earning thru NIL and assuming programs like Michigan and West Virginia were in fact looking at him as a backup and us looking at him as a starter, I just assumed he would be receiving six figure offers. I obviously have no way of knowing. I am not finding the article that I remembered reading that showed the range (by role too with regards to starter vs. role player vs. bench player), so me saying $100k is now completely baseless.

31 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I guess my counterpoint would be that no one can prove that isn’t the case either. There are large sums of money being thrown around at the mid major level, but hard numbers aren’t ever going to be revealed, except through the BVF tax returns according to Troy’s radio interview from launch day. 

Very true. Feel to believe the numbers if you want, I can’t prove it isn’t true, not even going to try.

Thanks for your honesty.  Here's one of the articles that probably gets thrown around.  As a point of reference 24/7 doesn't list Dandridge among the 150 top transfers:

https://www.wvnews.com/bluegoldnews/nil-compensation-data-puts-numbers-to-speculation/article_689b9db2-0958-11ee-89a6-07d56b9807df.html

Hosted by the Student-Athlete NIL along with title partner INFLCR, the Summit made news in a variety of ways, but maybe the most interesting information that came out was the amount of NIL money the average student-athlete is making in today’s world.

As in football, high-level transfers in men’s basketball also typically garner a great deal of NIL.

• Top 10 rated transfers – $500,000

• Top 25 rated transfers – $350,000

• Top 50 rated transfers – $250,000

• Top 100 rated transfers – $100,000

• Top 150 rated transfers – $50,000

These numbers are averages, so individual amounts may vary, but when the topic of NIL compensation, this information provides a good database for that conversation.

JMM28 likes this

39 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Very true. Feel to believe the numbers if you want, I can’t prove it isn’t true, not even going to try.

For what it’s worth, some transparency with NIL is coming at some point. Whether through NCAA decree or a number of proposed, or close to being proposed, federal bills, eventually there will be some deals that have to be publicized. 

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

For what it’s worth, some transparency with NIL is coming at some point. Whether through NCAA decree or a number of proposed, or close to being proposed, federal bills, eventually there will be some deals that have to be publicized. 

-how can what someone is paid through a contractual relationship with a private entity become a matter of public record? it would be fascinating to see details on NIL deals and perhaps stomach turning

20 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-how can what someone is paid through a contractual relationship with a private entity become a matter of public record? it would be fascinating to see details on NIL deals and perhaps stomach turning

I believe some Federal law regarding NIL is coming, the SEC commissioner called for it, the NCAA is calling for it, and any number of congressmen and senators will take his call and the calls of the SEC presidents and college/basketball coaches. So the SEC and NCAA will get what they can live with, which is a single standard for everyone. Whether or not the NCAA and all the major conferences want the details of NIL deals to become public is another matter. Obviously other groups will want other things in whatever legislation gets through. Personally I would love to see the details on every player on every team posted every year, and when the deals are made, but I’m not holding my breath on that.

Well, the next dead period begins tomorrow, anyone hearing anything on Dandridge? I’m starting to think 3star’s option that I know I had not considered is part of the decision (do I even want to go to a new school to play another year of college basketball?).

Penny was talking with the Memphis paper( article today Commerical Appeal),said they will talk with Mr. Dandridge when the Tigers get back from the Dominican Republic .

Possibly a return to Memphis?? 

This has been very strange 

TheChosenOne likes this

2 hours ago, BLIKNS said:

Penny was talking with the Memphis paper( article today Commerical Appeal),said they will talk with Mr. Dandridge when the Tigers get back from the Dominican Republic .

Possibly a return to Memphis?? 

This has been very strange 

Shades of Sodie and the guy who ended up going to Iowa even when they had no coach.  He was loath to come here and apparently Dandridge is also.  How did that story end for SLU

Jon Rothstein out there working as Dandridge’s agent hahaha. This and the comment from Penny (and thank you both for posting) seems like the first news concerning Dandridge since it was reported he was receiving interest from Michigan which was a while back. I don’t particularly care if we land him at this point, but damn I’m locked in to see how this one ends (like so many shows or movies my wife watches where I begin passively watching and then end up getting invested in despite having little enjoyment of the program).

55 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Shades of Sodie and the guy who ended up going to Iowa even when they had no coach.  He was loath to come here and apparently Dandridge is also.  How did that story end for SLU

Damn.  This is a good memory.  What was that guys name again. 

More on Silverio's denial.  @billiken_roy, please do not read.  This is from the Field of 68 Daily. 

If you click the link on 'hoop players trying to get waivers', you get a dated list of about 40.  Ezewiro isn't on that list, nor is  Haynes from George Mason.  Last I saw, the A10 had 5 transfers on the two timer list.  I wonder how many of these players put extra effort into summer school in an attempt to graduate, and thereby not needing a waiver.  

1. Omar Silverio denied waiver to play for WVU

With less than three months before the start of the 2023-24 season, it’s crunch time for pending waiver requests for multi-time transfers (who aren’t graduate transfers). Omar Silverio learned Thursday that his request didn’t go in his favor.

tw profile: Omar Silverio

Omar Silverio @OmarSilverio15

tw

i was very excited , my family was very excited this was a life changing opportunity and  I hate the fact that some people were not supporting this process, only if they knew how good of a person I am😔 Sometimes we don’t know how to keep going but somehow we still do🙏🏼

Aug 11, 2023

spacer.gif

311 Likes   20 Retweets   25 Replies

Silverio last played at Hofstra during the 2021-22 season, averaging 10.9 ppg. He transferred to Manhattan after that but never played there. He went to West Virginia (along with Jose Perez) after Manhattan fired coach Steve Masiello just before the start of the 2022-23 season.

Silverio is one of the dozens of college hoop players reportedly trying to get a waiver from the NCAA. However, the NCAA made waves earlier this week by denying a pair of football players a waiver. (There have been plenty of critics of that decision, but considering there are plenty of critics of the current state of the portal, there probably isn’t an ideal path.)

But one thing is clear, the NCAA was serious when it said they were clamping down on two-time transfers obtaining waivers. Silverio didn’t get his and now his college career might be over. West Virginia is still awaiting news on Montana State transfer ReaQuan Battle’s waiver decision unless he finds a way to graduate this summer.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

More on Silverio's denial.  @billiken_roy, please do not read.  This is from the Field of 68 Daily. 

If you click the link on 'hoop players trying to get waivers', you get a dated list of about 40.  Ezewiro isn't on that list, nor is  Haynes from George Mason.  Last I saw, the A10 had 5 transfers on the two timer list.  I wonder how many of these players put extra effort into summer school in an attempt to graduate, and thereby not needing a waiver.  

1. Omar Silverio denied waiver to play for WVU

With less than three months before the start of the 2023-24 season, it’s crunch time for pending waiver requests for multi-time transfers (who aren’t graduate transfers). Omar Silverio learned Thursday that his request didn’t go in his favor.

tw profile: Omar Silverio

Omar Silverio @OmarSilverio15

tw

i was very excited , my family was very excited this was a life changing opportunity and  I hate the fact that some people were not supporting this process, only if they knew how good of a person I am😔 Sometimes we don’t know how to keep going but somehow we still do🙏🏼

Aug 11, 2023

spacer.gif

311 Likes   20 Retweets   25 Replies

Silverio last played at Hofstra during the 2021-22 season, averaging 10.9 ppg. He transferred to Manhattan after that but never played there. He went to West Virginia (along with Jose Perez) after Manhattan fired coach Steve Masiello just before the start of the 2022-23 season.

Silverio is one of the dozens of college hoop players reportedly trying to get a waiver from the NCAA. However, the NCAA made waves earlier this week by denying a pair of football players a waiver. (There have been plenty of critics of that decision, but considering there are plenty of critics of the current state of the portal, there probably isn’t an ideal path.)

But one thing is clear, the NCAA was serious when it said they were clamping down on two-time transfers obtaining waivers. Silverio didn’t get his and now his college career might be over. West Virginia is still awaiting news on Montana State transfer ReaQuan Battle’s waiver decision unless he finds a way to graduate this summer.

I think that sooner or later someone takes the NCAA to court over this, while I predict it will happen I am not sure what the outcome will be. Certainly the one who takes them to court won’t be the one benefits because of the time a lawsuit takes, but maybe future players will.

Unless, of course, Congress gets involved and along with NIL rules, they fit this in as well.

Short term, looks like no Brad Ezewiro eligibility this year.

Don’t shoot the messenger…

33 minutes ago, shempie said:

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the coaches know Ezewiro will be denied and there will be another scholarship available and Dandridge is still in play. Difficult to like what collge sports are turning into. 

If Ezewiro is denied, his scholarship isn’t open unless he leaves the school. He would just be a redshirt and still count against the limit. 

On 8/10/2023 at 9:28 AM, HoosierPal said:

NCAA cracking down on Football two time transfers.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38163792/ncaa-says-waiver-criteria-2-transfers-tightened-new-policy

One player never played a game at school #1 and the second player wanted to be closer to his mom.

The player that's a 2x transfer that never played a down being denied is so dumb. 

The NCAA needs to go away.  This rule is so dumb.  The organization is dying and trying to flex.  I'm in Indy today I'll stop by and work on the Ezewiro transfer.