GDT: Loyola-Chicago: What do you call a loud person from Chicago?

SluSignGuy

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sr. Jean read a very nice pregame prayer, acknowledged the “well respected Saint Louis Billikens, our neighbors to the south,” also prayed for no injuries to the players. 

Wayne Mesmer, vocalist of Blackhawks fame, later the Cubbies, sang the National Anthem.

Fr. Biondi, now residing at Loyola, was present wearing a blue SLU sweatshirt and sporting a winter beard. 

Man, there was a lot of Blue in what Rick Hummel would term, a bipartisan crowd.

After withstanding a fired up Loyola start, our Billikens took it to the ‘Blers the last 3 quarters of the game. You know what? We have a very good team!  Bravo Billikens!

4 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

Hufflepuff, here 🦡 

Hufflepuffs God love'm always reminded me of Boxer the horse from Orwell's Animal Farm......."We must try harder!"

Official Motto:

"You might belong in Hufflepuff, where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuff's are true and unafraid of toil."

thunderdan likes this

Good adjustments by Ford, specifically the switch to an effective zone defense. credit where it’s due.

After a horrific start, Okoro and Forrester both settled in and had some good moments.  Forrester was *so close* to the best Billiken Dunk I’ve seen at least since the Tommie Liddell putback.  He got the bucket over two guys, but more threw it off the backboard than really flushing it home. 

Gibson settled in nicely, despite not shooting well from outside. His defense is a work I progress still. He has some good defensive possessions, but also has some where he’ll get torched by a 5’11 white dude.  

Parker and Hughes gave us a spark when we badly needed one. That’s gotta be our starting backcourt next year. 

Perkins is SO CLOSE to being back. He may be there already. No such thing as a bad shot for him as far as I’m concerned.  The and-one toward the end of the game was ridiculous. His shooting is coming around. Let him eat, baby. 

pickett was kinda “meh” for me.  I’m sure he did more than I realized, but don’t really feel like checking a box score right this second. 

Yuri looked like 75% healthy Yuri, which makes sense. 

Overall a mostly complete team victory over a very mediocre team. Can anyone remember an A10 team with high preseason expectations finishing dead last?  Can we trade them back for Belmont?  Jokes aside, I anticipate this turning into a very strong rivalry. 

6 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Good adjustments by Ford, specifically the switch to an effective zone defense. credit where it’s due.

After a horrific start, Okoro and Forrester both settled in and had some good moments.  Forrester was *so close* to the best Billiken Dunk I’ve seen at least since the Tommie Liddell putback.  He got the bucket over two guys, but more threw it off the backboard than really flushing it home. 

Gibson settled in nicely, despite not shooting well from outside. His defense is a work I progress still. He has some good defensive possessions, but also has some where he’ll get torched by a 5’11 white dude.  

Parker and Hughes gave us a spark when we badly needed one. That’s gotta be our starting backcourt next year. 

Perkins is SO CLOSE to being back. He may be there already. No such thing as a bad shot for him as far as I’m concerned.  The and-one toward the end of the game was ridiculous. His shooting is coming around. Let him eat, baby. 

pickett was kinda “meh” for me.  I’m sure he did more than I realized, but don’t really feel like checking a box score right this second. 

Yuri looked like 75% healthy Yuri, which makes sense. 

Overall a mostly complete team victory over a very mediocre team. Can anyone remember an A10 team with high preseason expectations finishing dead last?  Can we trade them back for Belmont?  Jokes aside, I anticipate this turning into a very strong rivalry. 

I am not sure you can give Parker and Hughes the starting mantle just yet.  We have seen good development from them but with the open schollies we will have could bring us better from the portal.  This the name of the game now.

-conference road wins are valuable and we've lost to some dogs in their houses, perhaps we already did that this season

-last night has me debating two possibilities, in the transfer portal era Travis doesn't care about recruiting his own roster to stay around or he doesn't know how to do it - SPark plays great in the first half and then it takes 11 minutes into the second half for him to enter for his one minute, what does it take to get clock? Larry didn't play in the second half after real good minutes where Travis is quoted as saying Yuri was sick so sure, why not play Yuri 34 minutes

i can only imagine, that practices are the benches tryout.   if ford doesnt see it there, i agree he probably doesnt care.   there is a reason a walk on (of course that might be contrived with dad bucking up as a booster to cover that spot) has leaped to the head of the pack on the bench.   all i know is my eyes say young hughes is worthy.   i would be using him more than they are.  i really want to see thames more.   but now with this car accident, we might not see much of the real thames this year.   hoping he gets a chance when he is honestly 100% physically.   

but that might be what freshman recruits become.   practice fodder that are churned keeping the cream and encouraging the others to seek other pasture and bringing in NiL transfers to fill most of the top spots. 

personally i hate that.  totally against why i love(d) college basketball.   but what can we do.   it appears we have no say as the common fans.  

11 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

the goal is to win not give  the bench minutes so they are ready for next year. ford plays the guys that give the team the best chance to win now.

As Coach Tate said a while back, it's not the coach's job to make the players happy.  It is the players job to make the coach happy.

"Next year" doesn't mean what it used to. 

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

As Coach Tate said a while back, it's not the coach's job to make the players happy.  It is the players job to make the coach happy.

"Next year" doesn't mean what it used to. 

Absolutely. Teams are year-to-year now. A lot of fans haven't grasped this concept yet.

Well, Loyola officially sucks again. Have to wait another few generations.

And Blers fans were convinced they would lose Valentine.

I disagree with the use of the Blers moniker.  I do not like it. But I am surprised Stu Durando and others are acting like they have never heard of it. Blers has been a thing since 2018, but I am thinking 2016.

I thought Durando covered Arch Madness…

Or is that just a way for them to say that they care so little about Loyola, they didn’t even know?

This was my first outside-of-STL Billikens game. It was awesome.

I loved how many Billikens fans made the trip, and how we were surrounded (in our section) by a like-minded group.

I love the smaller college arenas. They get loud! And credit to Loyola’s huge student section.

My favorite part of the evening was ‘singing’ the instrumental version of ‘When The Saints Go Marching In,’ followed by the ‘SAINT LOUIS’ chant. 😊 

Oh, and got to fly home with Rammer and Earl Austin this morning!

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

We will be rooting for the uniforms. It won't matter who wears them. Don't get attached to players, they will be gone 'next year'.

This will kill retired numbers and alumni nights.

19 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

I loved how many Billikens fans made the trip,

That and like half of Slu students and alumni are from Chicagoland haha

On a week night nonetheless.  Put the game on Saturday (as they should), we could maybe push for a 50/50 crowd 

I was there. Looked lije there was a scarf giveaway for the kids. They were pumped til we went ahead late in first half.

Heard nothing in the second half.

Band was good. Mascot was awesome. Danced with the band music. Ours could learn some things there.

Best part was being with blue clad fans, yelling and supporting our team.

mhg

cgeldmacher likes this