GDT: SIUE

Bills By 40

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as bad = just as good. Glass half full = glass half empty. It may take a major and unexpected defeat, to burst the fantasy and force people to accept the glass is half empty. In reality it has been half empty all the time. Howwever, the guy accepting tonight that it is half empty for the first time has just experienced a major change in his point of view.

8 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

The SIUE coach ran to his wife. Good one Old guy.

Running to his wife took maybe an additional 7 seconds. I’ve seen players celebrate for longer than that on the floor after big wins yet the losing team still waits to shake their hands. Unless he thought their coach was heading towards the locker rooms. 

One of the things that has eaten at me since last year was watching Collins bail on the team for the NIT game. It always rubbed me the wrong way and I think I see this with a lack of caring about losses on this year's team. Maybe it's a bad take but it is something that's stuck with me.

bauman, AGB91 and joe_davola like this

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

One of the things that has eaten at me since last year was watching Collins bail on the team for the NIT game. It always rubbed me the wrong way and I think I see this with a lack of caring about losses on this year's team. Maybe it's a bad take but it is something that's stuck with me.

I really don’t think our players are indifferent about basketball.  It’s hard to commit your life to something like all these young men do and not have a passion for what it is.

Some have noted Ford’s acknowledging this is a quiet group.  They really don’t have any personality or an identity.  The previous group played bully-ball.  They’d muck up the game, punch you in the face, take your lunch money and most important they bought into that.

I think it’s just an odd group at the moment, they don’t really know what they are

6 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I really don’t think our players are indifferent about basketball.  It’s hard to commit your life to something like all these young men do and not have a passion for what it is.

Some have noted Ford’s acknowledging this is a quiet group.  They really don’t have any personality or an identity.  The previous group played bully-ball.  They’d muck up the game, punch you in the face, take your lunch money and most important they bought into that.

I think it’s just an odd group at the moment, they don’t really know what they are

And yet Ford’s teams with a supposed identity still couldn’t finish better than 4th in the A10. 

33 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I saw that as well. Not a good look from a kid who put the fanbase and his coaches on a rollercoaster in the offseason.

7 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Does this mean Ford isn’t actually a good recruiter then?

I don’t think so.

who on this team did he win big recruiting battles with? Tate was able to convince a bunch of local guys to stay home. Other than that who are the guys Ford won a tough recruiting battle for?

Unfortunately some of us have seen through all the off-season hype when it comes to Ford for quite a while. Took a lot of flack from many on this board for it too. While I’d rather be eating crow as we head towards a 5-seed at large berth, that just isn’t happening under Ford.  It’s time. Thanks for bringing the program back from the stink of Crews, but you’re not taking this program to the next level.  So long, Travis. 

25 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I don’t think so.

who on this team did he win big recruiting battles with? Tate was able to convince a bunch of local guys to stay home. Other than that who are the guys Ford won a tough recruiting battle for?

I think the talent is good, even if the roster isn’t constructed in the best way. It is a top 40 roster.

The scary thing is after this season the talent will start filtering out quickly as players graduate.  The program needed to show results this season to give a boost to recruiting which has definitely slowed down over the past few seasons.

To answer your question about recruiting battles, we haven’t won any in recent years except those involving players that Tate had a connection to.  We haven’t won on guys that can make real difference without some connection to Tate since the likes of Jimerson, French, Isabelle, etc.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The scary thing is after this season the talent will start filtering out quickly as players graduate.  The program needed to show results this season to give a boost to recruiting which has definitely slowed down over the past few seasons.

This is an underappreciated point.  Ford when he came in could sell "things will be different with me" without any results.  Making the tournament (via the A-10 Tournament) somewhat saved him, because he could say: Look what we can do.  For future recruits, I think the best thing that Ford can point to is Goodwin.  I think it would be a hard sell for a recruit to say things will be better when there are years of mediocre results.

56 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

Who would’ve thought that bringing back a player who didn’t bother to show up for an NIT game while talking to UT for NIL purposes and led his teammates, coaching staff, fanbase, and school astray would cause friction within the clubhouse the following season ?

I think this is definitely a factor. Plus Ford has on numerous occasions called Collins “ the greatest point guard in the nation” and, as a result he has removed any kind of governor and just lets Collins do his thing-not exactly a team-building message.

1 minute ago, NextYearBill said:

SIUE… at home. 

I think the WORST part is… Perkins played like old Perkins, so can’t even hang the excuse of man we need Perkins. We lost to siue full fouking strength.