GDT: @ UMass

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Chris Carrawell could probably recruit St. Louis successfully and probably knows Cory Tate and could convince Cory to be on his staff.

I would rather have a local guy then a fired coach to replace Ford.

The Maryland game was not an outlier, it was an ugly sample of when the team has an off shooting night that does not play defense.

Defense has been an issue for 2 seasons and the coach cannot fix it.

If the late lquarles was still with us he would be having a field day on Billikens.com.  RIP lquarles.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

Coach Majerus’s teams used to do something called a screen. Brian Conklin was good at it. Maybe we can try that? 

this team is probably the worst screen setters and users i have ever seen.  I cringe every time our bigs run up to sent a screen and dont even make solid still contact with the defender.   or collins circles around the screen so wide my 94 year old mother could keep up with him.   or collins going to the basket before our bigs are even set thus causing the illegal screen call on the bigs.   i dont even get what's the point of doing it if they are going to be this unfundamental about it?

MB73, Adman, Bizziken and 4 others like this

16 hours ago, dlarry said:

I don’t think he is terrible at his job I think he’s a bit lazy and covering a beat he doesn’t want to cover.

When he actually writes articles about Billiken players/coaches I enjoy them and think they are well done. 

He just didn’t put in the effort to be a great at covering the Billikens. 

He acts as if he hates the Billikens. It's always a majority of highlighting negatives (granted there are often many negatives to choose from) and a minimal amount of reluctantly announcing the positives. 

His articles are often better than his social media presence but even in the articles I find that he doesn't do a good enough job at framing the highlights and accomplishments of the individuals or teams that he's covering. In fact I've seen examples of him (seemingly) intentionally spinning particular pieces of info in a manner that trivializes or demeans the significance of it...I most recently remember that about a soccer article this fall and there were more examples the further back we go.

A trained monkey could be as good as Stu at his job if they were also granted the access that he is.   

16 hours ago, wgstl said:

Stu has gotten better, still a long way to go to be what most G6 schools have with coverage 

Yes, he's gotten better, because the bar was set so very low. And it was set even lower by the many beat writers before him. But the biggest reason he's gotten better, invested more time and energy, and increased the quantity of his content is because Carter Chapley gave him no choice but to do so. As soon as he came on the scene there was pressure for the Post-Dispatch to step up their game and though they did so I'd say minimally. Carter's content has ALWAYS been better and it's always written and presented like he's not only knowledgeable, but passionate and actually hopes for the best for the program. 

They should have moved Carter to the Billiken beat a long time ago and put Stu in the fu**ing mail room, or at least some other area. I'm sick of him. 

12 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I'm officially on the get rid of Ford Train.

12 hours ago, dlarry said:

I was trending that way but thought a run in Brooklyn and a NCAA birth could save his job. 

Now, not so much. He needs to go.

I still really believe they can win in Brooklyn in spite of Ford. 

I still think Jimerson and Perkins can get hot for a few games. 
I still think Collins can lead this team.

I am hoping Okoro decides to stop wearing oven mitts during games. 

Parker looks like he has found it and Hughes has earned minutes. 

Even if all that happens for 4 days in Brooklyn, Ford has no business being on the sideline next year.

I was long a defender. I'm not anymore. I agree with @dlarry in that there's no reason we can't salvage a bit of a postseason, make an A10 run and squeak a tournament bid, but at this point short of winning the damn national championship he has got to go. I even think him going now wouldn't be a bad idea. Send a message, wake up the team, and see what it can do for the rest of the season. 

The beat writer is not supposed to be a cheerleader. That said, one of the overlooked issues about writing sports articles is you have column inches or a character count you have to reach. I’ve had personal experience with this problem. What happens is you’ve interviewed one or more people, researched the topic, and tried to develop a theme. 

You start writing, add as much flesh to the bone as you can think of, but find yourself still short of the needed length. At that point, you have to find something to fill in with and that something can come across as negative just to make a connection back to the larger theme. Fans of the team don’t like it but it helps to get the needed article length.

I look for this kind of filler when reading articles and can tell when the writer is stretching out the verbage to get to the needed count.

I recommend being a little less critical of Stu but that’s up to you.

stmdragons and Box and Won like this

54 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

He acts as if he hates the Billikens. It's always a majority of highlighting negatives (granted there are often many negatives to choose from) and a minimal amount of reluctantly announcing the positives. 

His articles are often better than his social media presence but even in the articles I find that he doesn't do a good enough job at framing the highlights and accomplishments of the individuals or teams that he's covering. In fact I've seen examples of him (seemingly) intentionally spinning particular pieces of info in a manner that trivializes or demeans the significance of it...I most recently remember that about a soccer article this fall and there were more examples the further back we go.

A trained monkey could be as good as Stu at his job if they were also granted the access that he is.   

Yes, he's gotten better, because the bar was set so very low. And it was set even lower by the many beat writers before him. But the biggest reason he's gotten better, invested more time and energy, and increased the quantity of his content is because Carter Chapley gave him no choice but to do so. As soon as he came on the scene there was pressure for the Post-Dispatch to step up their game and though they did so I'd say minimally. Carter's content has ALWAYS been better and it's always written and presented like he's not only knowledgeable, but passionate and actually hopes for the best for the program. 

They should have moved Carter to the Billiken beat a long time ago and put Stu in the fu**ing mail room, or at least some other area. I'm sick of him. 

you seem to miss the likely fact that the post people in charge couldnt care less about the billikens.   most of the bigshots are probably mi$$ouri grads and still have a superiority issue with us.   

that all said, i agree with the poster yesterday that said stu is the best billiken beat writer in years.  not ready to give him a major award in journalism, but he's better than what we are used to getting.   until we are a significant D1 team wont change.   i thought for sure this was a turning point season.   appears it isnt.

29 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you seem to miss the likely fact that the post people in charge couldnt care less about the billikens.   most of the bigshots are probably mi$$ouri grads and still have a superiority issue with us.   

that all said, i agree with the poster yesterday that said stu is the best billiken beat writer in years.  not ready to give him a major award in journalism, but he's better than what we are used to getting.   until we are a significant D1 team wont change.   i thought for sure this was a turning point season.   appears it isnt.

The least smelly turd is still a turd. Give the job to Carter. Fu** Stu. 

12 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

The least smelly turd is still a turd. Give the job to Carter. Fu** Stu. 

maybe they believe the job Carter has is more important than the Billikens right now.

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

Why don't you look Stu up at the game Saturday, sit with him, and tell him what he is doing wrong.  Tell him how to do his job better.

If you are serious, then do something rather than continually post your anonymous opinion.

4 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

If the late lquarles was still with us he would be having a field day on Billikens.com.  RIP lquarles.

We had the field day when we beat VCU.

The troll was not wrong about our teams defense and a couple other topics but he was such an azz hat to the posters he had to go.  He would not have a civil disagreement with anyone.

I am ready to get back to a coach that teaches defense, rebounding and proper fundamentals of playing to kids that want to play that way.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Why don't you look Stu up at the game Saturday, sit with him, and tell him what he is doing wrong.  Tell him how to do his job better.

If you are serious, then do something rather than continually post your anonymous opinion.

While we're at it I might shove him in a locker, or give him a swirlie. That oughta get my point across. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

maybe they believe the job Carter has is more important than the Billikens right now.

That may be true, but I get the impression that he'd be more interested in the Billiken position than the Cardinals one. I imagine the pay is comparable if not better if Stu has done it this long while raising a family. Maybe I'm wrong on both accounts, but I doubt Carter would continue doing as much as he does for SLU coverage on the side if he didn't truly love it that much.  

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I am ready to get back to a coach that teaches defense, rebounding and proper fundamentals of playing to kids that want to play that way.

I am still waiting for the day Gibson gets in a proper defensive position. You know...knees bent, butt down, arms in a defensive position. It's been 4 seasons and that is Day 1 stuff. His defensive posture makes it appear he has scoliosis or something. If that can't be fixed in 4 years time it does make me question the coaching. It just does.

Billikenbooster likes this

10 minutes ago, willie said:

I think the criticism of STU and the Post is wrong. We were getting far more articles and coverage when we were supposed to be good. Little for Missouri. Now that that has flipped somewhat   because they are winning and we aren't. If you win they will follow. 

My complaints have nothing to do with quantity and Stu has nothing to do with Mizzou articles.