GDT: Uh, we do have a game tonight

slu72

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

There's a number of reasons, not excuses but actual reasons why this hasn't been "the year." First is "The Year" was based on Perkins returning to his previous form or even being a little better. While he's shown flashes, he's nowhere near the player he was at he end of '21. I recall the UMass game in the A-10 tournament when he was unguardable and making plays on the defensive end which were eye-popping. I remember a blocked shot at the rim where I was amazed at how athletic he looked on the play. The combination of a slower than hoped recovery from the knee along with the ankle problem have kept him from being the dynamic force we expected.

A second reason is that who would've expected it to take 27 games for Franco to look like the Franco of last year. Against Duq. he looked like a man among boys with the way he dominated the glass and contributed with scoring. Unfortunately, prior to that, he's commited unnecessary fouls and hasn't developed reliable post moves. Can he sustain the progress shown Saturday? Let's hope so. It would also be helpful if he could return to last year's mid-70s FT percentage. He's at 60% now and trending down.

Third, we believed we would have a good shooting team this year, able to approach or achieve 40% from the arc as a team (right now we're at 35%) and shooting in the high 70s from the FT line (currently 73.1%.) Neither of those have happened as we completely blew two games, Auburn and SIUE, at the line. Two wins there and we're in the bubble discussion.

I've been just as frustrated with this season as anyone and wondered if Ford should be on the hot seat. At this point, I've jumped off the "Fire Ford" bandwagon and figure he's safe for at least two more years. I can see a scenario where Jimerson, Parker, and TJ return, we have some success in the portal, the current freshman are able to contribute, and next year being a good one. Let's start the momentum by getting at least 3 of the next 4 and winning the tourney. At the moment, it seems possible.

Good stuff here.

43 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

There's a number of reasons, not excuses but actual reasons why this hasn't been "the year." First is "The Year" was based on Perkins returning to his previous form or even being a little better. While he's shown flashes, he's nowhere near the player he was at he end of '21. I recall the UMass game in the A-10 tournament when he was unguardable and making plays on the defensive end which were eye-popping. I remember a blocked shot at the rim where I was amazed at how athletic he looked on the play. The combination of a slower than hoped recovery from the knee along with the ankle problem have kept him from being the dynamic force we expected.

A second reason is that who would've expected it to take 27 games for Franco to look like the Franco of last year. Against Duq. he looked like a man among boys with the way he dominated the glass and contributed with scoring. Unfortunately, prior to that, he's commited unnecessary fouls and hasn't developed reliable post moves. Can he sustain the progress shown Saturday? Let's hope so. It would also be helpful if he could return to last year's mid-70s FT percentage. He's at 60% now and trending down.

Third, we believed we would have a good shooting team this year, able to approach or achieve 40% from the arc as a team (right now we're at 35%) and shooting in the high 70s from the FT line (currently 73.1%.) Neither of those have happened as we completely blew two games, Auburn and SIUE, at the line. Two wins there and we're in the bubble discussion.

I've been just as frustrated with this season as anyone and wondered if Ford should be on the hot seat. At this point, I've jumped off the "Fire Ford" bandwagon and figure he's safe for at least two more years. I can see a scenario where Jimerson, Parker, and TJ return, we have some success in the portal, the current freshman are able to contribute, and next year being a good one. Let's start the momentum by getting at least 3 of the next 4 and winning the tourney. At the moment, it seems possible.

This is a great post. I am still in the camp of wishing his seat was hotter but this gives me hope going forward when Ford is retained. well done! 

slufanskip and almaman like this

11 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Big Bill fan has the honor of being the only person I have on Ignore. Big bill hates himself but feels the need to take it out on everyone else in every single one of his posts which are filled with nothing but ad hominems and an incredible amount of anger. No one needs that toxicity. 

Hmm...BBF has the "honor" of being on your ignore list yet you feel compelled to post about him? 🤔 The only thing this post proves is that BBF owns you.🤣

10 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Hmm...BBF has the "honor" of being on your ignore list yet you feel compelled to post about him? 🤔 The only thing this post proves is that BBF owns you.🤣

This may be the biggest fanboy post I've ever seen. 

5 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Spot on. Fourth, Yuri’s offseason adventure and “re-commitment” may have set a new vibe for team chemistry.

billikenbill likes this

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

I wish I knew more about PT.  It just seems, and I know everyone's different, that by now it shouldn't be an issue.  At times it looks like its still bothering him, or if there's a different injury going on.  He got his touch back for a bit but has since lost it again. If it was something as simple as still a small injury, Id be rather pissed that he has played as much as he has. 

Third, we believed we would have a good shooting team this year, able to approach or achieve 40% from the arc as a team (right now we're at 35%) Neither of those have happened as we completely blew two games, Auburn and SIUE, at the line. Two wins there and we're in the bubble discussion.

We're shooting just under that in conference play. I believe I saw we are shooting like 38.5% from 3.  There should be absolutely no reason we don't take more 3's than we do. 

That's scary..

This is where I'm actually in more support of Ford than a lot of people I've seen on here that actually support Ford. I don't see why he couldn't find a few starters in the portal. This is where he is supposed to shine after all.  That said, he should not get a 2 year leash.  He should, and I really believe the folks with the nice bank accounts think this, only get one more year to show us something he has yet to show us, and go from there.   

dlarry likes this

3-10 vs your biggest rivals.  No post season wins, not even in the NIT.  Embarrassing. 

Yeah I hope my criticisms are stirring discontent with the status quo, keeping Coach T. Ford.  Because I have no reason to believe he will ever achieve any post season success at SLU. Because he's only ever achieved success in the post season, in the NIT with UMASS over 14 years ago.

Couldn't get it done with B12 PotY, couldn't get it done with player on the Wizards who played with a top all time A10 rebounder, can't get it done with an all time assists leader playing with a SLU top all time 3PT shooter.  With all that no results.  Meanwhile you got SBU playing only 5 guys in a town perpetually covered in snow winning more than SLU.

So no I don't support Ford he's lost my support.  No I won't donate because any talent will be squandered and I'll be even more frustrated. 

Chris Mack is available.  His protégé at Charleston Pat Kelsey is winning too. I'd take Creighton assistant, Mcasland at UNT so many options that would take that $2.4mil willingly and the nice arena in a good area for basketball recruiting in a conference that is ripe to be exploited by a good coach.  I'd roll the dice on a change

Bizziken and Schasz like this

21 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

3-10 vs your biggest rivals.  No post season wins, not even in the NIT.  Embarrassing. 

Yeah I hope my criticisms are stirring discontent with the status quo, keeping Coach T. Ford.  Because I have no reason to believe he will ever achieve any post season success at SLU. Because he's only ever achieved success in the post season, in the NIT with UMASS over 14 years ago.

Couldn't get it done with B12 PotY, couldn't get it done with player on the Wizards who played with a top all time A10 rebounder, can't get it done with an all time assists leader playing with a SLU top all time 3PT shooter.  With all that no results.  Meanwhile you got SBU playing only 5 guys in a town perpetually covered in snow winning more than SLU.

So no I don't support Ford he's lost my support.  No I won't donate because any talent will be squandered and I'll be even more frustrated. 

Chris Mack is available.  His protégé at Charleston Pat Kelsey is winning too. I'd take Creighton assistant, Mcasland at UNT so many options that would take that $2.4mil willingly and the nice arena in a good area for basketball recruiting in a conference that is ripe to be exploited by a good coach.  I'd roll the dice on a change

Ran out of reactions