2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

25 minutes ago, bauman said:

Then how do you see it after the next 2 seasons?  All the players who have been responsible for our success the past few years will be gone.  Yuri, Perk, Jimmer TH Jr, FT Jr and FO.  The talent in the remains of last year's FR and the incoming class is not top of the A 10 level.  Hopefully TF is able to ink a few top 150 level players with our open scholarships this and next year, but as good of players as our incoming FR will be, we are a long way from fielding a top 50 program. 

Obviously none of us know who TF will be able to get to SLU in the next 2-4 classes, but with NIL and big money programs throwing around money like it was free, I don't see us getting anymore Goodwin's or French's.  Any under the radar signees, such as Perkins and Collins, will move on to a big NIL school as soon as they show what they can do at a mid-major like SLU.  Get in the Big East?  Ain't going to happen!

As Rammer said on Frank's show in the last 3-5 days, It is now all about the money.  Future prospects aren't going to worry about the quality of lockers or educational assistance.  What they will care about is NIL money.  That's the deal, period.  If you can't play in that sandbox then find one you can play in.

Bauman, it is not all about the money, it never was. Jimerson may have chosen SLU because of the importance St. Louis has in terms of chess competitions, Larry Hughes II came in as a walk on when he could have come in with a full scholarship, Hassahn came to SLU even though  UMass went overboard to get him. There are always good candidates that will be available to play for SLU. There are things that attract people to St. Louis believe it or not.

What I think you are really saying is that when this whole NIL hullaballoo settles down and stabilizes, there will be haves and have nots in the college sports arena, and that we will be among the have nots. OK, I agree that is most likely going to be the outcome of this situation. But think of it, were we ever (over the last 20 years or so) among the top schools in basketball in the US? Maybe with Majerus for a little while but otherwise no, we were always trying to get there, but never quite did it. I agree the new sandbox will not be where the buzz, the glory, and the money will be, but it will be our sandbox and we will play in it.

SLU will never be Harvard or Wash U academically, but it will remain a good school. At the same time neither SLU, or Harvard, or Wash U will win the NCAA in basketball. How is this the end of the world?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, bauman said:

Then how do you see it after the next 2 seasons?  All the players who have been responsible for our success the past few years will be gone.  Yuri, Perk, Jimmer TH Jr, FT Jr and FO.  The talent in the remains of last year's FR and the incoming class is not top of the A 10 level.  Hopefully TF is able to ink a few top 150 level players with our open scholarships this and next year, but as good of players as our incoming FR will be, we are a long way from fielding a top 50 program. 

Obviously none of us know who TF will be able to get to SLU in the next 2-4 classes, but with NIL and big money programs throwing around money like it was free, I don't see us getting anymore Goodwin's or French's.  Any under the radar signees, such as Perkins and Collins, will move on to a big NIL school as soon as they show what they can do at a mid-major like SLU.  Get in the Big East?  Ain't going to happen!

As Rammer said on Frank's show in the last 3-5 days, It is now all about the money.  Future prospects aren't going to worry about the quality of lockers or educational assistance.  What they will care about is NIL money.  That's the deal, period.  If you can't play in that sandbox then find one you can play in.

If Crews or Soderberg were our coach I'd be extremely worried about recruiting.....still not worried 

You guys are wild. We just ponied up to keep Yuri -- which seems like a good thing for our program in terms of NIL?

If you want to worry about 2 years from now, today, when no one has any idea how NIL will play-out long-term, if the immediate transfer rule will still be around, how the team will perform the next 2 season, how our recruits will develop, etc., etc., that tells me you are just looking for reasons to bum yourself out. Sounds terrible. 

I don't like the pay to play rules and what its likely do to div 1 bb. However if money is now the biggest factor or even among the top 3 factors with top players, then we have to embrace it at SLU, or greatly lower our expectations. 

1 hour ago, bauman said:

They won’t compete again with your attitude.
Besides, I thought you said you were done with college sports.

3 hours ago, bauman said:

I think this is off.  Ford has always done one thing exceptionally well and that’s recruit.  He’s done it for multiple decades at multiple institutions.  His track record has to mean something when it comes to this.  I think we’ll adjust just like every other school in the nation will have to.  Will we be able to throw around money like Duke and Kansas? No, but we weren’t getting those recruits anyway.  If you haven’t noticed, we have completely monopolized the talent that comes out of STL under Ford.  Unless they are Bona fide P5 stars, all of them consider SLU and a bunch of them come and have great careers.  Our NIL infrastructure will grow and evolve and we’ll be fine

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

Roy I have never played Russian roulette, the fact that I am here at my age proves it. My thinking in this regard is more military based than sports based. You do not want anyone in your unit that will cause disunity or strife, you get rid of them. I was sorry to see Gordon go because I think he tried hard but just could not do it. I am sorry to see good players go, but I will not be sorry if Yuri goes, particularly after that video where he talked about who was and was not family that was shown around.

All it proves is you never lost at Russian roulette 

4 hours ago, bauman said:

Not so Brighton’s replying to your post is really rich.

That Azz clown recently posted that he wished SLU would have ended the basketball program and kept the hockey program.  He is a troll when it comes to basketball.

We have to see the kids play before the freshman are judged.  I like Thames he has good size and skill and his father was a great college player.  Kramer is a 3 point threat and a defender.  Perkins was a nobody to the A10 so consider the source.

SLU is fully engaged in the NIL nonsense.  May and Ford reacted quickly which is out of the norm with SLU.

KicK back and enjoy this season it will be fun if a couple of stretch 4’s are signed.  After that Ford has the NIL tools to get the same level of players that he has always gotten.

majerus mojo likes this

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

That is interesting Scoop, what is Rothstein roulette?

You load up the revolver with lies and pull the twitter.

10 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

What is SLU’s ranking in basketball athletic budget? I remember seeing it, and that we were a lot higher than I expected. If that is true, then we will be fine.

Does it even matter anymore?

Seems like the power dynamic has shifted away from athletic departments toward boosters, businesses, alums, and agents. Coaches look borderline helpless in this new landscape. Coach to player recruiting and athletic department budget/power/facilities are only pieces of a larger puzzle now. It's happening so fast, too.

brianstl and bauman like this

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The salaries of coaches are going to take a big hit.  Don’t think it will happen right away, but over the next five years the are going to be hit hard.

I think it will be very hard to reduce a coach's salary significantly and retain the coach.

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Seems like the power dynamic has shifted away from athletic departments toward boosters, businesses, alums, and agents. Coaches look borderline helpless in this new landscape. Coach to player recruiting and athletic department budget/power/facilities are only pieces of a larger puzzle now. It's happening so fast, too.

Also there will inevitably be conflicts over players that coaches like versus players that boosters like.  Boosters who are more hands-on will be able to strongarm their way into becoming general managers.  What a mess.

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I agree with Brian STL, and you are right in the short term. For the next year or two everything will be in chaos, after that, programs with more money will find a way.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I think it will be very hard to reduce a coach's salary significantly and retain the coach.

Retaining the coach isn’t as important in the new world.  It is more important to free up some of that money that used to go to the coach from the boosters to give to the players.

Just now, AnkielBreakers said:

I agree with Brian STL, and you are right in the short term. For the next year or two everything will be in chaos, after that, programs with more money will find a way.

Yeah, generally the stronger, richer programs will still win in this game - I've said from the beginning the dynamic in college basketball will not really change - but the power of coaches and athletic departments have weakened dramatically relative to people outside the program in a very short amount of time.

29 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

What is SLU’s ranking in basketball athletic budget? I remember seeing it, and that we were a lot higher than I expected. If that is true, then we will be fine.

As of the 2020 season, SLU had the 72nd highest Men's Basketball budget per Department of Education records. Here is where the A-10 shakes out, even though some of these schools likely have changed their commitment to spending in recent years. 3 Man Weave combed through the data a few years ago to compile this list. I've seen it on Twitter from time to time and it is a really interesting look at the CBB landscape! 
https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/college-basketball-budgets-2020

image.png.75230a1be427178cc7c47199b5863f6b.png

Zink likes this