Yuri

Schasz

2 hours ago, Schasz said:

Let me put to you this way. If Yuri's goal has been to play in the NBA his whole life and he thinks UT and their program give him a much better chance to attain that goal then you would still think he should stay at SLU and take the chance to not attain his goal. That's crazy if you feel that way. 

I think Yuri should play where he thinks he has the best chance to attain his goal, and if that is the NBA go for it young man where you have the best chance to succeed.. It's not my decision or anyone else on Billikens.com...it's his. I'll continue to watch him play, and root for him whatever and wherever he decides to play.

3BE0CCE5-5DA2-4DA3-BEC0-A9B4FBBA016B.gif.f084c1251f03228292e86bf7bfca2b71.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are good enough to play in the league, the league will find you.  I actually think that him transferring up would hurt his NBA chances. 

Yuri’s worst games are when they guard him with a taller player who understand how to defend.  There’s a reason he looks so great playing against LaSalle and George Mason.  

8 hours ago, Schasz said:

Let me put to you this way. If Yuri's goal has been to play in the NBA his whole life and he thinks UT and their program give him a much better chance to attain that goal then you would still think he should stay at SLU and take the chance to not attain his goal. That's crazy if you feel that way. 

I think Yuri should play where he thinks he has the best chance to attain his goal, and if that is the NBA go for it young man where you have the best chance to succeed.. It's not my decision or anyone else on Billikens.com...it's his. I'll continue to watch him play, and root for him whatever and wherever he decides to play.

As fan of the Billikens of course I want to keep our good players. If I want them to leave so it might be better for them then staying we just should shut the board down and go D2 or 3.  No use of trying because nobody good will ever stay!  Using your line of thought Moriant from Murray State would have never been drafted since he stayed. 

25 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

As fan of the Billikens of course I want to keep our good players. If I want them to leave so it might be better for them then staying we just should shut the board down and go D2 or 3.  No use of trying because nobody good will ever stay!  Using your line of thought Moriant from Murray State would have never been drafted since he stayed. 

i believe this is what the big boys p5 conferences are shooting for.   at least a two tier D1 where those in the big ten, big 12, acc, southeastern conference and the pac10 have their own playoff/tourney.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i believe this is what the big boys p5 conferences are shooting for.   at least a two tier D1 where those in the big ten, big 12, acc, southeastern conference and the pac10 have their own playoff/tourney.  

Well Shaz would apparently be cool with this

dlarry likes this

8 hours ago, Schasz said:

You have been a good poster one of my favorites.

In spite of your good credentials on this board and your age I would say you are old enough to know how some posters like myself would look at this thread.

My best posts are the ones I do not post because I will read the post I am about to submit and think about it and delete it.

This thread is one I would’ve have deleted because it stirs up unnecessary concern with posters on this site based on rumors.

You are not a troll but my reaction is bad thread.

9 hours ago, Schasz said:

The reason why 3 star players go to mid-majors in the first place is because that path is overwhelmingly the best chance of attaining their goal.  The best 3 stars get opportunities to play big minutes right away that they wouldn't get anywhere else.  They get the opportunity to fail and learn from their mistakes.  They get the opportunity to grow into "the man".

It's high major programs that are spinning the narrative that all-conference players leaving their teams improves those players chances of making the NBA.  They have no data to support their position.  In fact the the trend we've seen in the early stages of free agency has shown the opposite.

Let's keep it real. High majors want to use their mid-major competitors as a farm system.  Altruism has nothing to do with it.

slufanskip likes this

According to the way too early rankings, Tennessee is averaging around 15 while slu is around 25. So playing for a T25 is likely for both.

both teams likely headed for March madness.

A10 will be as deep as ever.

ford always puts together a tough OOC that gives yuri the chance to shine against high competition and in the national spotlight.

if yuri leaves for UT, it’s bc of NIL, that’s all. 

also didn’t yuri just say he wants to stay and play 2 more years like a month ago? 

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Morant at Murray State is not somebody that happens frequently at a school like Murray State, but remember at SLU we had Larry Hughes...so it does happen every so often at mid majors. I'm also a huge fan of SLU and former season ticket holder for years and spent a lot of coin attending SLU. No where have I EVER said I want Yuri to leave; however, I did say it would be his choice and would understand his reasons if he left. Frankly, I was passing along a rumor from a source that I know to be credible at times. Since I am a fan of UT and also frequently post on their fan website I thought Bills fans might be interested in this rumor. I can say that many Vol fans are interested in replacing Kennedy Chandler their Frosh PG who will be getting drafted in this year's NBA draft, and are interested in Yuri as a replacement possibility. 

48 minutes ago, wgstl said:

According to the way too early rankings, Tennessee is averaging around 15 while slu is around 25. So playing for a T25 is likely for both.

both teams likely headed for March madness.

A10 will be as deep as ever.

ford always puts together a tough OOC that gives yuri the chance to shine against high competition and in the national spotlight.

if yuri leaves for UT, it’s bc of NIL, that’s all. 

also didn’t yuri just say he wants to stay and play 2 more years like a month ago? 

No question at UT there is NIL money. One of their largest donors is Mr. Haslam who owns the Cleveland Browns and Pilot rest stop/gas stations all over. Would Yuri get NIL money(possibly). On the current UT hoops roster they do have both 4 and 5 star players who I'm sure benefit. Plus when Zakai Ziegler's mothers house burned to the ground, they set up a Go Fund Me page that raised over $300K immediately. I understand P-5 schools have Alums with lots of money.

"Let me put to you this way. If Yuri's goal has been to play in the NBA his whole life and he thinks UT and their program give him a much better chance to attain that goal then you would still think he should stay at SLU and take the chance to not attain his goal. That's crazy if you feel that way. 

I think Yuri should play where he thinks he has the best chance to attain his goal, and if that is the NBA go for it young man where you have the best chance to succeed.. It's not my decision or anyone else on Billikens.com...it's his. I'll continue to watch him play, and root for him whatever and wherever he decides to play."

This is the problem with too many people - they over focus on professional sports.  The chance that Yuri plays in the NBA is not great.  Hopefully he is grounded enough to realize it is a long shot.  Might going to Tennessee slightly increase his chances of making the NBA?  Maybe.  At the same time, however, it will hurt his chances of otherwise being successful in life.  Yuri has become a hometown hero.  He is set up to be recognized and rewarded in St. Louis for the rest of his life.  If he bails on St. Louis at this point for - at best - a slightly increased chance at the NBA by going to Tennessee, what's that done to his chances of success the rest of his life?

People who care about college players need to remind them that the decisions of where they play college ball are life long decisions.  They shouldn't be focused solely or even primarily on how it affects their chances of making it to the pros.  They also have to think about life after their playing days are over.  A true fan wants what is best for the player, but a true fan takes the long view, not the short view.  Anyone who is not a UT fan would say what is best for Yuri is to stay in St. Louis, finish out his college career at SLU, take his chances with a pro career then, and when he is done playing sports, return to St. Louis and be honored for the decisions he made.  The UT fans will forget Yuri the day he graduates and it will do nothing to improve the rest of his life opportunities.  The only reason a UT fan would want Yuri to transfer is for their own self-interest (to advance their program), not for Yuri's best interest.

When the rumors started about the NCAA doing away with the transfers sit out a year rule I knew this would be trouble for the mids. Some argued, however, it would be good for mids because we’d get good players who couldn’t cut it at the P6 level. It made no sense to me that trading a mid all conference player for a P6 bench rider placed everyone on a level playing field. 
If Yurimania leaves for Knoxville,  it will be devastating for this team. I highly doubt we will find a P6 bench rider who adequately replace him. 
Then when NLI was passed this turned college sports into a professional enterprise. Basically, these two rules add up to unrestricted free agency without the benefit of schools being able to use the franchise tag. 
Bottom line, mids are effed and might actually be better off forming a new governing body with more equitable policies. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

When the rumors started about the NCAA doing away with the transfers sit out a year rule I knew this would be trouble for the mids. Some argued, however, it would be good for mids because we’d get good players who couldn’t cut it at the P6 level. It made no sense to me that trading a mid all conference player for a P6 bench rider placed everyone on a level playing field. 
If Yurimania leaves for Knoxville,  it will be devastating for this team. I highly doubt we will find a P6 bench rider who adequately replace him. 
Then when NLI was passed this turned college sports into a professional enterprise. Basically, these two rules add up to unrestricted free agency without the benefit of schools being able to use the franchise tag. 
Bottom line, mids are effed and might actually be better off forming a new governing body with more equitable policies. 

I 100% agree with the bolded.

bauman likes this

36 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Morant at Murray State is not somebody that happens frequently at a school like Murray State, but remember at SLU we had Larry Hughes...so it does happen every so often at mid majors. I'm also a huge fan of SLU and former season ticket holder for years and spent a lot of coin attending SLU. No where have I EVER said I want Yuri to leave; however, I did say it would be his choice and would understand his reasons if he left. Frankly, I was passing along a rumor from a source that I know to be credible at times. Since I am a fan of UT and also frequently post on their fan website I thought Bills fans might be interested in this rumor. I can say that many Vol fans are interested in replacing Kennedy Chandler their Frosh PG who will be getting drafted in this year's NBA draft, and are interested in Yuri as a replacement possibility. 

Reread your posts - you sure sound like a Vols fan before a Billiken fan.  You tried to make a case for why it was better that he leave SLU.  

Schasz keeps pointing to Yuri having a much better chance of going to the NBA thru UT, which is hogwash. The only reason he leaves is for money. Period. UT has nothing to offer in addition to cash. And it will have nothing to do with the coach, the conference or the school. And nobody here has said they wouldn't want Yuri to do what's best for him and his family. The argument is weather it would help his chances of getting to the NBA (which is a longshot wherever he plays). Keep in mind while he led the country in assist he also led the country in turnovers and was 100th in assist/turnover ratio. His outside shot is not even close to NBA standards and his defense is limited by his size. If I was in his ear I would encourage him to do what's best for his life after basketball.

bauman likes this

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Reread your posts - you sure sound like a Vols fan before a Billiken fan.  You tried to make a case for why it was better that he leave SLU.  

I don't think he is, but I agree the post comes off that way. I'm glad he posted what he saw as he did post it was from a fan site. 

I also don't think playing for the faux UT is going to help him get to the NBA any more than playing for SLU will. I'd be very disappointed if Yuri left. Travis has shown an incredible amount of confidence in Yuri and clearly saw more in him than most. 

bauman and A10Ref like this

58 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I thought this at first, but Yuri would be the first Billiken (recently) to leave SLU for a P6, wouldn’t he? Conversely, we’ve had Okoro and Bess (before the new rule, but still) transfer to SLU from P6 programs, which seems to be more of the norm. 

You can throw this take in the trash once the Yuri’s and Jimerson’s start joining state schools. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I think every time Schaz posts a UT update, someone in the know should post a Vanderbilt update….that might slow down the UT drivel  a wee bit…

Objection is again raised here to labeling SLU a "mid-major."

Outsiders in the Power 5 + 1 (Big East) do it.  In my opinion, we should not label us that way ourselves.  This is not a matter of world peace, more a pet peeve.

The Atlantic 10 traditionally was not considered a mid-major, rather a High Major, No (D-1A) Football.  The Atlantic 10 traditionally has been a multi-bid league, which was one of the unofficial dividing lines.  When Xavier was in the A10, Xavier refused a mid-major award, which was to be given to one of its players.

Even in a relative down year in '21-'22, the A10 was the 10th ranked conference per the NET, meaning the A10 even in a down year was a Top 10 Conference.   The NCAA Committee revealed that Dayton was going to receive the final at large bid had Richmond not won the A10 Tourney.  So we know the A10 in '22 was still going to be a multi-bid league irrespective of the A10 Tourney Championship Game result.

In a good year, the A10 vied with the American Athletic (AAC) for #7.  #8 was a typical A10 slot.

17 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Objection is again raised here to labeling SLU a "mid-major."

Outsiders in the Power 5 + 1 (Big East) do it.  In my opinion, we should not label us that way ourselves.  This is not a matter of world peace, more a pet peeve.

The Atlantic 10 traditionally was not considered a mid-major, rather a High Major, No (D-1A) Football.  The Atlantic 10 traditionally has been a multi-bid league, which was one of the unofficial dividing lines.  When Xavier was in the A10, Xavier refused a mid-major award, which was to be given to one of its players.

Even in a relative down year in '21-'22, the A10 was the 10th ranked conference per the NET, meaning the A10 even in a down year was a Top 10 Conference.   The NCAA Committee revealed that Dayton was going to receive the final at large bid had Richmond not won the A10 Tourney.  So we know the A10 in '22 was still going to be a multi-bid league irrespective of the A10 Tourney Championship Game result.

In a good year, the A10 vied with the American Athletic (AAC) for #7.  #8 was a typical A10 slot.

Interested in where you would rate the hoops league the Zags play in...this year they received 3 bids?

I think this kind of discussion fits quite well into the Western/Catholic tradition. After all the monks in the middle ages spent lots of time and effort discussing how many angels would fit on top of a pin's head. So, what is the best option available to Yuri? the answer to that is simply whatever Yuri decides is the best option open to him. Other than that we are discussing rumors we hear, or strong desires that drive what we want to believe.

I think this board should be open to everyone's opinions, whatever they may be. After all, what we are posting, at least at this time of the year, are essentially rumors and personal opinions. My personal opinion in this regard is that I hope Yuri comes back to SLU to play the next season. I hope this is Yuri's choice.

28 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Interested in where you would rate the hoops league the Zags play in...this year they received 3 bids?

The WCC traditionally was considered a mid-major, like the MVC, at the highest level of mid-majors.  However, Gonzaga is certainly no longer anywhere near being a mid-major.  Gonzaga is without question a High Major.  Recent WCC member BYU is not a mid-major either, but is moving to the Big XII.

Another study is the Mountain West.  The Mountain West was never considered a mid-major.  But I sometimes see it dubbed one now.  It is not.  The Mountain West had 4 NCAA teams in '22, the WCC 3, to the Pac-12's 3.  And there was no other Pac-12 team even close to being NCAA Tourney worthy.

The mid-major moniker has migrated into Power 5 + 1 lexicon.