Poll on NIL money for Yuri

NIL Money for Yuri?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How much money would you be willing to pay Yuri Collins for 1 year of basketball?

• $0
    • $100
    • $200
    • $500
    • More

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/21/2022 at 04:00 AM

I know this will start a debate, but really, it is a legitimate question about fans crowdfunding players salaries. It would be money basically for nothing. The fans would not be able to really require players to show up at birthday parties or anything. I am assuming we are a representative part of the SLU fan base, and would like to see what that could equate to monetarily. As an aside, I haven’t researched the legality of crowdfunding players at all.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Young Charles said:

After all this drama... No thanks. Give it to francis, Gibby or Perk. We saw some sort of team head butting this year. Yuri coming back would really be something else for team chemistry. Wish Yuri luck, he will be soon forgoten. 

Yuri who? And he better not receive SLU Hall of Fame consideration either.

billiken_roy likes this

Bump. I am surprised so many people are on $0. If it is all reactionary and angry, then I would say that people need to grow up. Imagine you were 21, getting paid nothing, and someone offered you 100+k to move to their school. Would you do it? If not, then you grew up rich and probably have no perspective. I really hope that you can remove those feelings for this poll. Consider whether you would pay for it objectively. I personally compare it to my monthly Streaming bill. If I want quality content, then I have to pay for it. $100 is small in comparison to boredom.

5 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Yuri who? And he better not receive SLU Hall of Fame consideration either.

I’d like to think those in charge of the HoF have a little more self respect than that. But who knows. I know I wouldn’t stand and clap for Yuri after this. 

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Bump. I am surprised so many people are on $0. If it is all reactionary and angry, then I would say that people need to grow up. Imagine you were 21, getting paid nothing, and someone offered you 100+k to move to their school. Would you do it? If not, then you grew up rich and probably have no perspective. I really hope that you can remove those feelings for this poll. Consider whether you would pay for it objectively. I personally compare it to my monthly Streaming bill. If I want quality content, then I have to pay for it. $100 is small in comparison to boredom.

I’m not really seeing anyone blaming him for taking the money. It’s the way he went about it by apparently having extended conversations with TN weeks before he entered the portal all while tell Ford “all good”, pushing merch the day before he enters the portal to get Slu fans buying, and then finally telling the staff via text. 

For me at least, that’s why I would not give a single dollar to bring him back. 

rgbilliken and DOC like this

22 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

I’m not really seeing anyone blaming him for taking the money. It’s the way he went about it by apparently having extended conversations with TN weeks before he entered the portal all while tell Ford “all good”, pushing merch the day before he enters the portal to get Slu fans buying, and then finally telling the staff via text. 

+100000000 no ones blaming him for taking $$ 

27 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

That is fine. I understand it. I just doubt it was that simple. I also think it is hard to judge a 20 year old who probably went back and forth on this for a month. It does not bother me that he lied to Ford, someone who he does not want to hurt, to his face, and told the truth via text. It is a tough thing to do at any time. Ford and the coaching staff are grown adults. They are already over it.

BJK likes this

Would i rather contribute to some fund for a specific player or renew my season tickets? Tickets every time. The money i have to spend on the billikens is spent going to the games.

The NIL stuff is for Chaifetz and Novelly to take care of.

So $0 for me. Easy answer.

Dr Bird and thunderdan like this

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

Would i rather contribute to some fund for a specific player or renew my season tickets? Tickets every time. The money i have to spend on the billikens is spent going to the games.

The NIL stuff is for Chaifetz and Novelly to take care of.

So $0 for me. Easy answer.

Since the NCAA was formed, NCAA schools have been saying that fans would abandon the sport if players were paid. Maybe this poll is showing that reality. Maybe it is just a perception that comes from polling. It will be interesting to watch over the next few years as all major teams have payments to every player. Will fans walk away from their teams? Will these polls change over time?

5 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

If you voted 0, don't also say "Its so hard being a Billiken fan" because that is a self fulfilling thing.

A bunch of fans saying they would chip in 0 for an A-10 first team player. Yikes. 

It feels like an additional tithe to get to the promised land, but I’m in for passing the hat with a couple hundo at halftime. 

3 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

It feels like an additional tithe to get to the promised land, but I’m in for passing the hat with a couple hundo at halftime. 

What we need to do is to get the St. Louis Diocese to start an NIL fund, and then pass our money that way. The Diocese could actually use the players NIL in fundraising, at charity events, and in community service projects. Just need 1% of that holy rolled cheddar! :) jk.

14 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

If you voted 0, don't also say "Its so hard being a Billiken fan" because that is a self fulfilling thing.

A bunch of fans saying they would chip in 0 for an A-10 first team player. Yikes. 

Dumb take.

99% of fans don't have extra money for this so yeah it zero. I'm scraping money together to buy beer at the game. If my kid needs braces I'm not giving Yuri or anybody $50 to play. 

The NIL isn't for regular fans to support. Its for the the AD to court big donors to bankroll this new endeavor.

How much did you donate to build Chaifetz arena? I'm betting zero.

I could see this creating some issues, lol. Reformation 2.0 started because of basketball 😂

6 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

What we need to do is to get the St. Louis Diocese to start an NIL fund, and then pass our money that way. The Diocese could actually use the players NIL in fundraising, at charity events, and in community service projects. Just need 1% of that holy rolled cheddar! :) jk.

AnkielBreakers likes this

18 hours ago, Young Charles said:

After all this drama... No thanks. Give it to francis, Gibby or Perk. We saw some sort of team head butting this year. Yuri coming back would really be something else for team chemistry. Wish Yuri luck, he will be soon forgoten. 

i would consider some fund for present players, nothing to entice players to come to slu or to lure them back after they left

drkelsey55 likes this

5 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Dumb take.

99% of fans don't have extra money for this so yeah it zero. I'm scraping money together to buy beer at the game. If my kid needs braces I'm not giving Yuri or anybody $50 to play. 

The NIL isn't for regular fans to support. Its for the the AD to court big donors to bankroll this new endeavor.

How much did you donate to build Chaifetz arena? I'm betting zero.

Well I was a student at SLU when Chaifetz was being built so....

I guess we see things differently. Instead of wasting money on a beer at the game, I'd rather throw a few shekels towards keeping an entertaining and really solid player on the court. An A-10 first team player isn't something that someone lucks into. 

I'm curious as to what the alleged UT donors are supposed to be getting back from Yuri in regards to NIL.  This is supposed to be a two way street, correct?  Yes, 10 lanes one way and a narrow path back.  Would Yuri be expected to provide a service back to the donors for his Name, Image or Likeness?  Pose for a billboard for a car company?  Shill pizza on TV?  Attend someone's daughter's birthday party?  Sign autographs at a supermarket opening? Or is this a straight cash for play?

No one knows the answers, but if it isn't a two way street, this is really screwed up.  If I am giving you something (NIL money in this case), I expect something in return.