GDT: Uh, we do have a game tonight

slu72

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Pickett get too many minutes? Some think he should never see the court.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:23 AM,  dennis_w said: 

pickett has been playing hurt for most of conference play, i think last night showed he is getting well, i guess haters will hate. i enjoyed the win go bills

If that post qualifies me as a “hater” then I guess I’m a hater of anyone I’ve ever mildly criticized.  

Pickett has single-handedly cost this team games within conference play with his head-down bulldozing drives into bigger and stronger defenders, lack of passing, and turnovers.  The team is much better when he’s not on the floor.  There, that’s hating. 

2 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

pickett has been playing hurt for most of conference play, i think last night showed he is getting well, i guess haters will hate. i enjoyed the win go bills

If that post qualifies me as a “hater” then I guess I’m a hater of anyone I’ve ever mildly criticized.  

Pickett has single-handedly cost this team games within conference play with his head-down bulldozing drives into bigger and stronger defenders, lack of passing, and turnovers.  The team is much better when he’s not on the floor.  There, that’s hating. 

Tonight he definitely was needed on the floor .... he played an excellent game.

10 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

Probably not, we just stuck with what was working offensively tonight. 

CTF said the game plan was to drive it, drive it, and drive it some more. Props to coach for the strategy as it worked.

We had 70 points in the paint tonight, Duq. had 20. In the words of Inspector Gadget, “Wowzers!”

4 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

if pickett stays on the bench the billikens would have boat raced the dukes

Abstaining from GDT threads is absolutely the way to go.  It is then so much fun to read.s them before posting (especially if we win). 

Frankly, this game scared me.  I mean it's Duquesne.  The second coming of an A10 doormat (right behind Fordham).  Stuck in front of the critical three game closing kick with Richmond, VCU and Dayton (better not sleep of Loyola either).  Trap game?  At home?  Maybe.  The Dukes had three guys launch at least seven threes apiece.  Gunn, coming off the bench, launched eight.  That's what they do ---- speed you up so they can run and gun.  Outside of Gunn, their bench contributed four lousy points.  They live and die by speed in a guard-oriented lineup.  Dambrot is doing wonders.  Of course, Grant and Reece are done after this year and it all starts over.

And they ran out house on fire in that first half.  Down 15, I had hoped to cut it to 4 or 5 by half.  We cut it to two.  Without a three.  They were weak defensively down the middle and if that was Travis' game plan, bravo.  They blocked two shots, one being a Yuri tree drive late.  Otherwise, they had no defense.  I loved Jimerson taking Brewer to the hole time and time again.  Not too happy leaving 10 points on the foul line and I believe two more were left with missed front ends by Jimerson and Okoro.  We persevered and that is two down with two to go in my four game run to a top four.  Fordham losing today was good.  Duquesne is now two games back in the loss column and a third counting the head-to-head tiebreaker.  

Hughes has what it takes defensively.  Can't draw a goose egg when shooting FTs, especially three, however.  The late runs to me are a combination of the slow down offense late coupled with an inability to inbound the ball after a made basket facing a press.  I used to call some former Billiken lineups 'lunch pail teams" and so it goes with this one.  The pattern seems to be build a lead/lose a major portion of it/hold on for dear life.  

We seem to already be in Brooklyn.  Win and move on.  Now we need to face a Richmond team down on its luck.  With the Mooney news, do they come out fired up to win one for the Gipper or play their usual 'Burton and hope' game.  

For those of you who ridiculed me for saying in December younger Hughes should play more, all I have to say is younger Hughes should play more 

Sure jimerson had his most points in a game in his college career, and okoro had his best game of the year,but it was Hughes shutting down Clark at the end of the game, hitting the big pull up jumper, a couple of huge steals, a couple of big rebounds, key double plays when the dukes would try to drive.   Down the stretch, I say Larry Hughes Jr was the difference 

Just now, billiken_roy said:

For those of you who ridiculed me for saying in December younger Hughes should play more, all I have to say is younger Hughes should play more 

Sure jimerson had his most points in a game in his college career, and okoro had his best game of the year,but it was Hughes shutting down Clark at the end of the game, hitting the big pull up jumper, a couple of huge steals, a couple of big rebounds, key double plays when the dukes would try to drive.   Down the stretch, I say Larry Hughes Jr was the difference 

lhj's defense and pickett's 15 pts were the difference, got to give credit to the dukes  most of their threes were guarded and they still made them, on to richmond

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'll take young Hughes for his defense.  The rest remains a work in progress.  He is the shining light as far as bench play is concerned.  His defense and Pickett's offense.

yes, offense will come as he gets stronger, his defensive fundamentals are outstanding

47 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'll take young Hughes for his defense.  The rest remains a work in progress.  He is the shining light as far as bench play is concerned.  His defense and Pickett's offense.

I feel he’s exactly what we need to change the season around. We’ve tried the 4 offense-only players plus Okoro trading isolation plays.  That strategy sucked. 

LH Jr makes winning plays kind of like Goodwin did. 

play the kid 30+ mins. 

The Don and billiken_roy like this

7 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:
10 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I feel he’s exactly what we need to change the season around. We’ve tried the 4 offense-only players plus Okoro trading isolation plays.  That strategy sucked. 

LH Jr makes winning plays kind of like Goodwin did. 

play the kid 30+ mins. 

Really like what Hughes brought to the game (missed ft’s can’t be ignored). He deserves to play in the 2nd half of games. As far as minutes Yuri 35, GJ 35, Hughes 30+ means Perkins and Parker split 20. Most nights I’d give the 30 to Parker and split the rest between Hughes and Perkins. 

2 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Should we be concerned that we hit only 1-3 pointer or we only attempted 6?

No!  The coach and the team executed a game plan that allowed us to win close in and in the paint. They pivoted when they needed to. I am ecstatic about the fact that this team performed when and how they needed to, in the manner in which they needed to win.  And, they did it when the opposing team shot from the three in a manner that was clearly an anomaly.  Most teams would have folded in these circumstances.  This was a great win heading into the end of the season. Let’s enjoy it, and celebrate it for what it was.

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

At this point, if you have active hands on defense you need minutes. LHJ showed just that. I’m 100% confident if LHJ had picketts minutes in the Fordham game, we win that. 

I’d agree with that.  Especially because CF was using Pickett like a point guard that game.