GDT: Bonaventure Round 2

johnbj14

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

guess Rick and Rammer are idiots, because there are people on this board that said our geographical location can’t possibly cause us to be refereed differently. 

Rammer isn’t exactly credible when it comes to officials and Majerus wouldn’t be the first coach to complain about officials. It’s ok to take off the tin foil hat. There isn’t a big conspiracy against Saint Louis basketball hahah

Lando Griffin likes this

50 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Rammer isn’t exactly credible when it comes to officials and Majerus wouldn’t be the first coach to complain about officials. It’s ok to take off the tin foil hat. There isn’t a big conspiracy against Saint Louis basketball hahah

it's possible to have biased refereeing without a conspiracy. 

rgbilliken likes this

48 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

You’ve just tried to stir it up with literally everyone in this thread, so I’m not gonna engage a troll any longer after this, but you’re just ignoring the 30% reduction in free throw rate (FTR) from non-con to conference. I’m sure that’s pure coincidence. 

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

You’ve just tried to stir it up with literally everyone in this thread, so I’m not gonna engage a troll any longer after this, but you’re just ignoring the 30% reduction in free throw rate (FTR) from non-con to conference. I’m sure that’s pure coincidence. 

I’m just saying i don’t think there’s a massive decade long conspiracy amongst hundreds if not thousands of individuals to take down Saint Louis University basketball because our school is west of the other A10 schools.

Lando Griffin likes this

18 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

it's possible to have biased refereeing without a conspiracy. 

Yes for sure. I think it’s possible we get a tough whistle in games for sure. I’m just saying it’s not a Geography issue. For example, I firmly believe we get a bad whistle sometimes because Ford is prone to histrionics on the bench and he rubs refs the wrong way.

34 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Yes for sure. I think it’s possible we get a tough whistle in games for sure. I’m just saying it’s not a Geography issue. For example, I firmly believe we get a bad whistle sometimes because Ford is prone to histrionics on the bench and he rubs refs the wrong way.

i dont see Ford acting much different than 90-95% of all college coaches.   imo you are way off base on this angle.  To be honest, i think to succeed in D1 you better be working the referees.   

rgbilliken, Schasz and SShoe like this

55 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I’m just saying i don’t think there’s a massive decade long conspiracy amongst hundreds if not thousands of individuals to take down Saint Louis University basketball because our school is west of the other A10 schools.

Agree. A good team can also overcome poor officiating.

Billikens.com drinking game.  Grab a 30 pack (DONT do shots) and drink every time someone in a GDT complains about the refs. You’ll be hammered within the first 10 min of the first half. 

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:
guess Rick and Rammer are idiots, because there are people on this board that said our geographical location can’t possibly cause us to be refereed differently. 

I recall hearing Majerus talk about being a geographic outlier and the disadvantages of being so, but don’t recall it being in reference to officiating. Was that one of his concerns?

56 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Well, if you see a statistical outlier, then it is useful to have an explanation. Someone should pull the stats of the last 15 years and see how often we we in the red on fouls in conference. If there is a consistent issue, across multiple coaches and styles of play, then geographical influence is as good of an explanation as any.

Ford noted 3 years ago that the refs were hard on the Bills because all of the other coaches complain about them in particular. VCU has had an aggressive defense the entire time they have been in the A10, do they get the same treatment from other coaches?

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont see Ford acting much different than 90-95% of all college coaches.   imo you are way off base on this angle.  To be honest, i think to succeed in D1 you better be working the referees.   

I often say it is comical watching adult millionaires berate officials and how candidly it should be seen as deplorable behavior, but over time and watching coaches who don’t I sadly tend to think working the officials is necessary. I don’t find Ford to be aggressively hostile to officials unless I’m missing it.

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I recall hearing Majerus talk about being a geographic outlier and the disadvantages of being so, but don’t recall it being in reference to officiating. Was that one of his concerns?

Rammer is certainly implying that it was… I don’t know exactly what Rick meant, but I assume it was along the lines of other schools getting preferential treatment in a variety of ways. I’d include refereeing in that, whether it is intentional or just an inherent bias. 

15 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I often say it is comical watching adult millionaires berate officials and how candidly it should be seen as deplorable behavior, but over time and watching coaches who don’t I sadly tend to think working the officials is necessary. I don’t find Ford to be aggressively hostile to officials unless I’m missing it.

Gregg Marshall would like to have a word :)

50 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Well, if you see a statistical outlier, then it is useful to have an explanation. Someone should pull the stats of the last 15 years and see how often we we in the red on fouls in conference. If there is a consistent issue, across multiple coaches and styles of play, then geographical influence is as good of an explanation as any.

for the decade from 11-21, SLU committed 1,867 PF in A-10 play and their opponents committed 1,866. (rough math, i took per game in conf play and multiplied by 18 conf game per year except for shortened Covid years)

It’s almost statistically impossible for it to be this balanced haha

*Yes this year we are getting a tough whistle but DEFINITELY not the decade prior to this year

12 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I assume you watched the game.  In the last 1:22 we fouled the Bonnies 5 times.  Why did we foul? You know why. 

We shot 17 FT, the Bonnies shot 16 FT (even with our last minute and a half purposeful following). 

I fail to see overriding fouls-bias as being a factor.

dlarry and willie like this

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I assume you watched the game.  In the last 1:22 we fouled the Bonnies 5 times.  Why did we foul? You know why. 

We shot 17 FT, the Bonnies shot 16 FT (even with our last minute and a half purposeful following). 

I fail to see overriding fouls-bias as being a factor.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy. 

27 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

for the decade from 11-21, SLU committed 1,867 PF in A-10 play and their opponents committed 1,866. (rough math, i took per game in conf play and multiplied by 18 conf game per year except for shortened Covid years)

It’s almost statistically impossible for it to be this balanced haha

*Yes this year we are getting a tough whistle but DEFINITELY not the decade prior to this year

Which is why the only logical explanation for this has to be that you manipulated the data to cover up the blatant officiating bias SLU has experienced the past decade. You switched the samples didn't you, Dr. Nichols? You almost got away with it, didn't you?

9 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

https://twitter.com/westpinebills/status/1493406302864908292?s=12

We’re still waiting for the explanations from certain precincts.
Is it a mere coincidence, a statistical anomaly, or is it just branded and dismissed as a conspiracy?

Its just a dumb tweet. It’s statistical noise. We have played like 12 non con and 12 conference games. There were two games in the non-conference (SFA and Boise) where we shot like 70 FT total. And there was the Duq game where we shot 7 FT. A few random games in a small sample size like this will throw averages off a ton. 

And for what it’s worth, other teams experience the same thing. VCU (not in midwest last i’ve heard) is averaging 16 FTA and allowing 19 FTA per game on the season. However, in conference play, they are shooting 14 per game and allowing 22.

Is A10 biased against VCU too? Does VCU bring in too much money from multiple NCAA tourney appearances? 

The defense rests.

Here is every A10 team's non conference vs conference free throw rate. I'll be interested in the geographical conspiracy against Fordham, Dayton, VCU, and Duquesne. 9 of the 14 teams have a lower free throw rate in conference play than non-conference. A10 teams have a free throw rate of 28.6% in A10 play which is the 6th lowest rate of any conference in the country. Guys, I think there are just less fouls being called across the board in conference play. But let's keep up the conspiracies. I wouldn't expect anything less from this board. 

Screenshot 2022-02-15 105631.png

thetorch likes this

3 minutes ago, ARon said:

Didn’t Bonnie only have 1 FT attempt in the first half Friday night?

And have you ever seen a college coach that didn’t complain about the refs at some point each season?  I haven’t.

We had The bonnies right where we wanted them as far as foul trouble goes friday. The coaches ruined that one, not the refs.  Although you could argue Osun should have had a few more called that night.

ARon likes this

16 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Here is every A10 team's non conference vs conference free throw rate. I'll be interested in the geographical conspiracy against Fordham, Dayton, VCU, and Duquesne. 9 of the 14 teams have a lower free throw rate in conference play than non-conference. A10 teams have a free throw rate of 28.6% in A10 play which is the 6th lowest rate of any conference in the country. Guys, I think there are just less fouls being called across the board in conference play. But let's keep up the conspiracies. I wouldn't expect anything less from this board. 

Screenshot 2022-02-15 105631.png

How does Creighton compare in big east since they are the outpost there?

billiken_roy likes this