Jump to content

Welcome to Cian Medley!!!!


thetorch
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Why do you think he stays?  He's already been talking to the media saying he doesn't know how much longer he wants to play.  THat sounds to me like somebody on his last year.

If someone was going to stay I'd say it was Hargrove.  

Thatch is deciding between a 2nd master's degree and a PhD based on how long he wants to stay.  He won't be able to finish the PHD in 2 years so he's probably leaning towards the Masters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if all this high school and aau near commit talk is right, it appears ford maybe has switched back to going after the kids from what seemed like a wait for the transfer portal feel i got last year.   i have no idea which is the right way but maybe it is a thinking that might as well fill your spots in the fall because we now believe much of your existing roster will fly away and you will still have transfer portal opportunities to play in the newest recruiting toy?  

man i hate the direct of college revenue sports. 

bauman likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if all this high school and aau near commit talk is right, it appears ford maybe has switched back to going after the kids from what seemed like a wait for the transfer portal feel i got last year.   i have no idea which is the right way but maybe it is a thinking that might as well fill your spots in the fall because we now believe much of your existing roster will fly away and you will still have transfer portal opportunities to play in the newest recruiting toy?  

man i hate the direct of college revenue sports. 

Coach Ford is going after high school guys because we have at least five scholarships to fill and the core of his team has always included high school players. We have enough scholarships to still be active in the transfer portal come spring.  It's not an either/or situation.

almaman and SLU_Lax like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thatch is deciding between a 2nd master's degree and a PhD based on how long he wants to stay.  He won't be able to finish the PHD in 2 years so he's probably leaning towards the Masters.

A masters can be done in 1 year.  He would finish his 2nd masters by the end of next summer if he wanted to.

For earning potential two masters is pretty much a wash. A PHD, especially one gotten for mostly free could be way more lucrative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Ford is going after high school guys because we have at least five scholarships to fill and the core of his team has always included high school players. We have enough scholarships to still be active in the transfer portal come spring.  It's not an either/or situation.

i get what you are saying, but i am still watching to see how the world changes.   imo there was no doubt he quit recruiting the kids last year once we knew for sure that the NIL nonsense was going to happen.  there will be many programs that switch their focus to stealing the players determined to move up to a more visible program.  and those programs very well may only build with that tool going forward.   i hope i am wrong.   but i see too much of a belief that not doing this will only result in developing players only to lose them just when they are ready to hit the bigtime in their career.   again, hope i am wrong.  watching players develop over four seasons is one of the biggest reason i enjoy college basketball more than the nba.   

AGB91 likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, thetorch said:

A masters can be done in 1 year.  He would finish his 2nd masters by the end of next summer if he wanted to.

For earning potential two masters is pretty much a wash. A PHD, especially one gotten for mostly free could be way more lucrative.

Very similar to when I was dominating the intramural courts and deciding if I wanted to drop out with only my associates or continue on towards my bachelors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thatch is deciding between a 2nd master's degree and a PhD based on how long he wants to stay.  He won't be able to finish the PHD in 2 years so he's probably leaning towards the Masters.

Actually he could complete the class part of it - not easy but still doable if he uses summers.  I agree the written and oral testing parts along with the dissertation and its defense will have to be completed after the 2 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Very similar to when I was dominating the intramural courts and deciding if I wanted to drop out with only my associates or continue on towards my bachelors. 

I decided to drop out.  Associates has gotten me far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Projected ‘23 one and doners will still get offers from the elites, but the elites will hold off on fall offerings to those ranked below the premium players. The elites will have the luxury of waiting to see who enters the portal in the spring and then assess if they want to offer ‘23 kids. Also, the elites can always get a 23 kid to de commit by offering a sweet NIL deal if the portal doesn’t fulfill their needs. 
This approach could make it easier for upper mid majors to land 4 and 5 star players with firm offers in the fall. However, that’s no guarantee the kid who signs a LOI in November of 22 will ever play there because he can always de commit. 
Welcome to the anything goes Wild West days of college recruiting. 
I would expect Travis will try and capitalize on this situation by bringing in 3-4 23 kids that might have interest from the P5’s, but no firm offers, and then fill in gaps with 2-3 portal players, if he indeed has 6 openings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if all this high school and aau near commit talk is right, it appears ford maybe has switched back to going after the kids from what seemed like a wait for the transfer portal feel i got last year.   i have no idea which is the right way but maybe it is a thinking that might as well fill your spots in the fall because we now believe much of your existing roster will fly away and you will still have transfer portal opportunities to play in the newest recruiting toy?  

man i hate the direct of college revenue sports. 

An overall snapshot of this year's recruiting looks like coaches focus on HS for the fall signing, but jump to transfers for the spring/summer signing.  Perhaps after the Covid free year players flush through the system, the recruiting process may even out some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thatch is deciding between a 2nd master's degree and a PhD based on how long he wants to stay.  He won't be able to finish the PHD in 2 years so he's probably leaning towards the Masters.

Mr. Thatch received his BS in 2021 and his MS in 2022.  He could easily finish a second masters in one year and decide to move on after this season. I have no idea which way he is leaning.  We should know in a week which education path he is taking.

I think the telling parts of his recent comments were "how my body feels", and then "how long I want to be here."  This season will be his fifth year in the program including his RS year as he started out with the 2018/19 team.  I am confident Mr. Thatch will do what is best for Mr. Thatch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Projected ‘23 one and doners will still get offers from the elites, but the elites will hold off on fall offerings to those ranked below the premium players. The elites will have the luxury of waiting to see who enters the portal in the spring and then assess if they want to offer ‘23 kids. Also, the elites can always get a 23 kid to de commit by offering a sweet NIL deal if the portal doesn’t fulfill their needs. 
This approach could make it easier for upper mid majors to land 4 and 5 star players with firm offers in the fall. However, that’s no guarantee the kid who signs a LOI in November of 22 will ever play there because he can always de commit. 
Welcome to the anything goes Wild West days of college recruiting. 
I would expect Travis will try and capitalize on this situation by bringing in 3-4 23 kids that might have interest from the P5’s, but no firm offers, and then fill in gaps with 2-3 portal players, if he indeed has 6 openings. 

Agree with your overall argument.  The top 75 kids are still getting multiple high major offers in the fall.  It's the kids ranked between 100-200 that are being strung along until the spring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, bauman said:

Why does it seem that there is absolute certainty that Yuri will leave after this year?  Doesn't he have another year of eligibility?

Because he'll have a degree and the experience of the best Billiken team he'll ever play on.  He wants to be a professional basketball player.  His stock will never be higher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Pistol said:

Junior year highlights: 

Medley won a state championship with 2 5-star teammates, D.J. Wagner and Aaron Bradshaw. They also played on NJ Scholars (EYBL) together.

Looks like a naturally gifted shooter who needs to put on about 30 pounds.  Only 6 foot tall which is a little concerning, he’ll have to be able to guard 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Mr. Thatch received his BS in 2021 and his MS in 2022.  He could easily finish a second masters in one year and decide to move on after this season. I have no idea which way he is leaning.  We should know in a week which education path he is taking.

I think the telling parts of his recent comments were "how my body feels", and then "how long I want to be here."  This season will be his fifth year in the program including his RS year as he started out with the 2018/19 team.  I am confident Mr. Thatch will do what is best for Mr. Thatch. 

Fred Thatch epitomizes all that a student athlete can become. He brings great honor to himself, his team, and his school. Glad he chose SLU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, slubillikens43 said:

I’m curious is it pronounced SEE-an or KEE-an

 

8 hours ago, Compton said:

SEE-an.

I'm told it's more like SEE-on, or SEE-ahn if that works for you. Just so we aren't hitting him with that Midwestern nasal short-a sound like SEE-ANN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...