Travis Ford is a good coach

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

Who wouldn't want to come back and play for the pre-season conference favorite aside what might be the best point guard in the country next season? Parker might see a lot of early minutes if Perkins comes back and is still working back to 100%

it didn't work out so well this year :)

55 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

selfishly of course i want the modern day george ice man gervin being a billiken next year.   but i believe to again risk injury and give up another year of income is not a good decision for javonte.  

now if he has non-basketball aspirations that require additional schooling, well by all means, take advantage of the premium education saint louis university will give him at no out of pocket expense while he plays basketball (see fred thatch).  but otherwise go make money. 

I do not think there is a limit on NIL, so there is money to be made. Billiken board needs to start an NIL fund. a suggestion might be a series of interviews concerning rehab and getting ready for next year etc. take collection from the mbm's and proceeds go to j smooth

46 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

But that wasn’t what was said in the original post which I objected to. It’s who would be “the” favorite, not your or his favorite. The favorite will be Davidson or Dayton. It’s not up for debate. It just is.

Fair 

this is why I don’t follow preseason rankings or AP polls, only kenpom, T-rank etc 

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

I do not think there is a limit on NIL, so there is money to be made. Billiken board needs to start an NIL fund. a suggestion might be a series of interviews concerning rehab and getting ready for next year etc. take collection from the mbm's and proceeds go to j smooth

-if there were 50 posters that would give $100 that's only $5,000, not worth the time to establish and administer and probably laughed at by a men's bball player considering what I imagine (no proof) other players out there are getting, I would guess we would need 10 times this to have any impact and 20 times it to be effective

-also what do the other players not getting paid from this fund think? might not be the best for team unity

-hope I am wrong on the level of support it would generate

3 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

SLU won’t be the conference favorite, even with Perkins back. Dayton will get a lot of love. VCU too. 

Not necessarily true.  Rosters are likely to be in flux for months.  I can see key, young, hotshot players leaving A10 teams for greener pastures just like last year (see Tre Mitchell, others).  Assuming squads will be stable is very naive.  NCAA has brought "free agency" to college basketball. 

Hopefully Ford can hold the key pieces of SLU's roster and maybe pick up an impact big.  Would love to have a real power forward and Okoro.

Schasz likes this

48 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-if there were 50 posters that would give $100 that's only $5,000, not worth the time to establish and administer and probably laughed at by a men's bball player considering what I imagine (no proof) other players out there are getting, I would guess we would need 10 times this to have any impact and 20 times it to be effective

-also what do the other players not getting paid from this fund think? might not be the best for team unity

other players have nil deals already, i have no idea what the value is or how much does it cost to have a podcast and a gofundme. there are posters on this board that are involved in podcasts i was just tossing out an idea saying that money can be made without playing in europe. Is it expensive to record a zoom call and put it on a message board and then give a check to a player?

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

Need to approach Imo’s about a gig. That has to be more than $5k, which I agree is chicken feed in todays NIL world. 

3 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Not necessarily true.  Rosters are likely to be in flux for months.  I can see key, young, hotshot players leaving A10 teams for greener pastures just like last year (see Tre Mitchell, others).  Assuming squads will be stable is very naive.  NCAA has brought "free agency" to college basketball. 

Hopefully Ford can hold the key pieces of SLU's roster and maybe pick up an impact big.  Would love to have a real power forward and Okoro.

The Tre Mitchell saga irrefutably supports the argument a player is better off staying in a conference such as the A10 rather than moving on to the P5…

16 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

I think you’re underestimating how much $5,000(ish) is to a college athlete.

i'd be careful with this plan of mbm's devising and executing $$$$ to perkins.   i'd make darn sure this is ncaa ok.   i find it hard to believe this is what the ncaa envisioned when they started this NIL thing.    unless someone presents billiken compliance saying all is well.   i am out.   

i refer all of you to the slubillikens.com website section on boosters:

https://slubillikens.com/sports/2011/8/10/205241768.aspx 

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i'd be careful with this plan of mbm's devising and executing $$$$ to perkins.   i'd make darn sure this is ncaa ok.   i find it hard to believe this is what the ncaa envisioned when they started this NIL thing.    unless someone presents billiken compliance saying all is well.   i am out.   

i dont think the ncaa started the nil thing it was the courts and it is wide open for players with no limit on the income. A guy like luther burden de commits from oklahoma to go to missouri and says "it was a business decision" he is getting paid. i wont pretend to know all the ins and outs of nil, but if slu wants the best players to come and stay they need to know

brianstl likes this

i understand dennis, but i would hate to do something innocently with great intentions and then the ncaa comes down on the player concerned because it wasnt an approved scenario.   good luck with your plan, but i am more cautious and value my fandom more than taking that chance.   

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i understand dennis, but i would hate to do something innocently with great intentions and then the ncaa comes down on the player concerned because it wasnt an approved scenario.   good luck with your plan, but i am more cautious and value my fandom more than taking that chance.   

The statements made by the NCAA and its president since the court case are directly encouraging anyone to do just about anything. I feel like the NCAA is scared to try and act against things. 

dennis_w likes this

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

good luck

https://spry.so/nil-state-guide/missouri-nil-law-for-ncaa/

48 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont think the ncaa started the nil thing it was the courts and it is wide open for players with no limit on the income. A guy like luther burden de commits from oklahoma to go to missouri and says "it was a business decision" he is getting paid. i wont pretend to know all the ins and outs of nil, but if slu wants the best players to come and stay they need to know

Ford deserves some credit for the development of Yuri and Jimmer - they had to each take on a lot more responsibility after Perkins went down. They both stepped up and really expanded their games. Thatch and Okoro are a couple of other examples of players who improved over the course of the season.