GDT: Drake

SluSignGuy

23 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I thought that was the big difference.  Ford was not as quick with the hook on Perkins and okoro.   He let them play through it and there demeaner definitely seemed much better

Interesting that you could make a good argument that Ford best "coaching jobs" in terms of available talent / depth would be years that he was forced to play a limited rotation because of injuries and...er...other circumstances.  He couldn't necessarily have a quick hook because there wasn't anyone else available.

2017-18 team finished tied for 5th in the A10 despite losing several players who were expected to be major contributors after situation 2.0.  This team played 7 players most with Rashed Anthony on very limited minutes.

2018-19 team finished strong after the departure of Gordon & nagging injuries to Wiley, Jacobs, & Hankton limited the rotation to just 6 players.

2019-20 team finished strong after losing Thatch to illness & Jimerson to injury.  

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Interesting that you could make a good argument that Ford best "coaching jobs" in terms of available talent / depth would be years that he was forced to play a limited rotation because of injuries and...er...other circumstances.  He couldn't necessarily have a quick hook because there wasn't anyone else available.

2017-18 team finished tied for 5th in the A10 despite losing several players who were expected to be major contributors after situation 2.0.  This team played 7 players most with Rashed Anthony on very limited minutes.

2018-19 team finished strong after the departure of Gordon & nagging injuries to Wiley, Jacobs, & Hankton limited the rotation to just 6 players.

2019-20 team finished strong after losing Thatch to illness & Jimerson to injury.  

I don't know if someone got to him or he just figured it out but I think Travis decided his quick hook was being counter productive. At least for the last game and in talking to the press. 

billiken_roy likes this

45 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

imo there is a big difference between the quick hook made to one player after a mistake or missed shots, then playing a deeper rotation with more even minutes across the board.  and yes, selling that to the team takes some talent by the coach.  

39 minutes ago, willie said:

I don't know if someone got to him or he just figured it out but I think Travis decided his quick hook was being counter productive. At least for the last game and in talking to the press. 

Which is a very good thing to do. If it was the board posts that got him to change that even better.

5 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

You must have missed the part of the presser where Ford said "I owe a lot of thanks to Old Guy, from Billikens.com, because I drew all of my coaching inspiration from him tonight. His statistical analysis and constructive criticism alone helped me find the answers to our problems and lead this team to victory tonight. In fact, I'm even thinking of cutting Yuri from the team - he made some points that opened my eyes to the cancer that he is to this program and I have come to the conclusion that we would be better off without him. Lastly, I am announcing that we have acquired a commitment from Carteare Gordon to return to Saint Louis University in a groundbreaking transfer move and this development is enough to elevate us to a national championship contending level."  

I thought Ford was hacking into Wiz’s computer? You mean he’s not?

Bills By 40 likes this

On 12/17/2022 at 9:20 PM, SLU_Nick said:

I liked the zone a lot.  Good for team psyche.  Whew. It looked grim for a while. Thanks for putting up with my sky is falling routine every gdt 

Glad the Bills have you in a good mood.  We worry about you some games based on the GDT. 🙂

44 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

You must have missed the part of the presser where Ford said "I owe a lot of thanks to Old Guy, from Billikens.com, because I drew all of my coaching inspiration from him tonight. His statistical analysis and constructive criticism alone helped me find the answers to our problems and lead this team to victory tonight. In fact, I'm even thinking of cutting Yuri from the team - he made some points that opened my eyes to the cancer that he is to this program and I have come to the conclusion that we would be better off without him. Lastly, I am announcing that we have acquired a commitment from Carteare Gordon to return to Saint Louis University in a groundbreaking transfer move and this development is enough to elevate us to a national championship contending level."  

YOU FORGOT THE BLUE FONT

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

Absolute fact. I believe I mentioned it before but last time I spoke with Coach he mentioned that he learns a lot from the board and specifically mentioned Old guy as, his words not mine calling Okd Guy “the most inspirational poster and the poster that has helped him make improvements by constantly challenging him to be all he can be”

6 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

You had me believing - I was going to track down OG and give him some tips to pass on to Coach…..until the CAG returning to SLU part…hell freezes over before that happens.

1 hour ago, Gremio14 said:

You had me believing - I was going to track down OG and give him some tips to pass on to Coach…..until the CAG returning to SLU part…hell freezes over before that happens.

I would have liked to have had Jimmy Bell Jr this year

Young Charles likes this

10 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

Yes Old Guy is nuts but give him credit for stating it would be a good move to bring in 7-foot-1 Bruce Zhang in January for second semester. That would be interesting…

24 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Yes Old Guy is nuts but give him credit for stating it would be a good move to bring in 7-foot-1 Bruce Zhang in January for second semester. That would be interesting…

Don't have room do they?

Zhang would be a very high risk, medium reward addition. I can't imagine he'd acclimate quick enough to be worth significant minutes over Forrester or even Momo. I could be wrong about Momo, but I'd hate to waste a year of his eligibility for an idea that's bound to fail from the jump.  

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

Zhang would be a very high risk, medium reward addition. I can't imagine he'd acclimate quick enough to be worth significant minutes over Forrester or even Momo. I could be wrong about Momo, but I'd hate to waste a year of his eligibility for an idea that's bound to fail from the jump.  

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

You're assuming a lot here...

What is the status of Zhang? Did he sign?