Jump to content

Yuri


Recommended Posts

I'm sure some of you know that while I am a SLU Alum and a life long Bills fan, I also root for my wife's school TN Vols. I just saw this on the Vols fan website.

Tennessee is continuing to evaluate lots of transfers but the one other player in the portal we’re sure that Barnes has met with face to face is Indiana State transfer Tyreke Key, who is originally from Celina. The Vols are highly interested in Key but in talking to some people it feels like he and Murray are probably an ‘either/or’ situation. That’s not written in stone, and could depend on what happens elsewhere, but that’s what it feels like to us. One name that interested basketball fans should keep a very close eye on is St. Louis point guard Yuri Collins. On Wednesday Collins announced that he was testing the NBA Draft waters while maintaining his college eligibility. We’ve heard more than a few rumblings that Collins will end up transferring and that when he enters the portal Tennessee will be deeply and immediately in strong contention. Again, keep an eye on that one.

Not sure if anyone more closely in touch with SLU outside of this fan base has heard that after Yuri gets his NBA evaluation that he plans to transfer. Seems like most fans on this website were sure he was coming back to SLU.

thetorch and SLU200 like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

I'm sure some of you know that while I am a SLU Alum and a life long Bills fan, I also root for my wife's school TN Vols. I just saw this on the Vols fan website.

Tennessee is continuing to evaluate lots of transfers but the one other player in the portal we’re sure that Barnes has met with face to face is Indiana State transfer Tyreke Key, who is originally from Celina. The Vols are highly interested in Key but in talking to some people it feels like he and Murray are probably an ‘either/or’ situation. That’s not written in stone, and could depend on what happens elsewhere, but that’s what it feels like to us. One name that interested basketball fans should keep a very close eye on is St. Louis point guard Yuri Collins. On Wednesday Collins announced that he was testing the NBA Draft waters while maintaining his college eligibility. We’ve heard more than a few rumblings that Collins will end up transferring and that when he enters the portal Tennessee will be deeply and immediately in strong contention. Again, keep an eye on that one.

Not sure if anyone more closely in touch with SLU outside of this fan base has heard that after Yuri gets his NBA evaluation that he plans to transfer. Seems like most fans on this website were sure he was coming back to SLU.

Why would someone mark Schasz as a troll? If he say's he read it, he read it. He's not trolling, he's been posting for as long as I have

Ironbills, AGB91, willie and 1 other like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Schasz has always been a great poster. I'm sure he's truthful that UT would love to have a player like Yurimania. But, I don't think it's happening for a number of reasons. First, Yuri has to know he's critical to SLU's winning. Would he be so critical at UT? Maybe maybe not. Second, at SLU he has become the man and gets to play in front of his parents every home game. He's not going to get that at Knoxville. Third, I have always felt that Travis is Yurimania's coach. They both play the point as undersized guys. Unless this means nothihng to Yurimanis I think this bond would not be easy to break. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Why would someone mark Schasz as a troll? If he say's he read it, he read it. He's not trolling, he's been posting for as long as I have

Length of time posting on the board does not preclude someone from being a troll. See courtside, oldguy et al

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't post something like Yuri possibly heading to Rocky Top unless I thought there was something to the rumor. UT is losing their 5 Star PG Kennedy Chandler to the NBA so there is an opening. As far as me being a troll give me a break...bet I've been a Bills fan and SLU Alum long before many on here were born.

As I said I am also a fan of both programs which last time I checked should be OK. I can also see some reasons why Yuri would consider playing at UT. He'd play for a sure Hall of Fame HC in Rick Barnes who has had a track record of being the coach for other very good PG's who played in the NBA. If Yuri's goal and dream is to play in the NBA he'd likely have a better chance reaching that goal playing for CRB than CTF. Either way I'm going to be watching Yuri play PG regardless of where that happens to be next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One other point of clarity...the 2nd paragraph in my original post is a copy and paste directly from the UT fan website. I thought it to be credible so I copied on Billikens.com so no one here was blind sided if in fact it does happen.

SLU_Lax likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Schasz:  Rumors are rumors, not disputing yours.  However, according to the ESPN/NBA Player roster, with players grouped by position, the only point guards Barnes is remotely associated with are DJ Augustin (2008) and  Avery Bradley (2010) out of Texas, and Jaden Springer (2021) out of Tennessee who has just played two total games with the Sixers' this year.  I don't think trading coaches from Ford to Barnes will mean much in terms of adding to Yuri's cred or stature.  Playing in the SEC and dominating would go a hell of a lot further.

The guy has been to one Final Four and won nothing outside a four conference championships and two conference tournaments in 36 years of coaching.   He does get to the Dane, I'll give him that.  But you seem to think that makes him a lock for the college Hall of Fame?  Okay ..... everybody's got an opinion .....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Schasz said:

I don't post something like Yuri possibly heading to Rocky Top unless I thought there was something to the rumor. UT is losing their 5 Star PG Kennedy Chandler to the NBA so there is an opening. As far as me being a troll give me a break...bet I've been a Bills fan and SLU Alum long before many on here were born.

As I said I am also a fan of both programs which last time I checked should be OK. I can also see some reasons why Yuri would consider playing at UT. He'd play for a sure Hall of Fame HC in Rick Barnes who has had a track record of being the coach for other very good PG's who played in the NBA. If Yuri's goal and dream is to play in the NBA he'd likely have a better chance reaching that goal playing for CRB than CTF. Either way I'm going to be watching Yuri play PG regardless of where that happens to be next season.

U are not a troll. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Schasz what Vol site is it?  Not all sites are created equal when it comes to insider info and recruiting info.  Just wondering how do you characterize the source?  Is the writer a site admin that works the recruiting trail and has likely access to insiders/staff?  Because they might be in the know.  If it's a credible source this is not good news.  Tennessee can offer some NIL opportunities that we won't see at SLU at least not yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

@Schasz what Vol site is it?  Not all sites are created equal when it comes to insider info and recruiting info.  Just wondering how do you characterize the source?  Is the writer a site admin that works the recruiting trail and has likely access to insiders/staff?  Because they might be in the know.  If it's a credible source this is not good news.  Tennessee can offer some NIL opportunities that we won't see at SLU at least not yet. 

In addition to posting here...I also post on Vol Nation. Beside UT hoops I also follow their football team and No. 1 rated baseball team. The post I saw and copied on Billikens.com website came from Volquest which in the past does post rumors they receive from reliable sources (suppose in time we'll find out how reliable this one becomes). Like SLU the Vols have some scholarships including their starting PG they are trying to fill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Schasz:  Rumors are rumors, not disputing yours.  However, according to the ESPN/NBA Player roster, with players grouped by position, the only point guards Barnes is remotely associated with are DJ Augustin (2008) and  Avery Bradley (2010) out of Texas, and Jaden Springer (2021) out of Tennessee who has just played two total games with the Sixers' this year.  I don't think trading coaches from Ford to Barnes will mean much in terms of adding to Yuri's cred or stature.  Playing in the SEC and dominating would go a hell of a lot further.

The guy has been to one Final Four and won nothing outside a four conference championships and two conference tournaments in 36 years of coaching.   He does get to the Dane, I'll give him that.  But you seem to think that makes him a lock for the college Hall of Fame?  Okay ..... everybody's got an opinion .....

Guess you forgot about TJ Ford at Texas!!! If Rick Barnes is not a Lock for the college basketball HOF then I'm not sure who is!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Schasz:  okay.  TJ Ford. Still ----- I don't see him producing all these NBA-ready point guards.  That was my point.  As for HoF --- I don't get a vote but that's okay by me. The only draw to go to Tennessee in my book is the level of competition.  Which has little to do with Coach Barnes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Why would someone mark Schasz as a troll? If he say's he read it, he read it. He's not trolling, he's been posting for as long as I have

Schaz is a long term Billiken fan.  Before he moved to Washington, he was a season ticket and a member of the Billiken Club. He was a Dogtowner and a Augie and SLU grad.  
He is not a troller.  By TheOldie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You post a rumor from another team fan board that is intended to get a rise then you have to expect people will have their temperatures raised so to be surprised by this seems a bit naive. For the record I don’t think Shaz is a troll but giving a slap at our head coach and hero worship for another coach who is rumored at raiding our player is obviously going to yank people chain. 

CBFan, BilliesBy40 and dlarry like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You post a rumor from another team fan board that is intended to get a rise then you have to expect people will have their temperatures raised so to be surprised by this seems a bit naive. For the record I don’t think Shaz is a troll but giving a slap at our head coach and hero worship for another coach who is rumored at raiding our player is obviously going to yank people chain. 

Let me put to you this way. If Yuri's goal has been to play in the NBA his whole life and he thinks UT and their program give him a much better chance to attain that goal then you would still think he should stay at SLU and take the chance to not attain his goal. That's crazy if you feel that way. 

I think Yuri should play where he thinks he has the best chance to attain his goal, and if that is the NBA go for it young man where you have the best chance to succeed.. It's not my decision or anyone else on Billikens.com...it's his. I'll continue to watch him play, and root for him whatever and wherever he decides to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going to UT will not give him a much better chance to get to the NBA. That's just not true. The NBA doesn't care who you play for. The only way he goes is if the Vols roll out some serious cash. SLU provides him with everything else he needs to achieve his goals.

brianstl likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...